Nab Cup Round 1 vs Collingwood and GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone watching, is our kicking bloody terrible? :D Because it sounds it.

Early on, mainly the first half (or quarter... whatever it is) you were reasonably composed and were a class above in skills. The workrate dropped off significantly in the second half, coupled with some better pressure from the Giants and the skills dropped right off towards the latter end of the second half

Early on, mainly the first half (or quarter... whatever it is) you were reasonably composed and were a class above in skills. The workrate dropped off significantly in the second half, coupled with some better pressure from the Giants and the skills dropped right off towards the latter end of the second half

Thanks sg, having to listen, not watch, really sucks. Haha.

Think bad and then times it by 2. We were fumbly, we over-kicked the ball, we were undisciplined (minno, wood), when we got it within goal kicking range we played hot potato kicking and hand-balling the ball around until we lost possession.

Cross thank god marked and kicked a goal - so that was one positive. Ace Cordy was another, Jones pack mark was superb. Negatives, Minno - no improvement at all - I say play Cordy, he is our future and we are not expected to challenge for the flag this year.

Boyd tried his best, Vespremi tried hard, Shaggy was good in the first half. I noticed Clay Smith a few times, so that was good.

Mitch messed up some things but give him credit he would make a huge effort to rectify it .

Skinner was good, but the delivery into the 50 to him was poor, over-kicking the target, etc.

Collingwood are going to destroy us.

GWS are a team of big boys, I was expecting some skinny little kids, but they are well developed players - they will win some games this year.

Didn't get the chance to watch the game, but disappointing to read traitor ward get free for a super goal. I know it's only pre season but thought it would have been a good opportunity to blanket him with picken or even cross. Not an inspiring start to 2012 but still early days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy crap, our disposal tonight was mirror image of last year.....i hope they were just off tonight, and ill cut them slack because its the first game, but god if that's where our kicking is at, we wont make the 8, guaranteed!

On a positive note, i really liked Howards game tonight, i think he is the new Gilbee, set up some nice play off the half back line.

Boyd and Cross was Boyd and Cross. Just 100% effort and really carried our midfield.

I think Minson did pretty well, had some pretty good possi's and held his own in the ruck.

Murphy and Shaggy were really good. Boyd of course was Boyd. I wonder what would have happened if we had not lost Griffin? But hey most of that game was a point the difference.

I had to listen to a very one sided commentating team - constantly on about the players missing from Collingwood. Sorry, but Swan, Shaw, Jolly, Ball, et al were out there. We were missing players as well didn't comment on who we were missing !!!

Still looks like we are going to struggle with our forwardline this year though, but for me I will just keep smiling thinking about the superdraft and what silk we are going to get.

Holy crap, our disposal tonight was mirror image of last year.....i hope they were just off tonight, and ill cut them slack because its the first game, but god if that's where our kicking is at, we wont make the 8, guaranteed!

On a positive note, i really liked Howards game tonight, i think he is the new Gilbee, set up some nice play off the half back line.

Boyd and Cross was Boyd and Cross. Just 100% effort and really carried our midfield.

I think Minson did pretty well, had some pretty good possi's and held his own in the ruck.
I'm thinking we're NOT going to make the 8.

Great sign: Ryan Hargrave back, Tom Williams looks composed and Boyd/Libba getting plenty of the ball. Bring on Round 1.

Wow second game GWS should have and could have beaten a 'young collingwood' team as stressed constantly by the commentators. However Ball, Shaw, Toovey, Fasolo, Dawes, Goldsack, Swan, and Thomas were in the 'young' team while GWS didn't have Ward, Davis, Power or any of their senior players!!!!

GWS are going to be a very good team!

Correction please ....... I detected a 'Hargraves'

I can't speak for Foxtel, as I only listened on SEN. I would imagine there would have been a HargraveS on fox though :D

After the first game i thought god its going to be a long season. By rights, we should have lost the first game. Skills were poor, fumbling, poor choices, laziness(tiredness?), but overrall bad skills showed. Minson, Boyd, Cross, Griff, Shaggy, Cordy, Picken, and Zephi kept us iin it,( Gia Libba And Marko were ok too ).

After watching game 2, what a difference a few players make. Murph was great, Williams was good, Grant was a target without doing much, Dickson was unlucky.

All in all our structures were wrong for game 1 better for game 2, but take the best from both games we will be competitive.

Wallis- just isn't there yet.
Minson- got better as the games went on.
Vez - looked ok off half back.
Shaggy-Early call, he's back.
Jones- He is good, but he needs support around him.
Markovic-did his job.
Cordy and Roughead- both good, evens at the moment.
Senior players-Murph, Boyd, Cross, Williams, Gia - Same old.
Libba and Dahl-Good without being special.
Talia and Smith and Panos- didnt look out of place.
Skinner- did what was reqired was ok
With the likes of Sherman, Higgins, Coons, Lake and Gilbee, along with Tutt to add polish, the season should be ok.
Keep in mind its first round of Nab cup.

Point One: NAB Cup was only important in 2010. Meaningless competition prior to then and now. Unless we win it this year and then it's important again.

Point Two: Ryan Hargrave played well. Easily in our best 22 (especially with Dale Morris out for some time.)

Point Three: It's Griffen. Ryan Griffen.

Point Four: Igloo.... put down the laptop, turn off the radio, hop out of your car and go back into the restaurant where your family and friends are waiting for you. It's the NAB Cup man!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back