MEGA THREAD***** Hawthorn vs Collingwood + umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hawthorn vs Collingwood + umpires

I didn't see a single umpire put hands on the throat of any Hawk player - so how come they choked???

Seriously it was a great game and to blame the umps for the Hawks loss is absolute rubbish.

I don't think the umpires cost the hawks the game - I think poor kicking cost us the game. I think the hawks outplayed the pies for three quarters and if not for EASY missed shots in front of goal the game would of been all over at the end of the third but unfortunately the hawks didn't capitilise in front of goals and this is where the benefit of having a rest comes to play - the hawks ran out of steam and the pies were able to take advantage of that and the hawks paid the ulimate price for it.

I don't think choking comes in to it tbh and it would probably be in the best interests of all the pies supporters that have been flooding these boards all week sprouting about how far in front the pies were going to be come the end of the first quarter to can it and appreciate that you actually made another GF. Two finals games from the pies and none of them convincing enough to write home to mum about so the arrogance really needs to be put away because it sure isn't justified.

I don't think umpires decided the game nor had an impact, in the end, some easy shots on goal resulted in behinds, could have easily been three 6 pointers each way that were missed.....however in saying that umpires shouldn't play quarter by quarter different interpretations, if you paid it in the first, pay it in the last, no matter what the situation

Go and learn the rules if you are new to afl.

Rules make perfect sense - just trying to understanding the finer points of umpiring decisions.

Had the benefit of a quite a few AFL friends here from different clubs watching tonites game - easy for them to explain three qtrs of game, all shaking their heads trying to explain that last qtr tho

Some shocking umpiring, no doubt, but I agree with those who would say that the Hawks will lament those missed easy set shots earlier on more than a bunch of dodgy umpiring decisions.

Boy, do the Pies get a good run, though.

Sidebottom got paid holding the ball against him, halfway through the last quarter, THE REPLAY SHOWS HE CLEARLY KICKS THE BALL STRAIGHT TO BEN JOHNSON WHO WOULD HAVE HAD A SNAP ON GOAL.

Fast Forward 5 minutes, Mitchell gets spun 360 in the middle of the ground, drops the ball, play on, then the Hodge swipe over the shoulder happens, after the Mitchell umpiring mistake.

Fast forward 2 minutes, Stratton clearly falls right on top of Dawes on the boundary, it's in the back, the umpire calls a ball in.

The umpires were bad, but in the end, had no real effect on the game, they favoured the Hawks early, and made some shockers late, but the right team won.

Hawthorn have no one to blame but their poor kicking and Chance Batemans embarrassing last quarter.

Sidebottom got paid holding the ball against him, halfway through the last quarter, THE REPLAY SHOWS HE CLEARLY KICKS THE BALL STRAIGHT TO BEN JOHNSON WHO WOULD HAVE HAD A SNAP ON GOAL.

Fast Forward 5 minutes, Mitchell gets spun 360 in the middle of the ground, drops the ball, play on, then the Hodge swipe over the shoulder happens, after the Mitchell umpiring mistake.

Fast forward 2 minutes, Stratton clearly falls right on top of Dawes on the boundary, it's in the back, the umpire calls a ball in.

The umpires were bad, but in the end, had no real effect on the game, they favoured the Hawks early, and made some shockers late, but the right team won.

Hawthorn have no one to blame but their poor kicking and Chance Batemans embarrassing last quarter.

this sort of comment is typical from the moronic element- making excuses for really poor umpiring is a blight on our game

all coll supporters that say this was inconsequential should hang their one eyed heads in shame

I don't think the umpires cost the hawks the game - I think poor kicking cost us the game. I think the hawks outplayed the pies for three quarters and if not for EASY missed shots in front of goal the game would of been all over at the end of the third but unfortunately the hawks didn't capitilise in front of goals and this is where the benefit of having a rest comes to play - the hawks ran out of steam and the pies were able to take advantage of that and the hawks paid the ulimate price for it.

I don't think choking comes in to it tbh and it would probably be in the best interests of all the pies supporters that have been flooding these boards all week sprouting about how far in front the pies were going to be come the end of the first quarter to can it and appreciate that you actually made another GF. Two finals games from the pies and none of them convincing enough to write home to mum about so the arrogance really needs to be put away because it sure isn't justified.

Fair post for the most part. I don't know if Collingwood supporters have been 'flooding the boards' bragging about how easy it would be, I'm sure there's been a few that've stuck in your craw though. :)

I was nervous about this one, that's for sure.

I don't think the umpiring decided the result, frankly it was ordinary all night and no worse in the last than in the other three quarters.

