List Mgmt. NAB preseason comp thingy - round 1 team

Remove this Banner Ad

We already have a round 1 best 22 thread. But for me I cant really do it without making a few decisions based on the preseason comp.

My thoughts for the best twenty ....... something ( anyone know )? is to work out the abilities of players where its not quite clear, and to establish some sort of pecking order for those not clearly part of a 22.
Its also good for some of the older players who may have had injury riddled seasons to get some form back.

My thoughts are
Rookies: Shenton , Minchington , Weller , Templeton all to play both roounds.
Fisher, Gwilt , Schnieder and Gilbert need a run.
And of course we want to see Markworth.

It will be interesting to see a forward/Ruck setup with all of Stanley ,Hickey, and Longer. ( Lee possibly still healing from shoulder op ).

And of course it will be good to see all the new players have a run.

Yeah we don't give a s**t who wins , but I want to see them compete. And if there is a spot for round 1 up for grabs some of the young guys may go in pretty hard.

Thoughts?

FB: Simpkin - Delaney - Newnes
HB: Murdoch - Bruce - Shenton
CR: Webster - Weller - Curren
RK: Hickey - Armitage - Steven
HF: Markworth - Stanley - Milera
FF: Minchington - Maister - Longer
Int (from): Gwilt - Geary - Ray - Wright - Siposs - Jones - Saunders - Billings - Dunstan - Acres - Ross - Templeton - Pierce

No Riewoldt, Hayes, Gilbert, Montagna, Fisher, Schneider or Dempster unless we decide they need a run. Blokes like Steven and Lee are 50/50s based on necessity or injury, White is iffy due to the wrist, Holmes probably not ready.

Agreed on keeping the veterans out for at least the first game.

Would be great to just see the kids play as a unity like the first Freo game was.

Agreed on keeping the veterans out for at least the first game.

Would be great to just see the kids play as a unity like the first Freo game was.

I think Fisher and Schnieder in particular need some game time.
Totally agree that Riewoldt and Lenny should maybe only have a light run in the second game.
Should also give Joey a couple of good games, given he gets a week off round 1.

i would like us to go out and try and win this, while playing the youngsters. it should be good for our development.

I think Fisher and Schnieder in particular need some game time.
Totally agree that Riewoldt and Lenny should maybe only have a light run in the second game.
Should also give Joey a couple of good games, given he gets a week off round 1.

True that, easy to forget how many games they didnt play last year. Montagna could go either way and why they didn't contest that weak ass suspension I have no idea.

Int (from): Gwilt - Geary - Ray - Siposs - Jones - Saunders - Billings - Dunstan - Acres - Ross - Templeton - Pierce

No Riewoldt, Hayes, Gilbert, Montagna, Fisher, Schneider or Dempster unless we decide they need a run. Blokes like Steven and Lee are 50/50s based on necessity or injury, White is iffy due to the wrist, Holmes probably not ready.

That does look like a team for the future. Handy interchange aswell! I'd be swapping Shenton with Wright though.

Int (from): Gwilt - Geary - Ray - Siposs - Jones - Saunders - Billings - Dunstan - Acres - Ross - Templeton - Pierce

Noticed Lewis post a photo on Instagram didn't look like he was in Boulder with the boys, might be under an injury cloud also and didn't attend?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a extended bench in this years preseason? Not sure if I'd love it if there is - I'd like to see some young guys get some early exposure and start building a bit of a tank.

Is there a extended bench in this years preseason? Not sure if I'd love it if there is - I'd like to see some young guys get some early exposure and start building a bit of a tank.

May not as i think alot of clubs will be trying to factor in restricted interchanges due to the cap being introduced. But they do some strange things with the nab cup so who knows.

Reckon we need to use at least one of the games to play adhering to the interchange cap otherwise could be a very big wake up call come rd 1.

i would like us to go out and try and win this, while playing the youngsters. it should be good for our development.
Sadly, there's nothing to win this year.

