News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Games played by premiership players in 2010 when we also finished stone motherless last:

22 Cox
21 LeCras, Waters
20 Embley
16 Selwood
14 Lynch
10 Jones
8 Glass
5 Butler
4 Kerr
2 Hansen

11 premiership players played 143 games for an average of 13 games each. Virtually identical to last season.

Guess that means we’re headed for a prelim. Buckle up campaigners.
Id prefer fax, not facts on this internet forum please.
This is too well researched and methodical.
Basically Pulitzer journalism.

I'm watching AFL 360 for the first time. Trying to make the most of this Kayo sub. Robbo really is pissed during this, isn't he? Slurring rants and nonsense, it's embarrassing.

Stopped watching that Vic biased sh!t show VFL 360 years ago.

My mental health was suffering.

And yes, Slobo does come across as intoxicated during his many rants.

I love the disparity of Vic media reporting on us

"Eagles are so bad clubs that play them twice have an unfair advantage this year!"

"Eagles are so rich that giving them compensation picks would create an unfair advantage!"

I don’t have an issue with anyone that says we shouldn’t get draft assistance because they don’t want the draft compromised with compensation picks or that we played finals as recently as 2020/won a flag in 2018. Those are valid arguments even if you think otherwise.

Even the notion that our current plight is the result of our bad decisions so tough luck has merit provided you ignore that North’s decisions put them in their hole

However, the stupidest argument is that we’ve got lots of money so we shouldn’t get assistance. The competition is designed specifically to prevent rich clubs from having an advantage. The draft, the salary cap and the football department soft cap mean that all clubs are equal in what they can spend in an onfield sense regardless of bank balance. We simply can’t buy our way to success

Our relative wealth is taken into account in the AFL’s distribution to clubs when we are perpetually last in money received. It shouldn’t then also be used as a reason to deny draft assistance

I'm watching AFL 360 for the first time. Trying to make the most of this Kayo sub. Robbo really is pissed during this, isn't he? Slurring rants and nonsense, it's embarrassing.
I can’t watch it for this reason. I cringe every time he talks. I don’t know what he’s doing still on there. He’s incoherent the majority of the time

Footballers age like cars: inconsistently.

For every Rolls Royce like Scott Pendlebury, there are hundreds of VWs – banged up and barely hanging on.

At his best Gaff was like a Landcruiser Prado – ultra durable and able to run all day.

That is up there with the dumbest footy articles I ever read

Bags the crap out him, even has a graph to show how hes declined, but somehow argues that supporters shouldn't be calling for him to be dropped and just be grateful he was a good player at some point. I suppose only ABC journos should have an opinion on selections.

And the comparison to Harley at the end...wtf???

Just braindead stuff

After reading those 2 posts...

Meltdown Feels GIF

That is up there with the dumbest footy articles I ever read

Bags the crap out him, even has a graph to show how hes declined, but somehow argues that supporters shouldn't be calling for him to be dropped and just be grateful he was a good player at some point. I suppose only ABC journos should have an opinion on selections.

And the comparison to Harley at the end...wtf???

Just braindead stuff
Yeah, way to miss the point.

No one's saying he isn't in decline and even his staunchest supporters know his time has probably come.

But it's the dumb *s that like to stick the boot in and just abuse him.

Like the article says.

"There's an almost gleeful element to some observers when they pick over the bones of a footballer in decline."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s a really good article and one those who’d rubbish Gaff would do well to read
I don't think anybody is saying that Gaff wasn't an A grade player in his prime or that hasn't made a great contribution to the club. But he isn't an A grade player anymore. Lack of pace in a game that is getting faster and faster every year being the main issue. Plus a kick that never was penetrating and now he can barely kick over a jam tin. He isn't offering us anything more than the next best young player into the 22 would be and you could even argue he is offering less. And we are supposedly rebuilding and prioritising younger players. Both the club and the player have their heads in the sand and are refusing to acknowledge any of this and make the sensible decision for him to retire with some dignity.

In all likelihood he will go back to the WAFL and have a few high possession games, then get promoted back into the seniors and be exposed again and have another couple of shockers and the club will get roasted in the media again, after which the club will tell him to retire and give him a farewell game. And it will all have been a waste of time and a list spot and they could have told him to retire last year. The whole thing is just an obvious exemplification of the underlying problem at the club - the abject refusal of those in charge over the last few years to deal with reality in terms of both individual players and their overall list, and to make hard decisions that might upset people in the short term. You really have to call into question the judgement of both Simpson and ROB that they let him play on.

Yeah, way to miss the point.

No one's saying he isn't in decline and even his staunchest supporters know his time has probably come.

But it's the dumb *s that like to stick the boot in and just abuse him.

Like the article says.

"There's an almost gleeful element to some observers when they pick over the bones of a footballer in decline."

No ones doing that though and its the cheapest argument to suggest it for thise that didnt see the obvious happening themselves. So way to miss the point yourself

His time had come a while ago, supporters who saw the obvious and pointed it out have been proven completely correct. Doesnt mean they are happy about it, but when the MC continually refused to see what is right in front of them how else are people supposed to react?

