Delisted Michael Hartley [delisted]

Remove this Banner Ad

Turns 29 in the middle of next year and now looking for his fourth club?

He was originally rookied by Collingwood as a NSW scholarship player in 2011, his old man used to drive hours and hours as a round trip every weekend so he could play. Was eventually delisted due to persistent injuries in 2013 without debuting at AFL level. Spent a couple of years in the VFL. Topped up for Essendon during the 2015 pre-season competition, then drafted by Essendon as a mature ager at the end of 2015 alongside Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti (they were really close for a while there).

Played 44 games over three years for us and had an offer for another year at Essendon in 2020, but Hawthorn offered a better contract so we delisted him and he was drafted by Hawthorn in the pre-season draft at the end of 2019. Will now be delisted again after playing five games in two seasons at Hawthorn, reportedly part of a clean-out with Sam Mitchell taking over as coach.

As a formerly delisted player he's a lifetime free agent following the rule changes a couple of years ago, and could move during the free agency period rather than the draft or later DFA periods if a club is keen on him.

Has some traits, might be good depth somewhere that needs a 200cm defender. From what I recall he used to max out the 1%ers, has the reach to punch the ball away regardless of opponent, strong enough to wrestle with the best of them and could torp it 55 metres (kicked a goal once or twice with that).

When he wasn't getting selected at Essendon in 2019 it was because we wanted him to play more offensively but he would choose to spoil rather than mark, half the time he'd punch it away and it'd get crumbed by the opponent, rarely actually used his torp which would have been a really good weapon if used effectively, and once we had the ball he didn't contribute a whole lot to the offense. Not sure if much changed during his time at Hawthorn either.

He's a guy I would put up as a possible pre-season selection for GWS to cover our two KPD LTIs, if he's not picked up beforehand. As stated, some limitations in his game particularly in trying to start an offensive push from D50, but we've probably got other options to assist there. Would be coming home to Western Sydney! I don't think we'd go early, as we'd want to leave list positions open for the national draft & rookie draft.

He's a guy I would put up as a possible pre-season selection for GWS to cover our two KPD LTIs, if he's not picked up beforehand. As stated, some limitations in his game particularly in trying to start an offensive push from D50, but we've probably got other options to assist there. Would be coming home to Western Sydney! I don't think we'd go early, as we'd want to leave list positions open for the national draft & rookie draft.
That isn't his problem, brilliant long kick. It is defending part that is the issue

Yep, he could join Jake Stein as good Penrith boys!

Can’t see Hartley getting another go to be honest.

Yep, he could join Jake Stein as good Penrith boys!

Can’t see Hartley getting another go to be honest.

Turned the Swans down everytime we were interested. I'm not sure NSW is such a drawcard. He's exactly the type we need but i don't think we'll be back in for him

Has slowed down a bit from what I’ve seen. He was playable when he had the athleticism to make up for his poor 1v1 work but now he struggles to keep up with the best forwards and whether it’s an inability or lack of confidence he just doesn’t back himself to read the ball in the flight enough.

Think he’s more chance of being a punter in the NFL next year then on an AFL list.

Hawks backline was dead-set ravaged by injury this year and he struggled to get a game. I cant imagine there would be another club for him unless it was for minimum pay and they had no draft picks and had to fill a slot.

So... Collingwood? But no other.
He'll never play for Collingwood.

Best chance is a KD at a contender goes down with a LTI in pre-season and Hartley gets a list spot from that to cover for 2022.

Keath, May, Jonas etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was dominant at VFL level and IMO was good depth (and I watch a lot of EFC VFL games). A bit of a confidence player. I was surprised he didn't get more games at Hawthorn early days. But I've hardly seen him in the last two years.

I wonder if he'd be interested in trying out as a punter in the USA? Has a fantastic long kick.
That isn't his problem, brilliant long kick. It is defending part that is the issue
I find this a bit odd. In 2016 and 2017 when he got games for us, his defending was pretty decent. Not top line, he gave away a few too many frees for holding, but otherwise pretty solid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back