I do know that the Hawks were brilliant tonight and could well have won had they kicked straight.

I guess the biggest irony is that the almost senseless dribble that Sam Newman was spouting on the Footy Show about 'kicking more points than goals deciding the outcome' actually turned out to be true!

:eek:

Good one. There was no whistle. Maxwell only stopped because he saw Rioli get his head ripped off, although the umpire didn't pay that.
Maxwell has 4 set plays in his repertoire - he is either arguing wth the umpires, going in 3rd man up in the marking contest, indiscriminantly booting the ball the hell out of his area and letting his teammates worry about it up the field, or wildly gesiculating to his teammates to cover for him. Because he was using set play #1 on this particular occasion, he completely forgot that he was being tackled.

He is so lucky to have so many talented teammates in the defensive 50 to regularly cover his arse.

I just had a quick look through the first 15 pages and I cannot believe no-one mentioned the Pendles high free and the Maxwell down the ground free in the 1st half, BOTH of which resulted in Collingwood goals!!

Pendles clearly ducked into the tackle and even had a guilty look on his face like he thought "yeah I know and every saw me trying to milk that one", then everyone started to get ready for a throw in and about 3sec later the ump somehow decides it's a Collingwood free?? Then they get the ball fwd and score a goal.

As for Maxwell, not once but twice he elbowed his oponent in the guts HARD and the 2nd time his oponent was ready for it and the result was Maxwell ending up on his arse and somehow that was a free. Add to that Davis had the ball about 40m downfield and kicked it a good 2sec AFTER Maxwell fell over and that is somehow downfield?? Again resulted in a Collingwood goal!!!

So to the Collingwood supporters that said Hawthorn got the rub early, I call major BS!!!

Add to that the Gibson and Puopolo incidents and the umps clearly wanted Collingwood to win. Blatent favouritism :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have to say, Tarrant was very lucky not to be pinged for deliberate.

this sort of comment is typical from the moronic element- making excuses for really poor umpiring is a blight on our game

all coll supporters that say this was inconsequential should hang their one eyed heads in shame

Kind of you to include a warning at the start of your own post about what was to follow.

The problem is that there is no consistency whatsoever in umpiring. Missed calls, calling crap that isn't even there. Some blatently horrible calls that game for both sides.

Re: Josh Gibson in the goalsquare for the Ball & Davis goals

Great Story.

But seriously, I sat near 4 Hawks supporters and never heard them winge about any of these so called "disgraceful decisions".

We must have all been at a different game.

In fact, they all shook my hand and said "Good Luck next week, mate. You guys were too good in the end". Very humble of them. Even Hawthorn supporters around the ground afterwards. I didnt hear them blaming umpires. I did hear most bemoaning missed opportunities earlier in the game.

Must have been at a different game. The game I was at, the Hawks were fantastic for 3 quarters. But you gotta be fantastic for all 4 to beat the Pies. Bad Luck.

But I did ask myself at half time "Do I see a Premier here?" I didnt think I did, particularly if it is against the Cats. It is thiers to lose, should they go through.

Maxwell has 4 set plays in his repertoire - he is either arguing wth the umpires, going in 3rd man up in the marking contest, indiscriminantly booting the ball the hell out of his area and letting his teammates worry about it up the field, or wildly gesiculating to his teammates to cover for him. Because he was using set play #1 on this particular occasion, he completely forgot that he was being tackled.

He is so lucky to have so many talented teammates in the defensive 50 to regularly cover his arse.
Couldn't have stated it any better :thumbsu:

and the haters come out for a cry...How about all the Pies frees that were missed? You people are a disgrace

It's funny how all Pies fans can do is whinge when neutral supporters are all telling of multiple occasions in the last quarter where the umpires weren't being consistent.

What about Stratton in Dawes back in front of the AFL members with 5 to go in the last?

Yep, that Maxwell down field free should have been a free against Maxwell for shepperding > 5m away from the ball.

On top of all the other examples given.

Not blaming it at all on the outcome of the game i never blame umps, but as a standalone decision im itching to find out what the giesh thinks about the puopolo holding the ball decision.

Sometimes i think umpires are so keen to show that they are not putting the whistle away that they become whistle happy and pay 'bold' decisions.

In regards to the gibson incident rewatch it and you will see gibson gets brown high first off....

the puopolo decision has been paid nearly all year as much as it hurts in a tight close one

the to high on hodge should have been a non issue anyways as it should have been a pies free for incorrect disposal from burgoyne i believe

the one that baffles me the most is one that has hardly been mentioned and thats the chris tarrant delibrate out of bounds.. to me that should have been paid......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back