It's entirely on the MC and the whole club for not acting sooner. The article uses Priddis as an example of how to do it respectfully.

Compare how Simpson and the club handled the two and see if you can figure out the difference

No ones doing that though and its the cheapest argument to suggest it for thise that didnt see the obvious happening themselves. So way to miss the point yourself

His time had come a while ago, supporters who saw the obvious and pointed it out have been proven completely correct. Doesnt mean they are happy about it, but when the MC continually refused to see what is right in front of them how else are people supposed to react?

It's entirely on the MC and the whole club for not acting sooner. The article uses Priddis as an example of how to do it respectfully.

Compare how Simpson and the club handled the two and see if you can figure out the difference
"No one's doing that"
Seriously??
Suggest you go back and look at some posts.

You're still missing the point.
It's not that Gaff has come to the end, it's the delight people seem to get out of abusing him.

And if Gaff was still being picked, how is that his fault?
Gaff probably did get picked when he didn't deserve to, but last year we even struggled to field a team at times.

"No one's doing that"
Seriously??
Suggest you go back and look at some posts.

You're still missing the point.
It's not that Gaff has come to the end, it's the delight people seem to get out of abusing him.

And if Gaff was still being picked, how is that his fault?
Gaff probably did get picked when he didn't deserve to, but last year we even struggled to field a team at times.

A small handful "get a delight out of abusing him". There's always a small handful of clowns in every situation that take it too far.

Mistaking that for those that acknowledge he's been a good servant but was done a while ago and probably shouldn't have been given such a large contract is just a lazy argument.

I've personally stated numerous times it isn't Gaffs fault we decided to pay him so much, good on him. But it was still a bad call by the club.

How dare I have that opinion

A small handful "get a delight out of abusing him". There's always a small handful of clowns in every situation that take it too far.

Mistaking that for those that acknowledge he's been a good servant but was done a while ago and probably shouldn't have been given such a large contract is just a lazy argument.

I've personally stated numerous times it isn't Gaffs fault we decided to pay him so much, good on him. But it was still a bad call by the club.

How dare I have that opinion
Well you contradicted yourself TBF.

Firstly you Said "No one's doing that" and now you say "'A small handful do".

Thought it was clear the article was about people who take delight in sticking the boot into footballers in Decline.

How dare I have that opinion.

Let's agree to disagree I guess.

Gaff has been way more than a good servant
Hence discussion about his place in all time WCE team.
People sometimes have short memories.
Will always be a champion of the club & champion winger in the competition.
Banging on because we are shite....well, that aint Gafff's fault....& the contract he signed is a pittance to contemporary

Well you contradicted yourself TBF.

Firstly you Said "No one's doing that" and now you say "'A small handful do".

Thought it was clear the article was about people who take delight in sticking the boot into footballers in Decline.

How dare I have that opinion.

Let's agree to disagree I guess.

Oh really?

The article is pretty clearly about anyone who dares question his place in the team

"The howls for Gaff's axing have grown over the past couple of years, as though a decelerating wingman was solely responsible for the club's plight."

No, the "howls for Gaffs axing" have grown because it's become as clear as day to anyone with half a football brain that the game passed him by quite a while ago, but apparently not our MC or a few sensitive souls on here

My qualm was with the whole premise of the article, it's complete horseshit.

Oh really?

The article is pretty clearly about anyone who dares question his place in the team

"The howls for Gaff's axing have grown over the past couple of years, as though a decelerating wingman was solely responsible for the club's plight."

No, the "howls for Gaffs axing" have grown because it's become as clear as day to anyone with half a football brain that the game passed him by quite a while ago, but apparently not our MC or a few sensitive souls on here

My qualm was with the whole premise of the article, it's complete horseshit.
Is he solely responsible for the team's decline?

Is he solely responsible for the team's decline?

Of course he's not, that's my problem with the article and whys it's utter bullshit.

The whole premise is anyone questioning Gaffs place in the team thinks hes responsible for all that's wrong at the club.

Noone.....literally noone thinks that.

The fact that needs explaining is hilarious

Of course he's not, that's my problem with the article and whys it's utter bullshit.

The whole premise is anyone questioning Gaffs place in the team thinks hes responsible for all that's wrong at the club.

Noone.....literally noone thinks that.

The fact that needs explaining is hilarious
I think you completely misinterpreted that part of the article.

Gaff has been way more than a good servant
Hence discussion about his place in all time WCE team.
People sometimes have short memories.
Will always be a champion of the club & champion winger in the competition.
Banging on because we are shite....well, that aint Gafff's fault....& the contract he signed is a pittance to contemporary
The hard thing with a successful club is if you're not a premiership player, you're likely to drop out of the all time best 22 sooner or later. We already have so many good midfielders to fit into a 22 that Gaff is shaky. Pridda suffers from the same issue and he won a brownlow!

If Barnett turns into an AA ruck and wins the 2030 flag, Nic Nat will be out sooner than later. Hell, off team balance alone, you could already argue that Cox with Darling as ruck/forward (with suma and JK as tall forwards) is the way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back