Prediction New Club Logo

Remove this Banner Ad

The point being is that this image, among others, along with news clippings, and interviews with key people, formed part of the initial research into the club done for the branding for the AFL team.

Ergo: The genesis of the nickname came from our club's historical record.

F2446B21-DB58-4E18-A828-69C471BBEB4B.png

I'm still scratching my head about last weeks banner - at least its not a curtain - huh?
The Crows have a re-usable banner with a slit down it for the players to run through.
A poor diss.

Looking at the bottom of the banner.
Our nick name could have been the "Dominators".

Our women's team would then be the "Dominatrix".
(The their mascot would have been interesting.)

I reckon “Destroyers” is pretty good, as in the warships. Maritime themed, sounds pretty hard, we destroyed the SANFL etc.

Yes?

It's well documented that the Pirates, along the Sharks were two of the options being considered, which is what that caricature was about.

That doesn't mean that 'Pirates' where ever part of the PAFC historical archive. There may well be a reference but I haven't seen it.

I'm still scratching my head about last weeks banner - at least its not a curtain - huh?

The people involved with the banners are an odd bunch, to say the least.

Yes?

It's well documented that the Pirates, along the Sharks were two of the options being considered, which is what that caricature was about.

That doesn't mean that 'Pirates' where ever part of the PAFC historical archive. There may well be a reference but I haven't seen it.

Huh? It has as much relevance as the news headlines you mentioned.

Huh? It has as much relevance as the news headlines you mentioned.

It's an article about the proposed branding. I'm not sure what is so hard to grasp that this would not have been part of the research, it would have been AFTER the research was done.

I still remember the feeling of disappointment as an 11 year old when after all the buzz about being the Pirates, they came out with 'Port Power'.

Pirates was fish in a barrel stuff, but we'd appointed branding consultants so they had to prove their 'worth' and as is often the case they overthought everything and came up with an inferior option.

As others have noted, if Power and teal were the best options, then their merits and the alternatives wouldn't have been debated every off season for 20 years!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...the feeling of disappointment as an 11 year old when after all the buzz about being the Pirates...

Not everyone is an 11yo boy.

Pirates was fish in a barrel stuff, but we'd appointed branding consultants so they had to prove their 'worth' and as is often the case they overthought everything and came up with an inferior option.

Yet, here you are still following the club 25 years later.
Can't have been too bad a solution.

As others have noted, if Power and teal were the best options, then their merits and the alternatives wouldn't have been debated every off season for 20 years!

Anything other than Black & White Prison Bars would have been debated.
We didn't have that option.

Not everyone is an 11yo boy.

Yet, here you are still following the club 25 years later.
Can't have been too bad a solution.

Anything other than Black & White Prison Bars would have been debated.
We didn't have that option.

11 year olds (+/- 3 years) are a pretty important demographic though in terms of growing the supporter base in the long term as this is the age bracket people not directly influenced by family will generally pick a team.

What was the other option? I'm not going to change from the team my family have supported for generations because they chose a largely bland moniker.

Maybe, maybe not. I doubt the other options would have been debated to the extent this has. The PBs was always going to linger.

Some people love the Power and teal, that's fine. I personally don't and think there were better options available.

Yes?

Just razzin’ ya boober.

11 year olds (+/- 3 years) are a pretty important demographic though in terms of growing the supporter base in the long term as this is the age bracket people not directly influenced by family will generally pick a team.

The most crucial market at that point was the 25-35yo. Young kids were important, but not as important.

I'm not going to change from the team my family have supported for generations because they chose a largely bland moniker.

The facts are: we transitioned a vast majority of Port supporters over to the new team with the new brand. That is an indisputable fact.

Maybe, maybe not. I doubt the other options would have been debated to the extent this has. The PBs was always going to linger.

Precisely.

Some people love the Power and teal, that's fine. I personally don't and think there were better options available.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that, yes, there were other options, but none were objectively 'better' because none of them involved Black and White PBs. Anything other than that and it was always going to disappoint some portion of the supporter base.

I should add that I say this as someone who, as a 26yo in 1995, and as a supporter of the club since before I was an "11yo boy", was underwhelmed by the whole launch.

It had a lot more to do with the weird Americanised tone of the 'new' team, than it did the Power nickname.

We weren't the only ones who misstepped by the way, check out some of the early stuff from Fremantle and Brisbane Bears and the god awful alt guernsey's by West Coast.

Also while we’re on the topic does anyone actually know what the deal with this thing is?

Club prototype pre-1990 bid? Another newspaper invention? Fan art? Faux retro merchandise fodder?

Whatever it is I think it rocks but it would be good to know the source.

View attachment 676289

Judging by the definition of the image, my guess is that it's faux retro merch.

Isn't that what LeaugeTees do?

The Crows have a re-usable banner with a slit down it for the players to run through.
A poor diss.

Not only was it a poor diss, it was owning our own team. By saying 'at least this is a banner, and not a curtain' meant they were saying 'We don't have anything great to say about our team except the fact that they get to run through this awesome banner we made.'

Are the cheer squad still offended about the co-captains thing? ******* get over it, FFS. It's done now. Support the ******* team.

My assertion is that we wouldn't even be here if we were the Port Adelaide Pirates as that would have distanced us further from the identity that ultimately saved us.

I just can't agree with this at all.

I certainly don't see how using Pirates pushes us any further away from our history than Power does. Are you arguing that Pirates is a stronger brand than Power, so it might have resonated better therefore pushing the Port Adelaide stuff even further into the background than it was in the John James era?

Part of the reason i'm a big fan of the Pirates idea is because I think it ties into the maritime theme that we have never properly tapped into in our branding. I think that certainly would have kept us in the postcode more strongly than an abstract 90s concept like Power. The perfect branding for our AFL entry would have been one that incorporated the history and location pretty well. Power basically ignored it. Dolphins or Pirates would have been a bit more fitting, and a lot more tangible.

I maintain that in any other era bar the 90s, there is no chance we'd have used the Power nickname. It never resonated strongly with the supporter base and IMO the weak branding actively contributed to our identity crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back