List Mgmt. Menzel re-signs for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Incorrect. If he's gone through the correct process there's no issue. It's the idea that he should be earmarked for a role for other reasons I disagree with.
There’s no harm in the club supporting him post football career towards getting those accreditations if that’s what he wants to do once he retires.

It would certainly be a good incentive for him to continue his career at GFC knowing the club will further support his aspirations once he is finished .

I am very happy that he is staying. Having said that, I am also pleased the club stood firm in contract negotiations and in relation to bringing in players from other clubs. As Daz said, the market has spoken with regards to Menzel. Tough for him but good for the club. I'm liking them taking a hard line.

Now should we pick up his brother as a rookie? Surely he'll have fire in his belly after his de-listing...

We should pick up all the delisted players from other clubs. They are all superstars in waiting.

Yes.

He has brains. He is thorough (just watch his pre game routine that goes on for a very long time on the ground). He is determined (4 knees!).
He has been able to observe and analyse , live at games from the stands, more GFL methodology, than most accomplished players have by the end of their whole careers. As a result he has great potential as a coach and or mentor. IMO.

If I had any influence at all I would offer him a playing contract and a "junior" coaching position. One year playing, two year coaching. Incentives in the playing contract to get to a second year. Add to that a guaranteed lift in coaching pay- if he is unable to play on (and other clubs still don't want him), AND the coaching role proves beneficial i.e. he earns his stripes as a beginning coach or mentor and he wants the extension.

In other words transition him if his knees are degenerating.

He is the biggest "what he could have been but for, player" I can think of atm.
I love him as a player but I've heard through the grapevine that he isn't especially popular. A few friends met him at a footy club function and he's apparently a bit of a w***er, very arrogant. Love him as a player, not sure he'll make it as a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love him as a player but I've heard through the grapevine that he isn't especially popular. A few friends met him at a footy club function and he's apparently a bit of a ******, very arrogant. Love him as a player, not sure he'll make it as a coach.
who cares if he is popular. gary ablett was never popular. football isnt about making friends.

It's quite possible that all the injury woes he's endured have made Menz a 'harder' person than he otherwise would have been.

'Harder' in the respect that he has painstakingly (pun fully intended) worked to get himself back to play footy at the highest level, expending absolutely everything along the way to get there.

"Harder' also in the sense that he probably feels a little aggrieved every time he plays now, when he thinks of what limitations his body is imposing on his output. When you have as much natural ability as he clearly does, it must sting to not be absolutely tearing it up regularly. Particularly when you know in yourself that you are clearly a better footballer (though, due to injury, not a better athlete) than many of the blokes who are able to beat you to the drop of the ball in any given week.

Don't know any of this for sure, of course, but I could certainly imagine that a sense of embitterment about losing the opportunity to display all your abilities on the field due to debilitating injury is entirely possible. And extremely understandable as well, in my view.

In any case, I hope he spends the off-season focused on the positives. He's on the list for another season, his body held up for another year, and he undoubtedly now has a very good idea of his place in the pecking order and the areas of his game that the MC is keen to have him work on.

If he can bring an upbeat demeanour and attitude to footy next year, I have no doubt he could be a very handy player for the hoops once again.

And a story as heroic as his certainly deserves a high quality finish as well. So here's hoping both he and the Cats put it together next year and give him a shot at glory that supporters right across the code would undoubtedly have cause to celebrate.

Interesting player. So glad to see him come back and be able to play senior footy, but 18 months into that the game had changed so much that simply kicking goals isn't enough.

As so often happens the Premiership winning team produces a lot of 'clones' throughout the comp; it'll be interesting to see where the game is in another 10 months and see if it is conducive to someone like Menzel, or not.

I love him as a player but I've heard through the grapevine that he isn't especially popular. A few friends met him at a footy club function and he's apparently a bit of a ******, very arrogant. Love him as a player, not sure he'll make it as a coach.

You probably know more of him than I do. I can only work from my observations.

I don't think though that arrogance (or self belief) disqualifies a person from coaching . There is quite a long list of present and recent past coaches who have the " I am" gene" . I'll start with Clarkson then add Buckley and Hird. There are probably others but they are, or were, not as "public" - some might even label C. Scott arrogant.

In fact one or two above don't come across as very "nice" at all. Thats coaching I guess.

Last edited:
You probably know more of him than I do. I can only work of my observations.

I don't think though that arrogance (or self belief) disqualifies a person from coaching . There is quite a long list of present and recent past coaches who have the " I am" gene" . I'll start with Clarkson then add Buckley and Hird. There are probably others but they are, or were, not as "public" - some might even label C. Scott arrogant.

In fact one or two above don't come across as very "nice" at all. Thats coaching I guess.
Three of the four you named are questionable coaches and the other is a genius. But the word I got was that he was socially arrogant. Paid to speak at a club night, then he thought he was too good to chat with anybody afterwards, couldn't really chat casually. Not the feedback you get about someone like Stevie J, who is incredibly arrogant on field.

Menzel signed....Club vindicated....win/win for GFC....Personally, I'm glad he's on our list. Class player with great hands who kicks goals.

Another pre-season, a little fitter and harder....It will be interesting to see what he produces in 2018.

I'll back him in to give us plenty.

I'm not within clubland, haven't met Menz, grains of salt, etc.

But wasn't he the first person to see Narkle after his ACL? And provides a point of contact for guys like him going down that long path of rehab.

I think a guy like Menz has pretty set priorities and a laser focus. This probably means he isn't as laddish/casually friendly as a lot of players. But I also think that he cares about his teammates in his own way and is fundamentally a good guy. His whole MTMF brand was built to help local athletes who can't access professional sports science make rehab plans and get back playing. To just call him arrogant... I'm not sure. He clearly doesn't see himself as too important to provide whatever expertise and advice he can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back