List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate of mine who is a player agent said last night he’s been told the club would likely allow JB to explore his options and if an offer of $750k plus came along would suggest he take it. They want 2 first round picks this year to regenerate the list which is stacked with 25-28 year olds. One of those first round picks may then be split into 2 late first rounds (I.e pick 7 for pick 15 and 20) or just be used in isolation.

Mate of mine who is a player agent said last night he’s been told the club would likely allow JB to explore his options and if an offer of $750k plus came along would suggest he take it. They want 2 first round picks this year to regenerate the list which is stacked with 25-28 year olds. One of those first round picks may then be split into 2 late first rounds (I.e pick 7 for pick 15 and 20) or just be used in isolation.
Keep in mind this is back in April. But would you really want to trade what looks like a top 5 pick for Richmonds (tied to Geelong)or Brisbanes (tied to Melbourne)firsts?

Keep in mind this is back in April. But would you really want to trade what looks like a top 5 pick for Richmonds (tied to Geelong)or Brisbanes (tied to Melbourne)firsts?

I'd think we could explore trading a future 1st to any of either of those clubs for a 2021 and 22 FRDP.

I'd do that deal with Brisbane and chuck in a future 2nd for Payne.
Take 2 top 10's and an end of first round then sit back and snaffle our academy kids as they come up.

That would leave us a bit tight for operation Bing in 2022, but not so much as to prevent him walking..
Winners all round IMHO

I'd think we could explore trading a future 1st to any of either of those clubs for a 2021 and 22 FRDP.

Take 2 top 10's and an end of first round then sit back and snaffle our academy kids as they come up.

That would leave us a bit tight for operation Bing in 2022, but not so much as to prevent him walking..
Winners all round IMHO
Your idea is sound. But it only works if a club is really confident we stay bottom 5 in 2022.

Your idea is sound. But it only works if a club is really confident we stay bottom 5 in 2022.
I think top 10 would do it.
You've always got to pay extras for high picks so it's about right.
A bit of lose change either way and it's done, and it's about pick 33 deficit which is nothing in the context of it.

Even if we throw our 2021 3rd into the mix to lubricate the deal it wouldn't make a lick of difference to our outcome.

Winners all round IMHO

I really hate splitting picks when you have a top 6 pick. They are like gold and shouldn't be watered down and I really hate selling the future picks unless something so good it's hard to pass up comes along. Even as good as Snags has been this year we have given up a lot for him with a down grade last year and a second this year that looks like it's close to a first rounder. He really wants to become a gun now.

To me you have some big balls and draft the best available talent at the highest pick you have, splitting is the cowards way out. They've got a habit of working with picks that they don't yet have and it's never usually in the sellers favour. If they sell Billings off we have a responsibility to come up with something better or it looks a lot like every other one of these trades that they sold us from Dal and Goddard to Mc Evoy, Stanley, Hickey, Bruce etc. We have start getting these right or we will be hanging around the bottom rungs long term.

I really hate splitting picks when you have a top 6 pick. They are like gold and shouldn't be watered down and I really hate selling the future picks unless something so good it's hard to pass up comes along. Even as good as Snags has been this year we have given up a lot for him with a down grade last year and a second this year that looks like it's close to a first rounder. He really wants to become a gun now.

To me you have some big balls and draft the best available talent at the highest pick you have, splitting is the cowards way out. They've got a habit of working with picks that they don't yet have and it's never usually in the sellers favour. If they sell Billings off we have a responsibility to come up with something better or it looks a lot like every other one of these trades that they sold us from Dal and Goddard to Mc Evoy, Stanley, Hickey, Bruce etc. We have start getting these right or we will be hanging around the bottom rungs long term.
On the whole I agree with that, and I said a while back that the introduction of Free Agency effectively means that the contending clubs will get access to the top players when their window is open, so just don't trade out your first round pick as there is no reason for it now.

However, it the context of my previous post I think the state of our list makes it ok to do so, since we'd be taking 3 first round picks in a single year and would acquire the FB that we need. With that, our current list of youngish players and free agency, I reckon we can afford to throw the kitchen sink at Bing in 2022 and be a force from then on.
After that we revert to just using our picks and grabbing free agents or cheap top up types.

It's all a bit too pie in the sky for me at the moment though. We have 1 pick right now.

On the whole I agree with that, and I said a while back that the introduction of Free Agency effectively means that the contending clubs will get access to the top players when their window is open, so just don't trade out your first round pick as there is no reason for it now.

However, it the context of my previous post I think the state of our list makes it ok to do so, since we'd be taking 3 first round picks in a single year and would acquire the FB that we need. With that, our current list of youngish players and free agency, I reckon we can afford to throw the kitchen sink at Bing in 2022 and be a force from then on.
After that we revert to just using our picks and grabbing free agents or cheap top up types.

It's all a bit too pie in the sky for me at the moment though. We have 1 pick right now.

I would much prefer quality over quantity now. We have no trouble filling list spots with players, it's the top end ones we have trouble finding. It's very rare for suspestar players to move clubs under any circumstances. Franklin, Ablett and Danger the only ones that I remember and all had a extraordinary circumstances with once in a life time deals for Buddy and Ablett and a star who wanted to go home to sleepy hollow and nowhere else. It is the only way clubs like Melbourne could get theirs and now they would be a very attractive club and will attract more quality.

I think until you do some of the hard yards through the draft you'll only be able to pick in the bin and end up with guys like Hanners keen for a retirement fund. Make yourself attractive and players line up to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same bloke isn’t it - Simon Dalrymple?
Geelong is Wells.

Dalrymple was at the Dogs and the Swans poached him after already having Kinnear Beatson who is one of the best as well. If you were putting together a dream team they would be up there in the first picked squad.

Wells is apparently stepping down from recruiting next year. He is a really interesting recruiter who does his own list management and is a bit of a draft whisperer. He thinks left field and finds new ways to get quality. Found Kelly in the WAFL, Stewart playing in the Barwon league or something, drafts footballers over athletes etc. They rarely have good draft picks but have stayed up for 20 years or something. Selwood has missed finals once in his whole career, Jack Steven never played in one. The difference in management is so stark it's painful.

It's really hard to know where Hugh Jackson will end up in the draft but I'd love to end up with him.

Our first pick will likely be too high for him but maybe we can get him with an early 2nd.

Yesterday was just about his quietest game for the year. 27 touches and a goal. I'm surprised he hasn't been given a senior game yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back