Player Watch Mid-Season Pick #13 (2021) - Jed McEntee

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not doing that tagging s**t against good sides. Of course if you tag a player, you're going to reduce his possessions. But a defensive forward to me is to actually win frees tackling a guy and kicking goals. What to impress me? Hold Stewart below 15 possessions and kick a goal on him.

McEntee, a chronically underrated player across the competition, will have by no means caught the attention of observers when scrolling through his weekly stat line.

To the eagle eye though, his work off the ball both regularly nullifies the impact of his direct opponent, as well as allowing the likes of their tall forwards and Willie Rioli to focus more on their offensive output.

aka only simpletons would only focus on the stats line

McEntee, a chronically underrated player across the competition, will have by no means caught the attention of observers when scrolling through his weekly stat line.

To the eagle eye though, his work off the ball both regularly nullifies the impact of his direct opponent, as well as allowing the likes of their tall forwards and Willie Rioli to focus more on their offensive output.

The behind the goals vision on First Crack was fantastic too. Literally creating goals for his teammates by doing things that won't get him any type of stat. Totally selfless and disciplined play by Jed and I'm sure he gets the plaudits internally.

There will be an influx of these forward types with shrinking talent pools, all you need is someone that will annoy, block, negate & frustrate without the distraction of actually having to get the ball.

In other eras McEntee would've just had his teeth kicked down his throat & never been heard of again which obviously doesn't happen any more.

There will be an influx of these forward types with shrinking talent pools, all you need is someone that will annoy, block, negate & frustrate without the distraction of actually having to get the ball.

In other eras McEntee would've just had his teeth kicked down his throat & never been heard of again which obviously doesn't happen any more.
Which players of the type you are talking of got belted out of the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting reading from the two sides, Jedheads vs Jedhaters.

My take is that Jed has been awful the previous few games. Really there has been no defending him IMO. However he had a great game on Friday though, and played his role perfectly. If he is used effectively like that each week, he deserves his place in the side.

So it will be interesting to see which Jed runs out next week ... The one who runs around aimlessly, doing basically nothing all game, or Friday night's Jed, who is given a targeted pest role, and executes it well.

I don't feel vindicated by Garry Lyon, Leigh Montagna, David King and Nathan Buckley saying Jed had a good game. What I really need is some randoms on BigFooty to acknowledge it.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Jed McEntee. The football craft is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the tactics will go over a typical bigfooty posters' head

Aidyn Johnson wannabe

Watch for the umps to clamp down on his tactics this week now and him to give away 5 frees for interference in the marking contest.

I have no doubt that is what Scott was really talking to the umps about as it has a big impact on their game plan.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Watch for the umps to clamp down on his tactics this week now and him to give away 5 frees for interference in the marking contest.

I have no doubt that is what Scott was really talking to the umps about as it has a big impact on their game plan.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The tactic seemed to work, although it was cringe to watch & looked forced & over the top. It’s like he or Hinkley is trying to make him fit in somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I won't bust Cheese's bollocks seeing he is coming off his best game for the club. But he still didn't pass my KPI's for the Jedmeister. 5 tackles 1 goal per game. Don't care if he doesn't get possesions (other than the goal) in fact it's probably better he gets less touches. But if he tackles and scores he should play.

Just finished re-watching the game. McEntee did have a good game, easily his best for the season.

However, He needs to do this consistently and develop an ability to be offensively damaging at the same time. Drew did this and it took his game to another level.

Chad Cornes on Jed McEntee’s shutdown role on Tom Stewart:

“He's another one that cops it a little bit from outside, not that I read it anymore but it filters back. He is just the ultimate, you love coaching him and the players love playing with him. Supporters will often look at output and stats and that obviously comes into it as well but he had the role on Stewart twice last year and was outstanding in both games. He's done roles like that last year and to see him back to his best on a really, really good player, Stewart is one of the best, so Jed did it really well, and he had some good help from his teammates.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back