Oppo Camp Neeld Sacked - Craigy to take over

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe "one club Craigy" was just a myth.

Craig has etiquette. You don't say at your first presser that the clubs a basket case that you don't want to coach. That would suck any life left in the playing group and supporters. What you do say is you'll consider applying.

Thing with Dids running around unchecked is that surely he would have come up in the coaches meeting as someone they needed to shut down after the Hannebury debacle of the week before. Bailey can attend them correct? It just makes the whole issue even more amateurish or stubborn on Sando's part. Collectively they all need a big kick up the butthole.

Clarke attempted to explain it on Sunday in that they focused all their energies in their strategic meetings on shutting down Houli and Newman, as they had been the two prime behind the ball movers for Richmond over the past three matches. Deledio had been playing more pure midfield and forward of the play, so they did not expect him to play as a defensive sweeper. Clarke also said that the first message that came from the coaches box in the first few minutes was that they needed to be aware of Deledio and include him in the defensive groups mindset.

Clarke attempted to explain it on Sunday in that they focused all their energies in their strategic meetings on shutting down Houli and Newman, as they had been the two prime behind the ball movers for Richmond over the past three matches. Deledio had been playing more pure midfield and forward of the play, so they did not expect him to play as a defensive sweeper. Clarke also said that the first message that came from the coaches box in the first few minutes was that they needed to be aware of Deledio and include him in the defensive groups mindset.

It's not rocket science. You man up on Deledio and leave Houli as the extra man or you go man to man all over the ground (According to the commentators Richmond lined up with a 7 man defence). If Houli cuts you up then so be it. Deledio was moved into the midfield because other clubs were placing a hard tag on him in defence.

On the other hand we decided to use Matty Jaensch as our loose man in defence. That must have set off a panic attack in the Richmond coaches box.

Should have, would have, could have, STO - but didn't. Sando said himself that they deliberated on it for a quarter and a half before they did anything.
What he forgot to say is that they didn't start deliberating until half way through the third quarter. :p

Hutchy and Rooch just mentioned that Neil Craig would be a good candidate for Jeff Gieschen's job.....

Does anybody want to have a crack at Craigy trying to explain some of the rules?

There's a prize for the best entry.

Hutchy and Rooch just mentioned that Neil Craig would be a good candidate for Jeff Gieschen's job.....

Does anybody want to have a crack at Craigy trying to explain some of the rules?

There's a prize for the best entry.
Imagine the dvd sent out to the clubs at the start of the year.... lols

Anyone else notice how organised and well drilled GWS looked last year, and how rudderless this year?

How one dimensional richmond were last season, and how switched on, well prepared, everyone knows their roles etc they look this year?

Could Fat Choco actually be a cracking coach?

He must be eyeing off the Dees position like he does pizza

From what I've heard Craigy had his hand forced. Viney etc didn't want to take it on, so Craigy took the bullet for the team. He wont be putting in an application at the end of the year.

I think its a smart move. At least Craigy has great coaching experience. If he takes them back to simple contested footy rather than trying to play the boundary, force a defensive mindset on them first they could have a few surprise wins.

I mean they could have done a lot worse. Remember it is only an intern coach. Good luck to him.

yeah, you mean interim.

I cant remember craig ever playing simple footy, other than late 2004 when I was in year 12 and wayne carey was on our list, what a time that was...

one thing about craigy was that players tended to like him I think, so that's a plus, and neeld was utterly useless so all in all this is a good move.

But... Craig has his foot in the door, he's a fine caretaker, but it will be a huge mistake if he gets the gig next year.

Don't kid yourself, craig wants that job.

Anyone else notice how organised and well drilled GWS looked last year, and how rudderless this year?

How one dimensional richmond were last season, and how switched on, well prepared, everyone knows their roles etc they look this year?

I always thought he was a very good coach, just didn't like him as he comes across as a person. Melbourne could do very well with him.

Very good coach and vastly underrated IMO....only by those that have not worked with him though.

His record is excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He tried his hardest to pull off his signature game didn't he? :p

It's interesting how many of the MOB were more than happy to blame Craigy for the lack of fitness at Melbourne, game plan etc,etc, etc but when he does take over they suddenly improve Haven't heard a word from the MOB so far.

I was watching the last quarter of the Melbourne/ Bulldogs match and I could imagine "the usual suspects" pulling out the KY.:p

It's interesting how many of the MOB were more than happy to blame Craigy for the lack of fitness at Melbourne, game plan etc,etc, etc but when he does take over they suddenly improve Haven't heard a word from the MOB so far.

I was watching the last quarter of the Melbourne/ Bulldogs match and I could imagine "the usual suspects" pulling out the KY.:p
So they nearly got mowed down at the end, superior fitness? Most clubs win the following week or weeks after a change of coach, I wouldn't be installing craigy back on your pedal stall just yet Jack.

The Neil Craig manhunt on bigfooty was in large part started by Carl and CD. The former's argument amounted to...Craig having idiosyncrasies and...oddly enough, good consistent coaching structures. CD raised pertinent issues, but Craig still gets my vote as a better coach than Sando, who has a lot of work to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back