Mid season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

This draft is a mechanism to help clubs rebuild quicker. It is well disguised by the AFL but anyone can see that rebuilding sides will be looking for ten year players.

I’m sure they’ll be one or two older guys drafted by clubs near the top for immediate depth but most of these guys will be drafted to get ahead of the National Draft, in some cases getting a 2nd or 3rd rounder for the price of a rookie. We won’t be as lucky and will get a rookie (or late selection at best) for the price of a rookie.

Ryan Bennell that's playing for Peel seems to fit the bill. He's already playing down there in our system, he is kicking his goals every game - even when Peel struggle to kick a decent score, he seems to have a bit of speed and x-factor with the way he can spin out of trouble, and he's only 19, in his first season at WAFL and he fills a need for the future. Lots of upside. He's small, but he's the same height as Ballantyne.

Last edited:
I think we should go for Michael Knoll .

Meek and Jones just dont seem to be up to it. I am assuming they will both be delisted. If we were to pick up Knoll we have the rest of the season to see if he is up to AFL level. He has a lot of upside as apparently he has only played the game for three years. That way if he turns out ok we then have a ready to go backup for Lobb and Darcy next year. Otherwise we may have to look at an 18 year old and go the lottery of the draft...

Also after watching the debacle at Claremont Oval , cant work out why we dont grab Bolton. Looked a class above our mid fielders

Ryan Bennell that's playing for Peel seems to fit the bill. He's already playing down there in our system, he is kicking his goals every game - even when Peel struggle to kick a decent score, he seems to have a bit of speed and x-factor with the way he can spin out of trouble, and he's only 19, in his first season at WAFL and he fills a need for the future. Lots of upside. He's small, but he's the same height as Ballantyne.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/midseason-rookie-draft-the-full-list-of-nominees

Might well be but isn’t on this list.

Everyone on the list of WA nominees are from WAFL clubs except for the two that play with the Mandurah Mustangs.

There was some talk a couple of season back that GWS were interested in Cody Ninyette. He's another handy goalkicker.

Yep ,why not .205 cm ruck forward .26 might be to old for a long term recruit but we are looking for someone for the next 3 months or so. Ready to go and if he doesn't work out nothing lost
I don't think we are in a situation where we need someone to salvage this season, we are more in preparation for next season. Unless he is someone we seriously think may be an option for 2020 I would rather play Jones and Meek.

I think we should go for Michael Knoll .

Meek and Jones just dont seem to be up to it. I am assuming they will both be delisted. If we were to pick up Knoll we have the rest of the season to see if he is up to AFL level. He has a lot of upside as apparently he has only played the game for three years. That way if he turns out ok we then have a ready to go backup for Lobb and Darcy next year. Otherwise we may have to look at an 18 year old and go the lottery of the draft...

Also after watching the debacle at Claremont Oval , cant work out why we dont grab Bolton. Looked a class above our mid fielders
Hope we have a crack at getting Michael knoll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Knoll will be gone by our pick anyway.

I’d rather see what’s available ruck wise at year’s end. We can then:

1. Decide who’s the best last resort option available? For injury cover only and I really don’t reckon it matters how old they are. As long as they aren’t injury prone and they’re better than Jones. If they aren’t better than Jones we may as well keep Jones. We can look at this position every year its required.
2. Draft an athletic 18/19 year old beanpole and develop them in the background. May as well try develop someone who’s actual AFL standard.

Andrews, Mountford and Pina have been linked to us by the media. I know he’s local but I hope we don’t go Pina. We’ve got too many small blokes already.

Last edited:
What is the attraction to Mountford? Seen a bit of him play in the VFL and now Claremont and seems very vanilla. Doesn’t stand out and doesn’t seem to offer anything more than what some of the players we have delisted. I’d much rather Deluca.

With regards to Knoll. I wasn’t really thinking about just now but for future years. My opinion only but I’d be delisting Jones and Meek, Also Sandi retires and then all we have is Darcy and Lobb for 2020. He’s a strong and mobile ruckman that was chosen in the SANFL state side suggesting he is one of the best ruckmen in that comp.

As suggested he will likely be gone by our pick anyway.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Knoll will be gone by our pick anyway.

I’d rather see what’s available ruck wise at year’s end. We can then:

1. Decide who’s the best last resort option available? For injury cover only and I really don’t reckon it matters how old they are. As long as they aren’t injury prone and they’re better than Jones. If they aren’t better than Jones we may as well keep Jones. We can look at this position every year its required.
2. Draft an athletic 18/19 year old beanpole and develop them in the background. May as well try develop someone who’s actual AFL standard.

Andrews, Mountford and Pina have been linked to us by the media. I know he’s local but I hope we don’t go Pina. We’ve got too many small blokes already.

I have been on here many times arguing for us to take less small players but that is because we take smalls that lack one quality or another. Pina on the other hand looks to have the holy trinity of skill+speed+decision making that means he can fill a lot AFL positions (Back pocket, HBF, Wing, HFF, forward pocket). I'd be happy if they gave him a go.

Taberner has been confirmed on the long term injury list, so mid season draft it is.

I hope we go after a younger potential keeper. I think we need another quick outside player that can offer something in the forward line.

Last edited:
OK so, some of the Media outlets are getting all excited about this. Now that we have a pick I'm a little more interested myself. My interest level has gone from 'Why?" to "How quaint". Some of the suggestions in this thread are really interesting.

Listening to Brad Scott yesterday, the current thinking is that clubs will use the MSD to "warehouse" young talent. Very few will pick a Mature Age Player.

I've only really been paying attention for a nano-second but it seems we've already been 'linked' (jeepers I hate that term) to a number of players.

AFL website - Declan Mountford and Jarvis Pina
SportFM - Luke Strnadica, and Corey Gault
Haggers (6PM) -Dillon O'Rielly and.... (I kind of faded out so I didn't hear who else he mentioned... it was Haggers after all. Pretty sure he also mentioned Pina though).

That's all I got for now.

On our current ladder standing we have pick 10 I think?

Keen to add some midfield depth via youth, but how has O'Reilly actually gone this year, anyone seen him play WAFL?

Last edited:
OK so, some of the Media outlets are getting all excited about this. Now that we have a pick I'm a little more interested myself. My interest level has gone from 'Why?" to "How quaint". Some of the suggestions in this thread are really interesting.

Listening to Brad Scott yesterday, the current thinking is that clubs will use the MSD to "warehouse" young talent. Very few will pick a Mature Age Player.

I've only really been paying attention for a nano-second but it seems we've already been 'linked' (jeepers I hate that term) to a number of players.

AFL website - Declan Mountford and Jarvis Pina
SportFM - Luke Strnadica, and Corey Gault
Haggers (6PM) -Dillon O'Rielly and.... (I kind of faded out so I didn't hear who else he mentioned... it was Haggers after all. Pretty sure he also mentioned Pina though).

That's all I got for now.
From what I have read Pina is the only one in that lot who has the performances to be considered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back