Prediction New Club Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a weird mix, some of their stuff sports legit club logos that are no longer used. I’m just not sure if they designed it themselves or took it from somewhere else.

They do non-licensed stuff. I assume all logos are not currently protected.

I just can't agree with this at all.

I certainly don't see how using Pirates pushes us any further away from our history than Power does. Are you arguing that Pirates is a stronger brand than Power, so it might have resonated better therefore pushing the Port Adelaide stuff even further into the background than it was in the John James era?

Part of the reason i'm a big fan of the Pirates idea is because I think it ties into the maritime theme that we have never properly tapped into in our branding. I think that certainly would have kept us in the postcode more strongly than an abstract 90s concept like Power. The perfect branding for our AFL entry would have been one that incorporated the history and location pretty well. Power basically ignored it. Dolphins or Pirates would have been a bit more fitting, and a lot more tangible.

I maintain that in any other era bar the 90s, there is no chance we'd have used the Power nickname. It never resonated strongly with the supporter base and IMO the weak branding actively contributed to our identity crisis.

What attributed to our identity crisis was not wearing our jumper in the afl at the very least whilst having a separate Magpies entity in the sanfl, not playing at Alberton, and then reinforcing the confusion by locking our history in the closet. Directors Hobby and Howie, Mark and Jenny Williams and Hitaaf Rasheed convinced the club that our survival depended on moving away from the "black and white Magpies' stigma" and getting out of the Alberton post code. The club had campaigns of teal and jumper competitions, of which our own Bucky was in on it when telling us that teal was the club's most popular colour. This had already began prior to James arriving and continued until the board had changed.

It wouldn't have mattered what nickname we had. They were listening to the outsiders whinges instead of catering to its own.

More smoke and mirrors from an administration bereft of ideas of how to actually be successful. Stop pandering to their misdirection.

We need to stick with Power. Changing looks like we are having an identity crisis. The Power is strong. Pirates is lame and pirates are **** people. Really over people trying to change us all the time. What other club does this. It looks so weak.

You can rest easy, we’re not changing the mascot. It sounds like we’ll have a different logo next year and that could lead into a permanent change but the Power brand will stay regardless.

People are just debating hypotheticals and havin a laf.

My wild guess of what the new logo may contain is:
- a monogram of letters but not quite the bland PA nor the very busy looking old monogram used in the 50s, something in between.
- some kind of reference to the warf pylons and harbour.
- a Magpie could be in it but if it is then it won't appear on the player's jumper, just elsewhere.
- all the colours we've donned as a club if they intend to only use it for the 150th year otherwise mainly black/white with some silver/teal if they intend to use the logo beyond 2020 based upon supporter response.

You can rest easy, we’re not changing the mascot. It sounds like we’ll have a different logo next year and that could lead into a permanent change but the Power brand will stay regardless.

People are just debating hypotheticals and havin a laf.
I'm referring more to Port supporters on this forum. Just find it so annoying.

I just can't agree with this at all.

I certainly don't see how using Pirates pushes us any further away from our history than Power does. Are you arguing that Pirates is a stronger brand than Power, so it might have resonated better therefore pushing the Port Adelaide stuff even further into the background than it was in the John James era?

Part of the reason i'm a big fan of the Pirates idea is because I think it ties into the maritime theme that we have never properly tapped into in our branding. I think that certainly would have kept us in the postcode more strongly than an abstract 90s concept like Power. The perfect branding for our AFL entry would have been one that incorporated the history and location pretty well. Power basically ignored it. Dolphins or Pirates would have been a bit more fitting, and a lot more tangible.

I maintain that in any other era bar the 90s, there is no chance we'd have used the Power nickname. It never resonated strongly with the supporter base and IMO the weak branding actively contributed to our identity crisis.

From a branding perspective...

Power is neutral, Pirates is not.
Power is abstract, Pirates is not..
Power is flexible, Pirates is not.

I'd dispute this: "It never resonated strongly with the supporter base"
It may not have resonated with you, but the fact is we transitioned almost all SANFL PAFC supporters to the new team with the Power moniker.

I'll also reiterate, my assertion is that it was the implementation of the identity in the first ten years that created the divide, not the nickname.

Since we've locked into a solid and strong guernsey design (much like Freo did) and 'reunified' the two brands with the One Club merger, our branding issues come down to two things: losing more than winning and being dictated to about the right to wear our PBs.

If we win the PB battle for the long term (ie being able to wear it when we choose) and begin to increase our winning % then no-one, not even you, will be calling for a 'pirate' brand.

uf0nhQz.png

This is probably the best I ever came up with, retaining the rectangle shape of our logo but turning it into a more conventional shield, scrapping the confused lightning fist for just a bolt, and focusing on PORT against a white label as opposed to Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd dispute this: "It never resonated strongly with the supporter base"
It may not have resonated with you, but the fact is we transitioned almost all SANFL PAFC supporters to the new team with the Power moniker.

There’s a distinction between “because of” and “in spite of” that probably applies here. Unless the new branding was extremely objectionable I don’t think people would ditch their own club because of it, especially in arguably their finest hour i.e. ascension to the top league.

There’s a distinction between “because of” and “in spite of” that probably applies here. Unless the new branding was extremely objectionable I don’t think people would ditch their own club because of it, especially in arguably their finest hour i.e. ascension to the top league.

Sounds like you’re saying it didn’t matter.

In that case, why are we talking about Pirates?

uf0nhQz.png

This is probably the best I ever came up with, retaining the rectangle shape of our logo but turning it into a more conventional shield, scrapping the confused lightning fist for just a bolt, and focusing on PORT against a white label as opposed to Power.

I really like this shape and I like the large PORT at the top. Any chance you could knock up the same thing but instead of a lightning bolt, have prison bars and chevrons underneath?

Sounds like you’re saying it didn’t matter.

In that case, why are we talking about Pirates?

No I’m challenging your assertion that people sticking with their club = they loved the new brand. It discounts other pretty obvious reasons why they would do so and the possibility that they could’ve been more satisfied with something else.

Also I’m sure you’d agree that the function of a brand goes well beyond preaching to the converted.

I don't mind the Power moniker. But please, either sack Jarrod Walsh, or tell the Essendon supporting idiot to refer to us as Port Adelaide/Port fans, not "Power fans", like he does. This is one thing that really ******* bugs me.
Football doesn't need a fking idiot clown revving us up like it's the basketball.
He's probably a good bloke, but having someone carry on like that at the game is quite off-putting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back