Re: Hawthorn vs Collingwood + umpires

You missed a few mate:

Maxwell HTB after play had stopped
Leigh Brown copping a hand in the face by Gibson in the goalsquare
50m to Dawes in the gaolsquare not paid
Dawes free in the back not paid on the wing
Several hnawthorn throws
others I can't be bothered explaining to you plebs

Play hadn't stopped, there was no whistle. Maxwell thought it was a free and paid the price.

Nothing compared to the sheparding on Gibson. If Hodge's high wasn't a free there's no way in hell that was.

Contentious, Cloke got an easy one anyways and a ridiculous one was paid in the dying minutes of the game.

Several Collingwood throws too, it happens, and I do remember Hawthorn being called on a couple.

I.e, you're clutching at straws and you can't think of anything real.

Just enjoy your win and bugger off.

It's funny how all Pies fans can do is whinge when neutral supporters are all telling of multiple occasions in the last quarter where the umpires weren't being consistent.

A big footy myth. Neutral supporters don't exist, especially when it comes to the Pies.

To all those whinging about the umps:
in the last Qtr hawks:
allowed COLL to kick as many goals as they had in 3 qtrs AND not one of the five goals came from a free kick
could not control swan or ball or control our
midfield
Could not stop Cloke
Continued to waste the ball going forward allowing our HB to intercept constantly
Tired badly

WTF do any of the above have to do with Umps - seriously get a grip

As Clarko said Hawks failed to maintain the required intensity for 4 qtrs

Enough said.

Hawks were no doubt an overall better team on the night. They squandered a few shots and then a few passages let collingwood get a few easy ones through.

It will be written in tomorrows paper how the Pies were too good and Mick Malthouse had all the answers. 99% of veiwers who understand footy and its rules will no doubt see how the Hawks were very unlucky with the Umpires. It wont be about the stats of frees but more about the timing.

The HTB may have cost hawks the game and the soft 50 after Hodge missed getting a free was a joke like some writer stated.

Im sure David Hale would have preffered to mark with 2 hands in the square. Chance bateman did drop the ball no doubt , but I'm sure its hard to hold it in when Daisy cannons into your head. Buddy gets an against for a soft push and in contrast Cloke can do whatever he wants.
Nick Maxwell got awarded a free for throwing himself into Hawthorn player and I assume the kicking in danger rule has been re-written to allow Dane Swan to acheive more possesions or maybe set a new record.

Bad Luck to the Hawks it was a great game and you were stiff to be taken out of the finals as you were the better team and should hold your head high.

Now Australia is in for another Grand Final parade where one teams supporters will Boo the opositions captian as he tries to make his speech.

Yeah. Lets forget hawks choked it. They destroyed Pies first 90% of the game, yet gave up last quarter.

The only dodgy call was Puopolo holding the ball shouldve been ball up, but how many lucky bounces did they get?
Hodge tried to sell a cheap high when Reid touched his upper arm, this game was full of bad calls, hawks got a few of them early but didnt capitalize. Bottomline hawks played well outplayed pies 90% of the game but choked it.

The pies haters will complain but its done, hawks go home.

Cats have this in the bag though.

And what about the bullshit 50 that gifted you a goal?

Get a clue.

Yes that was gigantic non decision!!

That would have been a free any day of the week.

I think it was Matthews who said "it seems you can do anything you like to shepherd the ball through... it's like there's no rules".

Absolute embarrassment for the league.

Just because Pies fans don't seem to get it, it's the CONSISTENCY of the calls that is what's the problem here. It has stuff all to do with the Pies really, it's to do with the crap umpiring. At least as far as I'm concerned. I don't like any Vic clubs bar Richmond and the Saints (due to significant other) and the point is that even if bad decisions went both ways, the ones that were paid against Hawthorn or ignored for Hawthorn were far more crucial than anything that happened to the Pies.

That's it, no hidden agenda, no Pie hating, I'm just a pissed off footy lover who saw a fantastic contest decided by some shocking umpiring.

I think it was Matthews who said "it seems you can do anything you like to shepherd the ball through... it's like there's no rules".

Absolute embarrassment for the league.

Umpiring board :thumbsu:

whaa whaa whaa.... seriously, the free kick count for the game was 28-26 Collingwood's way - why do we just focus on the contentious ones in the last quarter?

What about the disgraceful 'chopping the arms' decision against Davis given TO Puopolo in the first quarter? Ok, he missed the shot at goal from the free, but really, how about look at the whole game rather than just one quarter.

FWIW, I think the game was pretty poorly umpired all night, without favouring either team.

Agree that we got the rub of the green in the last, but to say that it's some conspiracy to get collingwood into a GF is abit of a stretch. And apparently we are undeserved Grand Finalist? Come on we got back into the game & gave ourselves every chance to win, & we did. Hawks were deffinetly the better team all night. But don't take credit away from the collingwood players that stood up when it counted.

whaa whaa whaa.... seriously, the free kick count for the game was 28-26 Collingwood's way - why do we just focus on the contentious ones in the last quarter?

Err... Because those were the ones that potentially decided the game?

Hawthorn were being overrun in the last quarter. In that situation you need all the 50/50's to go your way. They ALL went to Collingwood in the last quarter.

That's why I guess so many neutrals are so angry. They saw an under-dog getting the wrong end of the stick and that's frustrating and seems unfair.