The AFL have completely stuffed the pre-season games. For decades, it was a really valuable part of the competition. Great teams very rarely tried to win it, focussing on preparing for the "real thing" instead. That meant lesser teams, especially younger teams, got to make it into the pre-season comp's finals, and give the kids a tiny taster of what the real thing could be like. It is no coincidence that we did well in the real thing after winning the pre-season: Won PS in 96, then play in real Semi that year and GF in 97; Won PS in 04, play real Prelims in 04 and 05; Win PS in 08, play real GF in 09.

I also didn't mind the mild experimentation with rules.

Then that idiocy with 3-games-in-1 started thanks to GC and GWS, and then it was truly stuffed. Totally unnecessary, too - it could be so bleeding simple: Just play 9 teams vs 9 teams in the first week, and the best 8 winners (by %) play in the finals, leaving the losers and worst winner to play exhibition games. So:
  1. 9 vs 9
  2. Elimination Finals 4 vs 4 (no reward for finishing top 4, because nobody cares that much)
  3. Semi Finals 2 vs 2
  4. Grand Final 1 vs 1
Have it in February, start the season in March. Done.

i'm hoping the change in the pre-season comp will lead to a lengthening of the AFL season and potentially an increase in list size or more flexibility in temporary rookie upgrades.

increase it to a 27 round season. increase the senior list by 4. increase the rookie list by 2. allow for the temporary upgrade of 2 rookies mid-season

Int (from): Gwilt - Geary - Ray - Wright - Siposs - Jones - Saunders - Billings - Dunstan - Acres - Ross - Templeton - Pierce

Great idea, would love to see a team made up entirely of players who will peak between 3 and 8 years from now, good to see some development amongst the newbies, one change, would swap Maister for White because I think he should be given an opportunity even if it is only NAB cup

They had a number of players undergo surgery in the off-season, including Sam Fisher (foot), Arryn Siposs, Jack Newnes and Tom Lee (shoulder), Terry Milera (leg), Adam Schneider (thumb), Tom Simpkin (shin), James Gwilt and Sean Dempster (knee), and Rhys Stanley (collarbone).Richardson said the list was in "pretty good shape" and was optimistic about availability for the first pre-season game next month."We'd be mid-30s (of numbers in full training), and those guys would have been able to get significant load into them in terms of prep for a game in a few weeks time," he said."There are certainly others who might not be in that 35 that are also in pretty good shape that would add to that group by the time we get there.

Who won't be ready come NAB R1: Pierce, Gwilt, Roo, Dempster?, Billings?, Wright?, ...

Would assume Holmes, Templeton and Baker-T wont get a look in either.

They had a number of players undergo surgery in the off-season, including Sam Fisher (foot), Arryn Siposs, Jack Newnes and Tom Lee (shoulder), Terry Milera (leg), Adam Schneider (thumb), Tom Simpkin (shin), James Gwilt and Sean Dempster (knee), and Rhys Stanley (collarbone).Richardson said the list was in "pretty good shape" and was optimistic about availability for the first pre-season game next month."We'd be mid-30s (of numbers in full training), and those guys would have been able to get significant load into them in terms of prep for a game in a few weeks time," he said."There are certainly others who might not be in that 35 that are also in pretty good shape that would add to that group by the time we get there.

Who won't be ready come NAB R1: Pierce, Gwilt, Roo, Dempster?, Billings?, Wright?, ...

Would assume Holmes, Templeton and Baker-T wont get a look in either.

Roo? Whats wrong with him.
Wright should be close to full training.
Gwilt?
Pierce should be getting close.

Traditionally Roo never plays much NAB cup. Assume Gwilt's knee is still got him on reduced load and Wright having missed boulder camp.

Just dont think there will be space for Eli this year thats all. Especially with a new coach wanting to see the squads ability.

Was mearly trying to read between the lines on his interview in regards to 20 players not being ready atm with a few being possibly ready by NAB rd1. Thats all not malice meant to those named.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back