Strategy New CEO - Welcome aboard Jennifer Watt - Starts Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Another feather in the cap for gokangas sources.
I said this in the Clarko thread too, but if we like posters passing on what they hear, we can’t hang s**t on them if their sources are wrong or things change or it turns out they over egged the information. I’d rather have some false trails than see everyone clam up. (And yes I know there’s history, but my point stands.)

I said this in the Clarko thread too, but if we like posters passing on what they hear, we can’t hang s**t on them if their sources are wrong or things change or it turns out they over egged the information. I’d rather have some false trails than see everyone clam up. (And yes I know there’s history, but my point stands.)

I would suggest that under the reign of Sonja Hood, anyone who has info is either bullshitting, or passing on the last legit info they'll ever get when it is discovered that they are yapping.

I would suggest that under the reign of Sonja Hood, anyone who has info is either bullshitting, or passing on the last legit info they'll ever get when it is discovered that they are yapping.
Think/hope you are right about the big club decisions, but sharing rumours or whispers in good faith is part of the fun of being here, everyone can choose how they take it.

My tip was from a Geelong connection. I was told they upped the ante to keep him but who knows - media report suggests his references did not help him with insiders at Geelong suggesting he isn't quite ready. That's what I was told. I agree re Sonya. She runs a tight ship and harder to get good info. That's a good thing.

My tip was from a Geelong connection. I was told they upped the ante to keep him but who knows - media report suggests his references did not help him with insiders at Geelong suggesting he isn't quite ready. That's what I was told. I agree re Sonya. She runs a tight ship and harder to get good info. That's a good thing.

You said it was a "done deal" to us. No mention of antes being upped etc.

Edmund is just arse covering because he got it wrong, because he got nothhig, because he's a snivelling worm.

Hot tip - 3AW/Hunland know nothing about anything these days when it comes to the NMFC or Victorian politics.

Do not listen to anything anyone there tells you about North or Dan Andrews.

Done deal I am told.

You said it was a "done deal" to us. No mention of antes being upped etc.

Edmund is just arse covering because he got it wrong, because he got nothhig, because he's a snivelling worm.

Hot tip - 3AW/Hunland know nothing about anything these days when it comes to the NMFC or Victorian politics.

Do not listen to anything anyone there tells you about North or Dan Andrews.

Yep - what I was told from a Geelong person. Wrong it was.

This is a good point. Everyone who thinks they have a good source, or whose source has provided good information in the past, has to consider whether the information they've received in the last few months has been accurate. I think we can all agree that Sonja has sealed up a leaky submarine and the only people being told anything are people Sonja trusts implicitly. As SBTDOTB says, if you hear something then you are very fortunate, but if you decide to publish it, it's probably the last thing you'll ever hear.

This is a good point. Everyone who thinks they have a good source, or whose source has provided good information in the past, has to consider whether the information they've received in the last few months has been accurate. I think we can all agree that Sonja has sealed up a leaky submarine and the only people being told anything are people Sonja trusts implicitly. As SBTDOTB says, if you hear something then you are very fortunate, but if you decide to publish it, it's probably the last thing you'll ever hear.

Oh great

Another user I’ve got to work out.
giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As SBTDOTB says, if you hear something then you are very fortunate, but if you decide to publish it, it's probably the last thing you'll ever hear.

Sonja entering her "assassinating key club figures" phase is certainly an unexpected twist

I couldn’t tell you if this is good or not but I’m open minded.

This part of the email did catch my eye…
Good pick up Dan.

Wonder if this is what got her the role over Simon.
Someone to figure out how to replace the $2 million void there is going to be when we stop playing games in Hobart.

If she has a plan and she sold it well then I’m happy she was chosen.

Hey Jen.
We just elected a government for a further 4 years who have invested trillions in regional football grounds like Ballarat and the endless pit that is Kardinia Park.

This is the late Queen Elizabeth Oval in Bendigo. Let’s get it redeveloped and let’s get a couple of games there. Job done.
0CFD54B8-5AD6-44BF-A226-F74B7805A122.jpeg

I couldn’t tell you if this is good or not but I’m open minded.

This part of the email did catch my eye…

I hope that commercial alternative is to aggressively expand the supporter base in Melbourne and get more people into Docklands.

Anyone low enough to have a crack at gokangas is actually not a real human being.
Thanks Eggs11 - I post what I get in good faith. This one was wrong so I take what I get. My friend was 100% Lloyd thought he had the job. But things obviously changed. So be it.

Anyone low enough to have a crack at gokangas is actually not a real human being.
Thanks Eggs11 - I post what I get in good faith. This one was wrong so I take what I get. My friend was 100% Lloyd thought he had the job. But things obviously changed. So be it.
haha, maybe we were taking advice from the same person!

Jen Watt named new CEO of North Melbourne
www.heraldsun.com.au

Jen Watt‘s first job in football was to enter the names and details of Melbourne Football Club members into a computer.

Twenty years later she has become the second female to become an AFL chief executive and part of a historic double act at North Melbourne with president Dr Sonja Hood.

The girl power dynamic at Arden St is a “perfect match” according to Watt who will start her new gig in January.

When the announcement was made on Tuesday Watt’s phone blew up and it wasn’t until 11.30pm that she finished replying to every single message as well as congratulatory emails.

“I love that the industry is changing a little bit,” Watt said. ”We have got three female presidents, we had four, and this is another really great step.

“I don’t think it is necessarily about gender but I feel really proud to be able to represent that moment for the game.”

Hood said Watt, who is currently the commercial operations and partnerships manager at the Melbourne Cricket Club, went through the same recruitment method as senior coach Alastair Clarkson.

