Universal Love Neale Daniher launches autobiography 'When All is Said & Done'

Remove this Banner Ad

1572049960957.png

A wise man said, 'Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.'I understand the wisdom of this - right now, I don't have much 'forwards' left.

Neale Daniher sat down to pen a letter to the grandchildren he'll never get to know. And then he kept on writing ...

In 2013, the AFL legend was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease - a cruel and incurable condition. He had a choice. He could spend his remaining time focused on himself, or he could seize the opportunity to make a better future for others.

Neale is no stranger to challenge. He grew up on a farm in remote New South Wales, the third of eleven children. He battled injury during his football career with Essendon, then jumped on the coaching rollercoaster, leading Melbourne for a decade. As general manager of football operations, he was part of the West Coast Eagles' cultural rebuild.

From the hard-won wisdom of life on the land and the love of his family, to the triumphs and gutting lows of elite football, Neale has learnt to make the most of the cards he's been dealt - to always live with purpose and to appreciate what he has.

True to form, Neale chose to stare down the disease he calls 'The Beast', and in 2014 he co-founded FightMND, an organisation that has since invested over $40 million into research and care initiatives. In 2015, he became the public face of the foundation's biggest fundraising event, The Big Freeze.

When All is Said & Done is a book of stories and wisdom from a man who has always held his beliefs to the Bunsen burner of life. Neale is unflinchingly honest, sharing a timely reminder that, even though life doesn't promise to be fair, we all have the power to choose how to make our time on this earth matter.

Will definitely be worth a read I think.

I can remember the game when all four brothers played but sadly I was too young to remember him in full-flight before the knee injuries. My old man agreed with you windyhill, referencing a game where we came behind to beat Carlton where he may have kicked 5 goals in the last quarter to back the claim.

I can remember the game when all four brothers played but sadly I was too young to remember him in full-flight before the knee injuries. My old man agreed with you windyhill, referencing a game where we came behind to beat Carlton where he may have kicked 5 goals in the last quarter to back the claim.
I gave up, I was on the fence and worked my way back to Dad. " we are going nowhere mate, go back to your spot"

I gave up, I was on the fence and worked my way back to Dad. " we are going nowhere mate, go back to your spot"

Was at the game, it was awesome. My dad missed it (rare for him), but he was propped in the car on Royal Parade waiting for us, and watching all of the Essendon supporters leaving. When Neale kicked the goal to put us in front, my dad yelled out "ESSENDON HAS HIT THE FRONT"!!! His car was then surrounded by fans, some of whom had jumped off the tram to come over, and they stayed & listened to the last minute, then erupted.

It was probably the time when we really thought that the club might be going somewhere in the next few years.

One of the best I’ve ever seen don the red and black. Within 10 games he was a superstar to the EFC faithful.

Quiet and unassuming...his awareness with ball in hand and his delivery by foot upfield was truly sublime.

Words can’t describe how good he was. And it was all over so quickly unfortunately.

Love the guy. As an Essendon immortal and as a human. A beautiful man.

Agree with the fellow old codgers above, would have been one of our greats. The year he first injured his knee we were flying with 15 in a row in ‘81. He went down second last round I think. We lost the next week against Cats at Waverley in a match that decided double chance in the finals. We beat the Blues twice that year. Who knows if Neale didn’t get injured.

My Port supporting mother in law got this book as part of her birthday present last Friday. She said I could take it to read as she might take a bit to get to it but I couldn't do that, it is her present.

I reckon I'll digest the book in a couple of days when she's done, it will be an amazing read.

Sadly I missed his best. Born in rural SA in 76 my ties to the Dons grew during 82 and 83.... Madden, Watson, TD, Daisy, kids like Neagle, Harvey, Thompson coming through, the list goes on, my god we were stacked. Through all of that my (still) long suffering Melbourne supporting dad kept telling me to just wait until Neale Daniher comes back.

I just can't recall him playing. I wish I could've seen him in full flight, despite how brief that time was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back