Mofra's Bottom 50 for 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Player #26 - James Frawley
1634696557981.png
Pictured: Frawley was honered to be the one who gets to hold the dwarf at St Kilda's recreation of the infamous Fyre Festival

James Frawley is yet another player who retired but was coaxed to St Kilda because their list manager obviously missed Play School as a kid and now is a terrible judge of windows.

After being poached from an under-performing Melbourne side at the end of 2014, Frawley would become both a Box Hill and a Hawthorn Premiership player in 2015. He kept Josh Kennedy goalless in the 2015 Grand Final, no mean feat. James would enjoy a solid 100 game career with Hawthorn before retiring at the end of 2020.

After playing 239 games and being a respected figure at two clubs, Chips decided that getting paid for a year to play AFL without the pressure of having to perform was an attractive proposition and signed with the Saints for a year. The proposition to play one more year came after a few beers in Noosa, which is a different type of proposition that normally occurs after a few beers in Noosa.

I assume Frawley was a St Kilda fan as a kid because his uncle, the legendary Danny "Spud" Frawley, is a revered figure at the club. It led to his nickname "Chips" which is of course derivative of Danny's "Spud" nickname. I fear that David "Spitta" Swallow will have a son who plays AFL and is immediately nicknamed "Gargles" but that is a problem for another day.

Chips played two games this year: his first game was a Round 9 in a loss against Geelong which he said "made him feel young again" as he lined up against likes of Selwood, Isaac Smith and Methuselah.

He then played round 10 which made him feel old again as the Bulldogs tore St Kilda apart by 111 points (the umpires were in overdrive that day, apparently). He would then spend the rest of his year at VFL level teaching the kids important like lessons such as "ice baths reduce muscle soreness" and "never let mum brush your hair when she's angry".

Fun Fact: Frawley is the co-owner of a restaurant in Richmond. Ironically it's an Asian street food restaurant that doesn't serve Chips. Since December 2015, chopsticks are considered a 'dangerous weapon' in Richmond.

Chips, enjoy retirement mk 2. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2021

View attachment 1264287
Pictured: Frawley was honered to be the one who gets to hold the dwarf at St Kilda's recreation of the infamous Fyre Festival

James Frawley is yet another player who retired but was coaxed to St Kilda because their list manager obviously missed Play School as a kid and now is a terrible judge of windows.

After being poached from an under-performing Melbourne side at the end of 2014, Frawley would become both a Box Hill and a Hawthorn Premiership player in 2015. He kept Josh Kennedy goalless in the 2015 Grand Final, no mean feat. James would enjoy a solid 100 game career with Hawthorn before retiring at the end of 2020.

After playing 239 games and being a respected figure at two clubs, Chips decided that getting paid for a year to play AFL without the pressure of having to perform was an attractive proposition and signed with the Saints for a year. The proposition to play one more year came after a few beers in Noosa, which is a different type of proposition that normally occurs after a few beers in Noosa.

I assume Frawley was a St Kilda fan as a kid because his uncle, the legendary Danny "Spud" Frawley, is a revered figure at the club. It led to his nickname "Chips" which is of course derivative of Danny's "Spud" nickname. I fear that David "Spitta" Swallow will have a son who plays AFL and is immediately nicknamed "Gargles" but that is a problem for another day.

Chips played two games this year: his first game was a Round 9 in a loss against Geelong which he said "made him feel young again" as he lined up against likes of Selwood, Isaac Smith and Methuselah.

He then played round 10 which made him feel old again as the Bulldogs tore St Kilda apart by 111 points (the umpires were in overdrive that day, apparently). He would then spend the rest of his year at VFL level teaching the kids important like lessons such as "ice baths reduce muscle soreness" and "never let mum brush your hair when she's angry".

Fun Fact: Frawley is the co-owner of a restaurant in Richmond. Ironically it's an Asian street food restaurant that doesn't serve Chips. Since December 2015, chopsticks are considered a 'dangerous weapon' in Richmond.

Chips, enjoy retirement mk 2. Welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2021

Not sure if he spent the rest of the year at VFL level. He only played 3 VFL games for the year.

I met James one Easter long ago when my daughter was in the Royal Children's. I told him to come and play for his Uncle's old team.
James.....I MEANT WHILE YOU COULD STILL PLAY FOOTBALL.
I also met Jack Lonie ( just named for his first game ) who may also be retiring this year.

Anyone else get miffed whenever they didn't pick the window you chose ??
And did you always pick the same one ?

Arch ftw

Arch window. Also rocket clock.

Which presenter was your second favourite behind Noni? Mine was Angela. We'd all kill and die for all of them though.

As a parent watching with my kids: John Hamblin.

Wicked, wicked sense of humour.

Arch window. Also rocket clock.

Which presenter was your second favourite behind Noni? Mine was Angela. We'd all kill and die for all of them though.

Benita, Noni and the 2 Johns was my era.

Loved 'em all

EDIT - * , Donny Spencer was my jam too

Hutchie should buy the rights for the bottom 50 and make two weeks programming around it .

