Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
From afl.com.au

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-07/loan-arranger-eplstyle-system-on-the-cards

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan told reporters on Wednesday that if he could change one thing about the competition it would be to free up player movement so struggling clubs could rebuild more quickly than today's standard five- or six-year period.

McLachlan reiterated his desire for the introduction of a mid-season trade or draft period – or both – to allow clubs to bolster their lists outside of the existing October trade period and November's national, pre-season and rookie drafts.

How do loans work with a salary cap draft comp? The epl has neither. If anything we should be looking at a more nfl style. Longer trade period and just a constant ability to sign any free agents. Would put a bigger strain on cap management but allow the flexibility to bring in cover for injured players and cut those proving to be dead weight. Think it’d open up a pathway for those undrafted or vfl level players to get into the Afl too

This would be a big disadvantage for all state level clubs who will see their best players ripped from them mid season.

No thanks. They should just let teams go further into the future with the trading of draft picks.
I would have loaned any/all of our players free of charge the Adelaide for GF day

Gil is right, would benefit the bottom clubs
Would it? I have no knowledge of how it works in other leagues but would have thought it'd just be a case of players from lower teams requesting a trade to a team with a shot at the flag.

Not sure I agree with increased bargaining power either - if a club is doing so well that they are a premiership contender, why pay overs for a player that they may not need.

Can see the whole tanking debate coming into play with lower clubs offloading players in order to get a low pick - especially true if the model is just a short term loan.

Don't mind the idea of a loan system, think it certainly has some merit and is well worth exploring.

Will be interesting to see how the clubs react - overall they are probably supportive of the idea but I would imagine there'd be some concern surrounding the potential leakage of IP and game plans mid-year.

Adding another draft I am not so sure about, clubs in lower leagues won't be thrilled if their star player(s) are taken away in the middle of a season.

I wonder how clubs could look to exploit the system too - there might be opportunities particularly with regards to taking on injured players in exchange for better draft picks, for example.

Gil is right, would benefit the bottom clubs

If it is set up correctly it could benefit everyone.

Bottom clubs / clubs in need of cover in a particular position obviously see immediate benefit, whilst senior exposure could do wonders for players who probably wouldn't have been afforded that opportunity at their parent club.

I often wonder about the negative impact on development of certain prospects who don't get regular game time - this might go some way to combating that.

So we're in the bottom 4 with nothing to play for. So we decide to play it smart. We trade for 6 months Cripps to Richmond for their first rounder, Marc to Adelaide for a second, and Liam Jones to GWS for their first. Then we finish botttom and go into the draft with a super strong hand, and all our players back ready for next year.

Great for us. But how is that good for the comp? Its a terrible idea

Would it? I have no knowledge of how it works in other leagues but would have thought it'd just be a case of players from lower teams requesting a trade to a team with a shot at the flag.

Not sure I agree with increased bargaining power either - if a club is doing so well that they are a premiership contender, why pay overs for a player that they may not need.

Can see the whole tanking debate coming into play with lower clubs offloading players in order to get a low pick - especially true if the model is just a short term loan.

In the AFL loaning would just encourage tanking IMO, as teams can get rid of their best players, lose games to get a better pick and then have the players come back at the end of the season. Every year we would get a 2015 style Essendon team getting pick one and then getting everyone back the next year. If they are going to be gone permanently, then that wouldn’t be a problem as that’s just a timing difference to what we already have in place and the players can’t come back. This isn’t a problem in the EPL because of the relegation aspect.

The NBA have a similar problem to what the AFL will have with expiring contracts effectively being “rentals” even though they don’t have an official loan system. Every year we see a the tanking teams offloading their expiring contracts to put them in a position for a better draft pick, because they don’t have to worry about relegation like the EPL.

Isn't the benefit of 'loan' players in soccer the fact that players are basically 'owned' by the clubs?

You've got a good young player languishing in the 2nds. You loan him out, he makes his name at loan club.

If/when he wants out, you get a juicier transfer fee than if he'd been wasting away in the minor leagues.

I assume there's also a saving of salary benefit, but I always it was more of a 'maximising' value benefit. And keeping surplus players active and developing.

Isn't the benefit of 'loan' players in soccer the fact that players are basically 'owned' by the clubs?

You've got a good young player languishing in the 2nds. You loan him out, he makes his name at loan club.

If/when he wants out, you get a juicier transfer fee than if he'd been wasting away in the minor leagues.

I assume there's also a saving of salary benefit, but I always it was more of a 'maximising' value benefit. And keeping surplus players active and developing.
The loan idea is stupid what’s to stop a club down the bottom of the ladder who has no chance of playing finals from loaning all there stars to other clubs?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Consider this then

Swans lose Grundy for the rest of the year, on the eve of the mid season trade period and are 5th on the ladder, only percentage off top spot. Jones retains his form from last year, while our young talls continue to improve, including Macreadie.

How desparate would they be to get a hold of Jones?

So we're in the bottom 4 with nothing to play for. So we decide to play it smart. We trade for 6 months Cripps to Richmond for their first rounder, Marc to Adelaide for a second, and Liam Jones to GWS for their first. Then we finish botttom and go into the draft with a super strong hand, and all our players back ready for next year.

Great for us. But how is that good for the comp? Its a terrible idea

There would be limits to the amount of trades

I think the thing about loans in Soccer is that you don’t loan to your competitors. There is a large number of leagues of varying quality with an even larger number of players. That and no salary cap

If loans are cross comp. Like you loan out a developing player to the SANFL, that has merits.

But loaning high quality players to finals sides? That's going to make it a game of who has the most cash come finals

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

fb4.gif

The global player market for soccer players is what makes that work, as only a handful of EPL players go on loan to other EPL clubs each season.

It will only work IF players are not given a choice where they go just like in the NBA or even the EPL, so it won’t happen as the AFLPA want to hold the power and not give it to the clubs...

It will only work IF players are not given a choice where they go just like in the NBA or even the EPL, so it won’t happen as the AFLPA want to hold the power and not give it to the clubs...
They have a choice in the EPL...

The only way it works is as an emergency loan, and frankly the decision needs to be made independent of the AFL because of the way they are describing their plans. The AFLPA would be perfect, actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back