List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either way, Geelong not offering Menzel a contract at all is still completely ridiculous and is very different to Menzel considering a move home to SA.

Why can those two things not be one and the same?

Geelong are chasing Ablett, but need cap space to land him.

Menzel (hypothetically) wants to return to his family, and is chasing a new deal that would take up significantly more cap space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Menzel (hypothetically) wants to return to his family, and is chasing a new deal that would take up significantly more cap space.

I see what you mean. I just feel like there is quite a difference between:
- Not offering Menz a contract at all.
- Us offering a contract but him moving home to SA to be with family.

In one instance we want him, in the other we don't want him at all. And after we've held him on the list so long I reckon we definitely want him so a contract will be offered.

Because of his knee history menzel wont be on a huge $ deal here or anywhere else.

If you wanted to free up cap space you would let motlop go instead (who is actually on big $).

Menz will stay imo.

Menzel not being offered a multi year contract already is utterly ridiculous.

Not really one more knee and its retirement.

I can understand why we waited it will get done.

He hasn't done a knee in 3 years. At what point does he actually get to make a decent living from his skill. He should be on a 3 year 500 thousand contract.

I love menz but it's risk management. He still struggles to play every week and with endurance (see his lack of chasing). They neex to see his body hold up over an extended period before they offer multi years and any other club would do the same with a player with the same injury history

I get the emotion as we all are so fond of menz but when you look at it objectively it's quite understandable.

I am not sure any club would offer Menzel a long deal if they are being hard headed about it.

Adelaide don't really need him, and Port are ok for small forwards too.

I expect the best offer will come from Geelong.

Only Geelong truly knows the state of his body, so if Geelong are not offering a two year deal it will scare off other clubs.

I love menz but it's risk management. He still struggles to play every week and with endurance (see his lack of chasing). They neex to see his body hold up over an extended period before they offer multi years and any other club would do the same with a player with the same injury history

I get the emotion as we all are so fond of menz but when you look at it objectively it's quite understandable.
Well! Walking out on the club after we've stood shoulder-to-shoulder with him for so long if we offer him a reasonable contract would be the act of a douche bag and I don't think he is that.

I am not sure any club would offer Menzel a long deal if they are being hard headed about it.

Adelaide don't really need him, and Port are ok for small forwards too.

I expect the best offer will come from Geelong.

Only Geelong truly knows the state of his body, so if Geelong are not offering a two year deal it will scare off other clubs.

Port won't touch him if pittard goes because then it will affect their FA compo pick.

I agree i think the crows need to get an A grade mid not menzel.

I agree on your assessment too i believe we will offer him a fair deal and he will stay-people forget that by waiting to sign menzel can show he's worth a longer contract from us so it's in his interest to take time too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great start to the season and struggling now.

Football wise he would be much better off staying at Geelong.

He is an auto pick here. On form at the moment he would be playing SANFL with his brother at the Crows.
His input is down recently, but even during a bad run of form he bobs up with a couple of important goals a game. Has a better goal per games this ratio this season than any Crow besides Walker and Betts (equal 12th in the AFL, on track for 50 goals). He'll be stronger again once a couple of pressure forwards like Parfitt and McCarthy slot in around him IMO.

We don't want to lose our second best forward, but the club must be practical, and Menzel must be practical too.

A pay increase is likely, perhaps a 2 year contract with some sort of innovative clause that releases the contract if he's forced to an early injury retirement.

If you read the article (or heard his actual words) I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion he wants to leave...
Was just saying he enjoys going back, thinks he has the balance perfect now and loves being at the club.
He won't leave.
Will be offered a longer term, bigger money contract soonish and will sign it well before the end of the year.
The only way he leaves is for a godfather deal.

I would've thought Menzel is still a week to week proposition, so if he wants to go home then so be it. He is one knee injury away from retirement.

Great idea, who needs a medium forward scoring at the rate of 2.5 goals a game.
After all, even that blonk Johnson managed to do that one year.

Anyway, it's a complete non-issue.

I'm 100% confident he stays. Not quite sure why people insist on seeing a negative when he mentions talks are about to start and he is happy here. The talk of home was only brought up becasue he was asked a question

Well! Walking out on the club after we've stood shoulder-to-shoulder with him for so long if we offer him a reasonable contract would be the act of a douche bag and I don't think he is that.
Bit harsh I think. Menzel has to what's best for himself. If he only gets a 1 or 2 year contract, if he does a knee bang no more money from footy.
Also later in life he's going to be quite sore even just walking around.
Himself and his family are more important to him than the club who did stick with him. But they didn't do it for nothing. They don't rehab injured people just off the street or anything.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-02/sharpshooting-cat-wont-rule-out-a-return-to-sa

Sharpshooting Cat won't rule out a return to SA

OUT-OF-CONTRACT Geelong forward Daniel Menzel is not ruling out a return home to South Australia, despite saying he is happy at the Cats.

"It's one that I'd be lying if I said you don't ever think about it," Menzel said.

"It's a business and my family's all back there but at the same time the club (Geelong) has been so good to me.

"We haven't had contract talks at the moment and I'll leave that to my manager. He'll come tap me on the shoulder soon enough no doubt.

"I do love getting back home, I really do, and I enjoy catching up with mates and family back there, but I think I have a pretty good balance too. I'll see how it plays out. I think I'm happy with how things are at the moment."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::'(:'(:'(

No doubt Menzel will stay. The comments are with 5AA and its about playing with Troy... Of course of playing with Troy sounds appealing, it's his brother. But every time he says something about going home, its backed up about how great his life balance is, how great the club is. Complete non story. Jog on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back