Game Day NAB Round 2 - Cats v Crows, Symonds Stadium.

Remove this Banner Ad

So you're saying Sydney and Hawthorn were winning in last years NAB Cup.

Thus Elite Crow, it would appear that all Hawthorn, Sydney and Adelaide are all looking at very dangerous signs for the ahead season?

To me it all depends on how a club chooses to take the NAB Cup, and the form really doesn't lead to too much. We've clearly demonstrated we are taking a different approach to the NAB this season in comparison to last. It does not mean we are any worse, or our form will struggle so much across a 22 game season.

What im saying is what actually happened and you can draw your own conclusion.

What it strongly suggests to me is that sides who perform well pre season generally have a good season proper.

But its obviously not science and there will always be exceptions. Personally i would prefer my team to be showing a bit more than it has.

Where did you get that? I'm saying Neil wasn't a great motivator.

A coach in tune with his players' mental state is able to turn their attitude around in the blink of an eye. Great coaches always have to be great motivators.

Football is mostly played between the ears.
I interpreted your comment about answering my own question as the end of craig lead to the turnaround in attitude. I disagree that a coach is generally able to turn his players attitudes at will. what would be the benefit of letting them get away with an unproductive attitude?

You only get a finite number of good games every season. Don't waste them in the NAB Cup.

Treat the NAB Cup with the contempt it deserves.
Sides can only peak for so long in a season, so given we have nothing to prove, there is no point peaking in the NAB!

Sando quite clearly has taken a different approach to last year - resting players - rather than playing our best line-up every week - conditioning them just enough to get them right for the season proper - which means different number of games for different players. His eye is on the end game not the NAB trophy... Also, its not like he wants to show how our game plan has changed in the NAB.

what would be the benefit of letting them get away with an unproductive attitude?

Kane touched on it a couple of posts North.

I think great motivators know that there's only so many times a year you can be "switched on." Players aren't robots, they are human beings. AFL is a pretty demanding game and you can't be "up and about" every week from March to September. It's just not going to happen.

I interpreted your comment about answering my own question as the end of craig lead to the turnaround in attitude. I disagree that a coach is generally able to turn his players attitudes at will. what would be the benefit of letting them get away with an unproductive attitude?

Not so much an unproductive attitude as a heavy reduction in intensity and commitment. Seeing as its the preseason - whats the point in trying to play Danger for 95% game time and having him go in like a wrecking ball?

Sando put the runs on the board last year. I am sure he is managing the players well enough through the preseason to ensure we are ready for Essendon.

What im saying is what actually happened and you can draw your own conclusion.

What it strongly suggests to me is that sides who perform well pre season generally have a good season proper.

But its obviously not science and there will always be exceptions. Personally i would prefer my team to be showing a bit more than it has.

Of course it shows some signs, particuarly if the team is taking it seriously. Last pre-season in comparison to this one for Adelaide are absolute opposites. It's impossible to compare prformances when it was clear last year we wanted to win it. This year we have clearly taken a different approach and managed players. Sure we'd all love to see them up and about, but it's clearly not what we aied to do in this pre-season. Everyone would like to see more from the boys this weekend, but it's been clear that our minds have been on round 1 and the season from the get go.

Of course it shows some signs, particuarly if the team is taking it seriously. Last pre-season in comparison to this one for Adelaide are absolute opposites. It's impossible to compare prformances when it was clear last year we wanted to win it. This year we have clearly taken a different approach and managed players. Sure we'd all love to see them up and about, but it's clearly not what we aied to do in this pre-season. Everyone would like to see more from the boys this weekend, but it's been clear that our minds have been on round 1 and the season from the get go.[/quote

What do you think about 2007-2011 when of 20 semi finalists in the NAB cup comp over that period , 16 went in to play finals?

Look its obviously not the end of the world, but neither is is particularly comforting, regardless of any spin that is applied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think about 2007-2011 when of 20 semi finalists in the NAB cup comp over that period , 16 went in to play finals?

