MS Mega Lottery and such - chance of winning claims.

Remove this Banner Ad

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I'll start by saying that I've already purchased tickets in the MS raffle here in WA and have previously purchased tickets in similar raffles in Victoria.

The one in Victoria had 80,000 tickets and 4,000 prize draws from memory. Their big claim was that you had a 1 in 20 chance of winning a prize. (may have been 2,000 prizes and 1 in 40 chance) If you happened to win a prize, your number went back into the draw, hence people winning multiple prizes.

If there are 80,000 tickets and even if you win something and your number goes back in, surely you only have a 1 in 80,000 chance for each and every seperate prize draw.

I've just purchased tickets for the MS one over here. There are 62,000 for sale and 2,481 prize draws. Apart from the difference in total number of tickets, the other difference is that unless you win an early bird prize, once you are drawn out and win something, your number does not go back into the draw for the remaining prize draws.

From their website FAQs.
How do you know there is a 1 in 25 chance to win a prize?

The MS Society has received independent confirmation from Data Analysis Australia that with 62,000 tickets and 2,481 prizes in total, there is a 1 in 25 chance of winning a prize - assuming all tickets are sold. If the MS Mega Home Lottery does not sell all 62,000 tickets then your odds of winning a prize improve.
Note: Each ticket purchased prior to the Early Bird ticket sales close is eligible for the Early Bird Prize Draw and to win one of the other 2,480 prize draws. Tickets purchased after Early Bird ticket sales close are eligible to win one of the other 2,480 prizes on offer.

Do the above claims pan out? I'm sure there is a statistically minded person on here that can confirm or otherwise.

To me if there are 62,000 tickets you are a 62,000 to 1 chance of having your number come up each time (slightly less as they proceed through the draws) by the end I would have thought that you are no better than a 59,519 to 1 chance of winning.

What am I missing? I was going to start this thread a few years ago after seeing the claims made by the hospital one that runs in Victoria but thought that I might get attacked for questioning a charitible raffle.

1 chance in 62000 per draw. there are 2481 draws. in theory you have 2481 chances to be that 1 in 62000. therefore by the maths, overall after all the prize draws you have an approximatly 1 in 20 chance of winning

1 chance in 62000 per draw. there are 2481 draws. in theory you have 2481 chances to be that 1 in 62000. therefore by the maths, overall after all the prize draws you have an approximatly 1 in 20 chance of winning

lol, so a person with a ticket gets 2,481 goes at still only being a 62,000 to 1 winner o_O fair enough.

no
lol, so a person with a ticket gets 2,481 goes at still only being a 62,000 to 1 winner o_O fair enough.

no your 1 ticket is in all 2481 draws. 2481 chances to be the 1 in 62000 winner is equal to an overall 1 in 25 chance of eventually winning a prize

1/62000 X 2481 = 2481/62000 = 0.04 = 4% = 1/25

There's a similar scam, I mean scheme, in Adelaide when one of the hospitals has one of these big lotteries - at $100 a ticket I'll pass.

Best one was the Adelaide Football Club's raffle a few years ago- $200 a ticket and first prize was something like $50 000. Despite the club harassing, I mean telemarketing, all it's members begging them to buy tickets (anyone who receive a call about it would what I'm talking about), what started out as being targeted to a select few members got expanded to the entire membership base, and then the general public. I strongly doubt the tickets sold out.

Close, but not quite.

for each draw, there is one winning ticket and 61999 losing tickets. So the odds of any given ticket being a losing ticket are 61999/62000.
Since there are 2481 draws, the chances of not winning any of the draws are 61999/62000 raised to the power of 2481.
The odds of winning at least one prize are 1 minus the odds of not winning any prizes. So your final odds of winning are:
1 - (61999/62000)^2481

I am posting on an iPad so can't be bothered doing the math here, but pop that into a calculator for your answer.

Edit - Damn my OCD! Had to go back and do the sums. Works out at about 3.9% which is basically what chunky said, so that goes to show what pedantry gets you!

I know this is an old post I came along but I couldn't help myself but to help. I have been using this website for years now with lottery odds and they actually do odds for MS lottery: http://www.prizehometickets.com.au/lottery-odds/ I know that's hard to read but top right click buy tickets ( even if your not ) you can still select ms lottery and it will use their built in calculator to provide you with the odds of winning. It's pretty mint.

That's all I really have but I think it's a good share.

im sure the people that have won the big prizes in the past are not bitching about the odds.

"gotta be in it, to win it"

an like all lotto draws i go in no matter what the odds i just assume ive brought the winning ticket until such time i find out it isn't, its a $20-30 investment in a daydream...

I would recommend you to read information about Australian lotteries because to win there a prize is a bit easier, sometimes I win pretty good prizes. I consider it to be useful info, read Australian Lotto Results

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back