Politics & Government Nelson Mandela - Rest in Peace

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely rest in peace.

From militancy, to prison, to the high road championing peace, democracy and social advocacy, a complete rarity in modern times.

Hopefully his message of "inclusivity, accountability and freedom of speech" lives on.

Not really, its a fairly standard journey. Just not everybody gets the same set of lucky circumstances and white guilt.

Yasser Arafat didn't because he was too Arab.

Martin McGuinnes won't because he's a bit too close to home.

1469795_185428391649830_642809246_n.jpg

Evidently its ok for white British leaders to support Cambodian genocide, but a whole new set of rules exist if you're a black south african...

“If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America. They don’t care for human beings” - Nelson Mandela

“If you look at those matters, you will come to the conclusion that the attitude of the United States of America is a threat to world peace.”
- Nelson Mandela

“If there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America. They don’t care for human beings” - Nelson Mandela

“If you look at those matters, you will come to the conclusion that the attitude of the United States of America is a threat to world peace.”
- Nelson Mandela

one minute you're arguing against nelson, now you are arguing for him. got yourself a little confused my friend.

I'm not sure how I feel about this guy tbh. Yeah, I visited Robben Island and read the letters he had sent to his kids, teared up a bit, all that s**t, but I don't really know if I like him. I cebf reading his wikipedia page to refresh my memory about the guy.
Ever since I started this thread, there has been no evidence that he was ever alive except for statements by his family and the government.

Just sayin'.
It would be fun to chime in and mock you for your efforts on this issue, but the truth is that I also believe he has been dead for ages. In fact I think it is pretty obvious. But then I also think the official story of Martin Bryant's killings is bullshit and our national government has been infiltrated by US intelligence agencies, so I've got form on these conspiracy theories. You're normally more of a Lisa Simpson-level skeptic iirc...
Really is a sad reflection on society when there was more stuff about Paul Walker's death on my Facebook news feed than there has been for Mandela.
I think it is sadder that you feel facebook is an appropriate place to 'pay respects'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big old meh. Hyperbolic. Face of something, not the thing. White guilt. South Africa still a shithole.

I like how these days it seems that whenever someone famous/important dies, it's a competition about who can give less of a s**t.

*grunching and this has probably already been said*

i think that's preferable to the alternative which is who can wax lyrical about them in a tribute on social media w/o actually knowing anything (or genuinely caring beyond being warm & fuzzy) in an effort to show how enlightened and socially aware they are.

what are these tributes adding?

- Nelson Mandela

Surely he has better quotes and insights than this? Reads like something an 18 year old first year uni student who has just discovered Chomsky would say…in other words, it has little to no insight or value.

anyone watch the memorial tonight?

i was sorta zoned in and out from doing other stuff but i spent a lot of time head scratching... maybe it was a bit of cultural barrier. there was one guy who spent most of the time admonishing the crowd. it reminded me of a school assembly. a few of the speakers barely spoke about him. i think barack obama's speech was the only one that was pretty much entirely about mandela.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back