Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

I urge you to have a listen to the SEN Sports Day Podcast when available - Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data speaking to Gerard & Corn about just how bad we defend transition.
It is historically poor!
Something needs to happen - and quick!

I urge you to have a listen to the SEN Sports Day Podcast when available - Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data speaking to Gerard & Corn about just how bad we defend transition.
It is historically poor!
Is there some sort of SSP or draft coming up soon where we can draft a couple of small forwards with speed ?
There is nothing going to happen quick. It is a personal team balance issue more than a teaching issue.
I will say that with Wright out of the side if they play Caddy or Jones the forward pressure will immediately be better.

It is historically poor!
The nature of the AFL trading and drafting mechanisms means there's not really such thing as a quick fix.

The clubs that appear to have managed to turn things around quickly already had most of the building blocks in place.

It is historically poor!
Great listen.
Ok, horrific listen.
Starts just before 11min in.

Is there some sort of SSP or draft coming up soon where we can draft a couple of small forwards with speed ?
There is nothing going to happen quick. It is a personal team balance issue more than a teaching issue.
I will say that with Wright out of the side if they play Caddy or Jones the forward pressure will immediately be better.
Not news to you ant555 … think I may have heard similar from you once or twice…
Do we just need to play a Davey (or 2)?
Hind forward with role focus on tackling?

Not news to you ant555 … think I may have heard similar from you once or twice…
Do we just need to play a Davey (or 2)?
Hind forward with role focus on tackling?
Hind forward short term . Davey when ready,

I personally love the edge because it says to the opposition, we are starting the game on our terms and for you to win, you need to wrestle back onto your terms.

Sydney did that on the weekend, but not all clubs will.

Defensive transition will come in time, but if the players are not competitive, we will never fix that transition.

But, every Essendon support friend that I have was smiling, which rarely happens after a loss. For once it does actually seem like the players give a s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

based on the season so far, what’s the likelihood of picking up three lunatic brothers in the msd?

song GIF

It is historically poor!
historically poor is right.

I often bemoan the fact that from the moment Clarko's Cluster was devised and full ground defence became a thing, we have never, ever been any good at it; in fact, we've always been incredibly poor. DNA is such a trite cliche but it seems apt to say that defence just isn't in our DNA and we're all sick to ******* death of it

historically poor is right.

I often bemoan the fact that from the moment Clarko's Cluster was devised and full ground defence became a thing, we have never, ever been any good at it; in fact, we've always been incredibly poor. DNA is such a trite cliche but it seems apt to say that defence just isn't in our DNA and we're all sick to ******* death of it
Spot on - it seems as the game and coaching has evolved, we have been stuck in the dark ages.

I like the 'Essendon Edge' thing but I don't like how Brad announced it before the match and focussed attention on it.

Why can't it just be an internal message?

Let the opposition teams and media cotton on to it over time through consistent Essendon Edge performances, rather than pointing it out in round 2.

Kinda like a show don't tell situation.

I like the 'Essendon Edge' thing but I don't like how Brad announced it before the match and focussed attention on it.

Let the opposition teams and media cotton on to it over time through consistent Essendon Edge performances, rather than pointing it out in round 2.

I suspect he's trying to use the expectations of the fanbase to compel player performance.

“Essendon edge” is just code for being physical and competitive isn’t it? We’ve coined a term for it but other clubs worked out a long time ago that you need a critical mass of players who have these traits in their DNA (you can’t really teach it) and it’s just a baseline non-negotiable for them. If they can’t see it, they don’t draft you.

It’s why I didn’t want Weid in the team under any circumstance last year (don’t care about structure), it’s why I’ll play Kelly over Tsatas every day of the week right now and it’s why I’ll back Laverde even though he is a limited player.

Tough, competitive footballers only please.

I reckon Caddy has it plus some special talents - can’t wait to see him.

“Essendon edge” is just code for being physical and competitive isn’t it? We’ve coined a term for it but other clubs worked out a long time ago that you need a critical mass of players who have these traits in their DNA (you can’t really teach it) and it’s just a baseline non-negotiable for them. If they can’t see it, they don’t draft you.

It’s why I didn’t want Weid in the team under any circumstance last year (don’t care about structure), it’s why I’ll play Kelly over Tsatas every day of the week right now and it’s why I’ll back Laverde even though he is a limited player.

Tough, competitive footballers only please.

I reckon Caddy has it plus some special talents - can’t wait to see him.
Yeah, another sound bite slogan.

AFL Lifestyle. Northball. Fight the Power. Stop the Boats. Unsociable Football. Pagans Paddock. Free Winona.

Thought Brad and the media team could have at least workshopped something more on Essendon brand.

The (Dean) Wallis Way.

Ronny (Andrews) Roughup.

Duckworth Merrett Method.

(Dean) Solly Stitchup.

(Mark) Harvey Hammer.

Last edited:

I see what you’re saying but I’m on the other side of that argument. I remember when I was at the height of my deepest depression I got a great piece of advice. I was told even though you aren’t happy on the inside that I should start smiling at others. It was a difficult thing to do to externalise something that did not exist on an internal level.

That first week was hell forcing something on the outside that wasn’t inside of me. That first week was horrible to force a smile at someone. To my amazement other people kept reciprocating my positive behaviour. Then all of a sudden it wasn’t an act anymore.

Our mob needs to persist with this ideal this Essendon Edge and I believe the external reactions solidifies why they should stay the course. I’m not suggesting players should play outside the rules but they should be playing on the edge and push the boundaries with the acknowledgment that there will be times they might go to far but that shouldn’t stop them for sticking to the course.

I see what you’re saying but I’m on the other side of that argument. I remember when I was at the height of my deepest depression I got a great piece of advice. I was told even though you aren’t happy on the inside that I should start smiling at others. It was a difficult thing to do to externalise something that did not exist on an internal level.

That first week was hell forcing something on the outside that wasn’t inside of me. That first week was horrible to force a smile at someone. To my amazement other people kept reciprocating my positive behaviour. Then all of a sudden it wasn’t an act anymore.

Our mob needs to persist with this ideal this Essendon Edge and I believe the external reactions solidifies why they should stay the course. I’m not suggesting players should play outside the rules but they should be playing on the edge and push the boundaries with the acknowledgment that there will be times they might go to far but that shouldn’t stop them for sticking to the course.
100% yes.
And good to have you here mate!

Should lose your coaching accreditation if you look at Jack Higgins and think ‘yeah sure, we’re happy for the biggest out the back cheater in the AFL to run around completely on his own’.

What an absolute wank

Remove this Banner Ad

Back