But fact is Hawthorn had to win it by 3 quarter time and should have.

I don't think that Hodge not being able to duck his way into a free kick in front of goal is the end of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just waiting for KissStephanie to arrive, select 90+ posts and then proceed to break them down piece by piece as to why every poster in this thread is wrong. :cool:

If KissStephanie has any class she'll apologise and admit she totally underrated Hawthorn.

Re: Pies v Hawks holding the ball

If I recall correctly in the last quarter there was a hawks player who was tackled and threw the ball right in front of the umpires, and it wasn't paid. Now I'm not trying to whinge, just saying that bad decisions go both ways. You can't pick 1 decision out of the game and say that was the moment that cost us the game. I'm sure collingwood could do the same if they were beaten (and I'm sure some of our supporters would have), but the fact is bad decisions don't cost games, bad kicking does, and that has what happened tonight. Hawthorn played a great game but left the door slightly open for collingwood to come and win the game and they did. No ifs and buts about it, that is the fact and no amount of deliberation will change it.

This and only this....

Literally everyone knows that the Hawks should be in the Grand Final, and would be bar the abysmal umpiring at crucial points in the game.

These decisions (or lack thereof) specifically and directly adversely affected Hawthorn's score. They did not add up to cost the Hawks the game - each of them individually cost the Hawks a goal that would have put them in the Grand Final.

This isn't belly-aching or embellishment.

It is fact.

Err... Because those were the ones that potentially decided the game?

Hawthorn were being overrun in the last quarter. In that situation you need all the 50/50's to go your way. They ALL went to Collingwood in the last quarter.

That's why I guess so many neutrals are so angry. They saw an under-dog getting the wrong end of the stick and that's frustrating and seems unfair.

But fact is Hawthorn had to win it by 3 quarter time and should have.

Yeah, my point is that perhaps the Hawks might not have been so far ahead if you hadn't had some decisions go your way early on.... To look at a couple of decisions in isolation is just plain wrong - a game is played over four quarters.

Yeah, my point is that perhaps the Hawks might not have been so far ahead if you hadn't had some decisions go your way early on.... To look at a couple of decisions in isolation is just plain wrong - a game is played over four quarters.

correct

but for supporters looking for excuses for their team's capitulation from a winning position late in the game the umpires are an easy target

Sidebottom got paid holding the ball against him, halfway through the last quarter, THE REPLAY SHOWS HE CLEARLY KICKS THE BALL STRAIGHT TO BEN JOHNSON WHO WOULD HAVE HAD A SNAP ON GOAL.

Fast Forward 5 minutes, Mitchell gets spun 360 in the middle of the ground, drops the ball, play on, then the Hodge swipe over the shoulder happens, after the Mitchell umpiring mistake.

Fast forward 2 minutes, Stratton clearly falls right on top of Dawes on the boundary, it's in the back, the umpire calls a ball in.

The umpires were bad, but in the end, had no real effect on the game, they favoured the Hawks early, and made some shockers late, but the right team won.

Hawthorn have no one to blame but their poor kicking and Chance Batemans embarrassing last quarter.

Regarding your first point, I wouldn't be so sure about that. I'd have to see another replay, but it looked to me like it could have been the tackler's leg following through which connected with the ball. Anyway, that free kick is usually paid if very slight (but ineffective) contact is made with the ball, which is all Sidebottom did if he did in fact get a boot to the ball.

I wish Collingwood supporters would stop trying to bring up the umpiring which went against them and then say it was fair on balance. Sure, there was the odd one ... but nothing compared to what Hawthorn endured.

And the right team did not win. The team which played the best football for the majority of the game lost.

What about Burgoyne non HTB about half way through the last quarter?

Seriously, calm down, sober up and go to bed.

Yeah, I remember that one. Was when there was a free kick to Schoenmaker and as Burgoyne picks it up before even aware a free is paid the ump calls play on as he's under siege. Another f-up that benefited Collingwood. Didn't play on and no advantage.

This isn't about excuses: it's about the simple facts.

You can dig through that game and give opinion on what some calls might have lead to. But you cannot possibly say that Hawthorn did not bear the full brunt of several appalling decisions, each of which directly and unequivocally cost them a goal.

Had other totally obvious bad decisions gone the Hawks way and resulted in scores, maybe you'd have a point about it all evening out over the game (though I don't think players on either side should have to work harder to cover up bad umpiring).

Tonight it did not even out. Not even close.

Glad that the Hawks know how we feel after last week

Puopolo gets tackled in a front on head lock.holding the ball.WTF:eek::eek:

Hodge, head high.....WTF

Gibson held in goal square........WTF

50 mt penalties......WTF

GO CATS.....smash those feral scum

Tarrant kicking the ball directly out of bounds deliberately next to our point post.

The team which played the best football for the majority of the game lost.
I seem to recall that that is called choking.

The interesting thing is going to be how the media deals with this.

You don't have to believe that umpiring cost Hawthorn the game (and I don't) to know that a lot of people DO think that and it's a legitimate question mark about the game. Especially after last week when so much hoo-hah was made over Walker and Glass!

But will the Melbourne media want to do anything to suggest that Collingwood's victory might have been tainted in any way?

Think the West Australian fans will be watching with interest after the s**t they had to put up with last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back