News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

None of this surprises me at all. I doubt it gets legs though - Wilkey is a prime turkey and no-one cares what he says.
I think it's either everything or nothing but regardless it is a truly wild thing to happen. What Wilkie has done is allow journalists to report on it. The only way this blows over is If there's nothing to it, if there is it will come out.

The fact that it feels true tells you all you need to know about the AFL.

I think it's either everything or nothing but regardless it is a truly wild thing to happen. What Wilkie has done is allow journalists to report on it. The only way this blows over is If there's nothing to it, if there is it will come out.

The fact that it feels true tells you all you need to know about the AFL.
Yeah it doesnt matter much who as said it, once it is out there it will prompt an investigation. I'd wager the weekly AFL executives weekly coke allowance that at least the bulk of that is true.

SEN Chief Reporter Sam Edmund has spoken to the AFL regarding the allegations, saying they're well aware that this happens:

“I’ve spoken to the AFL this morning, the league don’t deny this happens and in fact they admit that it does happen, but they say that it sits well within their medical model,” Edmund told SEN Breakfast.

None of this surprises me at all. I doubt it gets legs though - Wilkey is a prime turkey and no-one cares what he says.
He's 100 per cent correct that the gambling industry is corrupt, is preying on vulnerable people and deserves regulation though.

Last edited:
Brian Taylor and i think Brayshaw just said that the Pies are such good travellers they love to travel and it goes back to the Malthouse days. What a load of rubbish when do they travel>

To be fair, they did go 5-1 interstate last season, only losing to Brisbane at the Gabba.

It could also be argued that it is much easier to prepare for travel when it happens just six times a season, however.

Magpies had five straight home matches going into finals last year (which were all at home also).

This year, they will travel outside Victoria just once after June, playing 7 of 8 matches at home before finals.

Magpies had five straight home matches going into finals last year (which were all at home also).

This year, they will travel outside Victoria just once after June, playing 7 of 8 matches at home before finals.
Can totally understand how a fair minded person would see those two statistics as both fair and coincidental.

To be fair, they did go 5-1 interstate last season, only losing to Brisbane at the Gabba.

It could also be argued that it is much easier to prepare for travel when it happens just six times a season, however.

I'd also love travelling if it was just the occasional interstate trip with the boys

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I will clarify that I’m not in the know with what goes on internally at the Eagles so what I’m suggesting is from an outsider’s point-of-view.

However, from what I can tell, Tom Barrass is in reasonable form and one of the premier backmen in the league, so he stays put. But Jeremy McGovern, with his consistent high mark, beautiful kick, courageous play, and football smarts, could easily be given permission to roam the forward line as he sees fit.

It could just well provide the Eagles with that key forward target they so desperately need.

As a result of this, Darling could get the chance to play as a key half-back. He also reads the play well, is reasonably quick, and would become the hunter as opposed to being hunted down every game of his life.

It may just be the freedom he needs to boost his confidence. I’m not for one moment saying it’s an easier option to play in the backline, but it can be freeing for some players.

Has been on the rumour board for days now. Did Sam McClure get it from there and is running with it? Also on the Dailymail, so not the best of news outlets but smoke, fire etc. s**t blokes if the news is true

Haha
To be fair, he did say 'reasonably quick'.
!!! It also becomes a senseless argument when you ask someone who has no thirst for the contest and doesn't wanna stick his head over the pill to go play defence. If he can't take a chest mark on the lead 80m from goal, or tangle with a defender to lose out in said contest, he really has no place in the side

Haha
!!! It also becomes a senseless argument when you ask someone who has no thirst for the contest and doesn't wanna stick his head over the pill to go play defence. If he can't take a chest mark on the lead 80m from goal, or tangle with a defender to lose out in said contest, he really has no place in the side
That’s a bit unfair. Whilst I think the game is passing Darling by (whether by age, injury or whatever), I think Darling has given his all for the team (vaccine idiocy aside). I think he simply can’t do what he used to do and is frustrated by it (much like Gaff) and it is somewhat painful to watch.

Our delivery to him and lack of support doesn’t help but he can’t apply pressure anymore or get any separation from defenders. But to suggest he has no thirst for the contest is unfair in my view. That said, I don’t see moving him to defence as viable or likely and not sure how much longer he has in the side to find form or whether there is much future there. Time will tell I guess.

Haha
This is absolute trash. Darling sat under plenty of high balls last week and got absolutely smashed by the defenders coming into spoil. He didn't flinch once.

Bloke is a bit out of form and the delivery inside 50 is crucifying him. He's still putting in the effort but it's not quite coming off.

This is absolute trash. Darling sat under plenty of high balls last week and got absolutely smashed by the defenders coming into spoil. He didn't flinch once.

Bloke is a bit out of form and the delivery inside 50 is crucifying him. He's still putting in the effort but it's not quite coming off.
Watch how many times in this weeks game that he fails to keep his feet. Knows he can't run so he hides it by falling to the ground after each contest. WAFL player along with Gaff.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back