Look its obviously not the end of the world, but neither is is particularly comforting, regardless of any spin that is applied.

Do you actually think that any of that means that Sydney, Hawthorn, Fremantle and Adelaide (the bottom 4), will miss the 8 this season?

I understand your statistical standpoint, but statistics don't tale in to mind the thought process of clubs and coaches in the NAB Cup. One thing is for sure, come Round 1, everyone will actually be desperate to win at all costs. This weekend, they will not.

Not so much an unproductive attitude as a heavy reduction in intensity and commitment. Seeing as its the preseason - whats the point in trying to play Danger for 95% game time and having him go in like a wrecking ball?

Sando put the runs on the board last year. I am sure he is managing the players well enough through the preseason to ensure we are ready for Essendon.
I hope youre right, and as i mentioned earlier, im not writing off the season, but so far i dont like what i see.

I hope youre right, and as i mentioned earlier, im not writing off the season, but so far i dont like what i see.
Since when has pre-season been a good indicator of how teams have gone in the season proper?

If we were serious about the NAB, why would Sando have rested most of his best-22 in the first round?

Since when has pre-season been a good indicator of how teams have gone in the season proper?

If we were serious about the NAB, why would Sando have rested most of his best-22 in the first round?
Im not necessarily talking about skills or results, but effort and attitude. What disappoints me most is seeing players not in the best 22 that IMO arent making the most of their opportunities.

Im not necessarily talking about skills or results, but effort and attitude. What disappoints me most is seeing players not in the best 22 that IMO arent making the most of their opportunities.
Sure would be good to have more positives, but not going to get contunuity when players are subbed after a half of footy. Winning these games has not been the priority. See how we go in the end game before judging our pre-season. How many games did the current premiers win last pre-season ;)

This is the only thing I find truly concerning. The NAB Cup is a huge opportunity for fringe players but we seem to learning more about who is not good enough, rather than those who are.

Sure would be good to have more positives, but not going to get contunuity when players are subbed after a half of footy. Winning these games has not been the priority. See how we go in the end game before judging our pre-season. How many games did the current premiers win last pre-season ;)
as Mr_Moogle says, i would have liked to have seen more hunger from the guys that arent best 22 to make it into the side, rather than more goals on the scoreboard. as it stands i feel like i got neither.

Its not losing NAB cup games that bothers me. We have actually been bloody awful throughout the NAB cup. Our win against Port was more about scheduling on the day than about how we played. Whilst I am not convinced we are doomed, there is definitely cause for concern. Form is is not something that can be found by flicking a switch.

This is where I am with things, too. I don't mind losing preseason games, particularly when we've treated most of them as glorified trial matches. What I don't like is the manner in which we've gone about them, where frankly we've been deplorable.

I'm also a big believer in the idea that form and attitude can't just be switched on and off. Actually, I'll clarify that. I believe it can be easily switched off. I'm don't believe it can be just turned on again at will.

I'm not concerned about losing games. I'm concerned about how poorly we've played, and how out of form some players look. I'm hoping we'll warm into the season and start off strongly, but I'm nonetheless concerned.

im with stabby.

the manner of the loss on the weekend is concerning, sending a strong lineup over to Kp to be just witches hats is a worry. our kicking skills were the worst id seen since sando has taken over.

hopefully just a blip and we are back to ourselves this week, but crows fan have every right to be concerned.

some quotes from Sando...........AFC site....

'.....we are not getting what we want at the moment.....'
'.....not working hard enough off the ball......'
'.....attitude and work rate as 2 major focuses for Friday night'
'.....different attitude, better structurally and more organised (Fri night)'.........

im with stabby.

the manner of the loss on the weekend is concerning, sending a strong lineup over to Kp to be just witches hats is a worry. our kicking skills were the worst id seen since sando has taken over.

hopefully just a blip and we are back to ourselves this week, but crows fan have every right to be concerned.
the loss we had to have ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back