Way more interesting than the continental tyres trade period.

Two weeks' programming?

Is Hutchy putting Mofra on 10x fast forward?!?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two weeks' programming?

Is Hutchy putting Mofra on 10x fast forward?!?
It would actually be perfect for Hutchy. A 5 minute program once a day for 2 months with the rest just ads

Player #29 - Adam Saad
View attachment 1260870
Pictured: Adam(left) with some form of loliginidae, a creature with more backbone than Adelaide's pre-season camp review committee

Adam Saad was a former Coburg VFL player who selected in the rookie draft by the Gold Coast Suns.
He then chose to move from a team based on the Gold Coast to a team based in Tullamarine, which is kind of like cancelling a holiday in the Maldives to go to Kabul.

After his time at Essendon (who were so Covid safe they were vaccinating players dozens of times, many years before coronavirus was even a thing), he decided at the end of last year he preferred the smell of what Carlton were cooking.
Carlton, having recently overpaid for 3 flankers, decided this was a winning strategy and decided to overpay for a 4th flanker.

Saad, a regular top 3 finisher in the Essendon B&F, decided to take up Carlton's offer. I assume the mindset behind the move was that he'd rather not play finals at all if he was only ever going to play in losing ones.
Sidenote: Essendon ended up taking a guy (Hind) who provides a similar output to Saad despite costing far far less, making him basically the generic medicine of AFL players. This contrasts the Brett Kirk who I can only assume was the alternate medicine of AFL players.

This year Carlton failed to make finals, had some sort of sham coaching review, sacked their coach (again), and then appointed a guy whose last stint as a senior AFL coach was akin to listening to Frank Zappa and vaping DMT while trying to read Hunter S Thompson's horoscope through a kaleidoscope. He's also a ranga.

Back to Saad. His stats read similar to last year's output, except last year we had shorter games and... wait, Carlton gave up pick 8 for him? And are paying a half back flanker $650,000 per year? It's like Crazy Vossy arrived at Carlton a year early.
When Voss' arrival at an organisation means you are making fewer nutty trades it's less a job for a formal review than it is for a national convention of pyromaniacs. At night. By candlelight.

Anyway I'm sure Saad will flourish next year as Carlton are in the final few years of their 5 year plan that only started 16 years ago.

Adam, the Saadster, Ads. Good luck next year and welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2021.

You are a LEGEND.

Would you be able to do a special post dedicated to CFC's hiring of Crazy Vossy?

That would give us all what to laugh (hysterically) about

Ah, LOB, I just know him as the guy Carlton selected with one of the picks we gave them as part of the Gibbs disaster. If you're going to stupidly give away 2 first-round picks for a 29 year old, at least give them to a club who doesn't know what the fu** to do with them, which thankfully we did.
Did you guys give up #3 and #10 for Gibbs?
If so that would be amazingly stupid

Player #25 - Jack Martin
1634773826949.png
Pictured: Jack Martin's wikipedia photo. Styling is courtesy of Alex Rance

Jack Martin is one of the few AFL players in history to have been paid a million dollars in a single season by an AFL club. He is a flanker who was first drafted by an expansion club, so of course he was poached by Carlton. When I say drafted, he was part of the 2012 'Mini draft' which was a concession handed to the Gold Coast Suns and not the mechanism whereby Caleb Daniel found himself onto an AFL list. This makes Martin effectively the no 1 draft pick that year, antoher reason he ended up at the Blues.

Considered one of the most naturally gifted players in the competition, Martin puts the 'M' in 'Meh'. He does show the occasional flash of brilliance, but that's generally at training at Visy Park. His season started with a 3 goal performance (in a loss) against the second worst AFL team this year, Collingwood. Collingwood are Carlton's traditional rivals, although in recent years that has been been replaced by the AFL audit committee.
Martin would then reappear in Round 11 and play 10 more games for the year, kicking 4 goals and averaging around 12 disposals.

A member of the overpaid flankers club, Martin just doesn't seem to get out of second gear. He does look classy on the field the few times he gets it but really, a player of his talent should be involved in the game more than he is. There are guys with 1/10th of his ability forging respectable AFL careers as both AFL footballers and fake online airline pilots.
Why he just doesn't show more passion for a quasi-criminal organisation with a recent history of chronic underperformance who walked him through the PSD and cycles through coaches faster than Robbo downs his first pint of the day in summer (7.28am, like clockwork) I'll never know. The fact that he's 26 but still wirier than the back of a Boomer's TV entertainment unit might have a little to do with it. Plenty of skinny players have had successful careers though. Bones McGhie was a cult hero in the 70s and 80s, Lachie Whitfield plays very good football and Bob Murphy won a Jock McHale medal despite neither playing nor coaching.
Anyway I'm sure he'll come good next year after a full pre-season and a new coach.

Fun fact: Jack was born in Broome, which is both a town in Western Australia and subaru's favoured mode of transport.

Jack, good luck next year and welcome to the Bottom 50 for 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back