“I am delighted that it is history making, I’m delighted that it is forward thinking but to be perfectly honest I’m most delighted that she is the best person for the job,” Hood said.

“We knew we needed someone to bring our club together and that became really clear particularly once Todd (Viney) was in and Clarko was in. We’ve got a really strong footy IP, really strong executive team here and we needed someone to make the thing gell.

“I reckon in a footy club you think of it as a doughnut, footy is the jam and our jam is sitting out over there and it needs to sit in the middle of the doughnut. How you make that happen and how you make it permutate everything that you do and vice versa is one of the real challenges.

“We were really clear on who we were looking for and Jen was an absolute standout.”

The journey for Watt, 45, started at the Demons as a membership co-ordinator after she’d got her taste for the football industry working for player management group Flying Start.

“The early days at Melbourne was literally entering members details into the computer and I loved it,” she said. ”I got to understand match days, selling memberships in the tents at games and then issuing membership scarfs.

“Over my 14 years at Melbourne I worked my way through a range of jobs, I was marketing manager and then for the last eight years there I was general manager of marketing and communications looking after events, membership and merchandise.”

Watt was awarded the AFL’s Graeme Samuel Scholarship in 2016 which saw her spend five months learning the ropes at league headquarters.

She then moved over to the MCC to broaden her skill set and it was there where she first dreamt of one day running an AFL club.

“After 14 years you have a really strong sense of the club environment and then going to the MCC gave me an understanding of the industry environment,” Watt said.

“There’s the commercial side, the venue relationships with clubs, the Cricket Australia relationship and also working with promoters for the first time gave me an understanding of how to put on a Eminem concert.

New North Melbourne Kangaroos CEO Jen Watt and Club President Sonja Hood. Picture: David Caird
New North Melbourne Kangaroos CEO Jen Watt and Club President Sonja Hood. Picture: David Caird

“That all gave me a really great understanding of the economy of the whole industry and I’ve been there for five years which means I’ve driven to the MCG every day for 20 years.”

The mother of two has already got an indication from her eldest daughter that she may be willing to swap allegiance from Melbourne to the Kangaroos, a team Watt already had a soft spot for.

“I have always had a soft spot for them because Melbourne, North and the Bulldogs, people used to talk about them in the same fashion, AFL dependant, low supporter bases, lots of challenges,” Watt said.

“So then when North secured Alastair Clarkson and Todd Viney, it just started to feel like something pretty exciting. You just get a feeling that I think I really want to be part of it.”

Jen Watt named new CEO of North Melbourne
www.heraldsun.com.au

Jen Watt‘s first job in football was to enter the names and details of Melbourne Football Club members into a computer.

Twenty years later she has become the second female to become an AFL chief executive and part of a historic double act at North Melbourne with president Dr Sonja Hood.

The girl power dynamic at Arden St is a “perfect match” according to Watt who will start her new gig in January.

When the announcement was made on Tuesday Watt’s phone blew up and it wasn’t until 11.30pm that she finished replying to every single message as well as congratulatory emails.

“I love that the industry is changing a little bit,” Watt said. ”We have got three female presidents, we had four, and this is another really great step.

“I don’t think it is necessarily about gender but I feel really proud to be able to represent that moment for the game.”

Hood said Watt, who is currently the commercial operations and partnerships manager at the Melbourne Cricket Club, went through the same recruitment method as senior coach Alastair Clarkson.

“I am delighted that it is history making, I’m delighted that it is forward thinking but to be perfectly honest I’m most delighted that she is the best person for the job,” Hood said.

“We knew we needed someone to bring our club together and that became really clear particularly once Todd (Viney) was in and Clarko was in. We’ve got a really strong footy IP, really strong executive team here and we needed someone to make the thing gell.

“I reckon in a footy club you think of it as a doughnut, footy is the jam and our jam is sitting out over there and it needs to sit in the middle of the doughnut. How you make that happen and how you make it permutate everything that you do and vice versa is one of the real challenges.

“We were really clear on who we were looking for and Jen was an absolute standout.”

The journey for Watt, 45, started at the Demons as a membership co-ordinator after she’d got her taste for the football industry working for player management group Flying Start.

“The early days at Melbourne was literally entering members details into the computer and I loved it,” she said. ”I got to understand match days, selling memberships in the tents at games and then issuing membership scarfs.

“Over my 14 years at Melbourne I worked my way through a range of jobs, I was marketing manager and then for the last eight years there I was general manager of marketing and communications looking after events, membership and merchandise.”

Watt was awarded the AFL’s Graeme Samuel Scholarship in 2016 which saw her spend five months learning the ropes at league headquarters.

She then moved over to the MCC to broaden her skill set and it was there where she first dreamt of one day running an AFL club.

“After 14 years you have a really strong sense of the club environment and then going to the MCC gave me an understanding of the industry environment,” Watt said.

“There’s the commercial side, the venue relationships with clubs, the Cricket Australia relationship and also working with promoters for the first time gave me an understanding of how to put on a Eminem concert.

“That all gave me a really great understanding of the economy of the whole industry and I’ve been there for five years which means I’ve driven to the MCG every day for 20 years.”

The mother of two has already got an indication from her eldest daughter that she may be willing to swap allegiance from Melbourne to the Kangaroos, a team Watt already had a soft spot for.

“I have always had a soft spot for them because Melbourne, North and the Bulldogs, people used to talk about them in the same fashion, AFL dependant, low supporter bases, lots of challenges,” Watt said.

“So then when North secured Alastair Clarkson and Todd Viney, it just started to feel like something pretty exciting. You just get a feeling that I think I really want to be part of it.”
Permutate!?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back