MLB Season 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

2000px-Playing_card_heart_7.svg_zps0jfm1wjl.png

That eighth inning really did cover the full gamut of emotion.

Amazing effort to tie the game against Chapman, who struck out Seager and Puig with your standard 101/103km fastball. Gonzo delivered as he has so many times before, and gave us reason to believe.

Obviously Roberts will get killed for his management in the bottom of the 8th, and some will be justified. Walking Heyward at any time is strange, although Blanton really isn't as effective against lefties - his slider is death on righties but can be really hittable for lefties, as you saw with Montero. IBBs are questionable at the best of times, to execute two in that situation is always fraught with danger.

That's a hell of a lost opportunity for the Dodgers though. If they'd stolen that, and with Kershaw going tomorrow, they might've taken an unlikely 2-game lead back to LA... now the best they can hope for is a split, and tomorrow really becomes must win for us.

Miggy you are da man.

That bomb was an absolute joy to watch. I wish I was in Wrigleyville right now. The place would be off the charts.

That eighth inning really did cover the full gamut of emotion.

Amazing effort to tie the game against Chapman, who struck out Seager and Puig with your standard 101/103km fastball. Gonzo delivered as he has so many times before, and gave us reason to believe.

Obviously Roberts will get killed for his management in the bottom of the 8th, and some will be justified. Walking Heyward at any time is strange, although Blanton really isn't as effective against lefties - his slider is death on righties but can be really hittable for lefties, as you saw with Montero. IBBs are questionable at the best of times, to execute two in that situation is always fraught with danger.

That's a hell of a lost opportunity for the Dodgers though. If they'd stolen that, and with Kershaw going tomorrow, they might've taken an unlikely 2-game lead back to LA... now the best they can hope for is a split, and tomorrow really becomes must win for us.

It was like he was managing to get Chapman out of the game aswell as try and shutdown the inning.

The thing that flummoxes or disappoints me most is that getting Chapman out of the game seemed a bigger priority to Roberts than getting out of the inning unscathed. That's just bad process. Worry about getting through the inning without conceding before concerning yourself with scoring more runs.

Happy to come away with the win in Game 1. Although I thought Lester should've gone one more but at the very least taken him out for Montgomery rather than Wood. Also, thought Contreras should've pinch hit instead of Montero but it worked out great in the end. We've all seen Montero be clutch when he's hit late in the year, so I am thrilled he did it in such a big spot with bases loaded and 2 out.

Tomorrow will be difficult against Kershaw, so hopefully we can get at him early to give Kyle some help. I saw the Dodgers batting average, obp and slugging numbers this year against the Changeup as a whole and it's not pretty and Kyle sports one of the best changeups in Baseball. Hopefully he takes advantage of it tomorrow. As much as Game 2 is a must win for the Dodgers, I am looking at it in the same way for the Cubs. A 2-0 series lead headed to Dodgers Stadium for 3 in a row is imperative.

Amazing effort to tie the game against Chapman, who struck out Seager and Puig with your standard 101/103km fastball.

You mean 101/103 MP/H. That number in KM/H would probably have Aroldis Chapman throwing one of the slowest fastballs in Baseball history. :p

The thing that flummoxes or disappoints me most is that getting Chapman out of the game seemed a bigger priority to Roberts than getting out of the inning unscathed. That's just bad process. Worry about getting through the inning without conceding before concerning yourself with scoring more runs.

Spot on, the Heyward walk was not necessary, should have had the confidence that Blanton could handle him. Same with Coghlan. Twice in a row now Chapman has given up hits coming on a bit earlier.

Roberts shouldn't cop any blame for the decision that resulted in Chapman being replaced. Was brilliant stuff, unfortunately Blanton turned into Angels Blanton.
He would do it all over again and if I was a Dodgers fan I would to.
I ******* hate them and I laughed and clapped it cause it was ballsy and it was the right call

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I think we can retire some of the ridiculous "Kershaw can't pitch in the postseason" narratives now...

Didn't see the game today, but there were definitely some interesting things to come out of it:

• The Dodgers are now 4-0 in playoff games in which Kershaw pitched, 0-3 in the others
  • Interesting that Kershaw said after the game that he didn't have his curveball today, and I noticed that Baez's hit came from a hanging curve. Pretty incredible that he can still shut a 103-win team out over seven innings even without his best stuff
  • The clip of Baez's hit dying on the warning track in the seventh - it looked gone off the bat - and the subsequent reactions is amazing. According to Statcast balls hit like that one have resulted in an .899 batting average this year, with two-thirds being homers. Fair to say Kershaw got lucky.
  • What a hard luck loss for Hendricks. I haven't seen much of him this year but to make one mistake and lose is pretty unlucky.
The most interesting subplot to come out of the game is that both teams continue to struggle against lefties. I think it's been a bit overlooked that the Dodgers actually had a fair few hard-hit balls against Lester, but they just found fielders. That's just bad luck and on another night we might've won. In the next two games though, the Dodgers have Hill and probably Urias starting (with Alex Wood as the long man or fireman if things go bad), while the Cubs have righties in Arrieta (who threw a no-no at Dodger Stadium last year, admitedly) and Lackey. Could that swing the series the Dodgers' way? I'm not certain but it certainly shouldn't hurt.

Cubs fans, what's wrong with Rizzo? Is he hurt or just in a hell of a slump?

It really should be a fantastic series now.

Rizzo has timed a slump pretty poorly but it is what, 6 games? Like having a s**t week, which everyone does during such a long season, just the wrong time of year to do so. Sample size is always a cavaet in baseball.

Hopefuly Arietta has his best stuff next start.

I don't think Seager and Turner's defensive abilities got enough credit the other night. Seager moves so well for a big guy.

Anyone noticed that guy in a Marlins tshirt sitting behind home plate at every single post season game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back