NFL 2017 - A 'down' year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Scanlens Man

Senior List
Aug 10, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
There's been some dull games this year, with the exception of Deshaun Watson's sensational start, and the odd classic game (e.g. Kansas City v Oakland), I'm finding the general standard of play is sub-par.

I don't have any stats to back it up, observation only - I watch about 3 or 4 full games and another 3 or 4 'condensed' on Gamepass each week, plus highlights of the rest.

A few defences have stepped up, o-lines across the league seem to be struggling, and I can't remember a time when there's been as many journeyman, rookies, not-good-enoughs, injured or ageing/declining QBs around the league at one time.

I need a pep talk, obviously.

This year's been great

Lots of spooky teams
and some really good games/moments. its just that the majority of the primetime games have been letdowns.
i thought the Raiders/KC game had a flat spot in the middle, but the first Q and the last 10 mins were great.

Im surprised they didnt Flex nextweeks Pats/Broncos game out for Rams/Texans or even Saints/Bills

Too many teams with lots of flaws. I think a cull of teams to 24 would greatly benefit the gameplay, though it would never happen. This season appears to be better than last season imo, but that may just be because the "primetime" games (only games i really watch outside the seahawks) have had better match ups generally this season.

More evenness across the teams, more holes across each of the better ones. Hasn’t helped that quite a few stars have missed through injury.

But still plenty to like. The rise of young stars like Goff and Wentz, Watson’s been great to watch. Kareem Hunt, Gurley.

Defences have bridged the gap on offences, lower scores means its time to change the rules....gee whats next...DBs can’t get within 5 yards of a WR until he catches the ball!

The one rule they might have to look at is either you can hit QBs, or you can't.
That might need it's own thread.

There's been some dull games this year, with the exception of Deshaun Watson's sensational start, and the odd classic game (e.g. Kansas City v Oakland), I'm finding the general standard of play is sub-par.

I don't have any stats to back it up, observation only - I watch about 3 or 4 full games and another 3 or 4 'condensed' on Gamepass each week, plus highlights of the rest.

A few defences have stepped up, o-lines across the league seem to be struggling, and I can't remember a time when there's been as many journeyman, rookies, not-good-enoughs, injured or ageing/declining QBs around the league at one time.

I need a pep talk, obviously.

I can see where you're coming from but I wouldn't think it's correct to label the season of parity dull. Sure, some real superstars are missing to injury/ IR but it's also exciting to see teams like Detroit emerging (can't believe they're $4 to win the NFCN) and how about the surprise packet LA Rams? Second year QB's Goff & Wentz are having great seasons. The Steelers are humming along just nicely ..holding onto #1 seed atm.. and will only get better into the stretch.. great SB odds of $8 if you wanna get on now.

Saints D has improved meaning they're pressing in the NFCS and how about the tussle between the Jags and Titans in the AFCS?
Someone has to bob up now that Texans have lost Watson. Bills also giving the 2017 a shot in the arm. KC looked special early but not lately. For mine, one week of NFL in any given week is equivalent to three weeks of AFL... so much more action and things to marvel at.

Im surprised they didnt Flex nextweeks Pats/Broncos game out for Rams/Texans or even Saints/Bills

Flexing usually takes place from weeks 11-17.

IF you did cull to 24 which 8 teams would you remove?
Raiders
Chargers
Rams
Titans
Cardinals
Colts
Chiefs
Washington

They're the last 8 teams to relocate
If they have no loyalty to the fans
Then the league should have no loyalty to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF you did cull to 24 which 8 teams would you remove?
Jaguars
Chargers
Buccaneers
Texans (Titans go back to HOU)
Browns (Ravens go back to CLE)
Panthers
Falcons

Don't have a thing against many of these teams but it would make the league more traditional which would be cool

Struggling to think of an 8th, maybe the Lions but they have a long history

Get rid of teams from same city

Jets
Rams (Oakland to LA)
Chargers (Oakland to LA)

Then teams in same states
Jags
Bucs
Texans
Browns
Eagles

Why? New York is big enough to support 3 teams (Bills). Ohio, Florida, Texas can support 2-3.

Never effected quality of the competition before.

Why? New York is big enough to support 3 teams (Bills). Ohio, Florida, Texas can support 2-3.

Never effected quality of the competition before.
New York might be big enough to support 3
But is New Jersey big enough to support 2 ;)

Ah never mind, I can't even format a *ingg sentence
We know who you think

Detroit
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Carolina
Atlanta

And just because you're spiteful, New England.

Killing 8 teams is a moronic idea.

Buffalo isn't exactly close to New York City. Though yes you wouldn't give Buffalo a team if you started the NFL today. And Green Bay would be Milwaukee.

Killing 8 teams is a moronic idea.

Buffalo isn't exactly close to New York City. Though yes you wouldn't give Buffalo a team if you started the NFL today. And Green Bay would be Milwaukee.
Clean slate
Where would you go

Id go west vs east structure like nba/NFL on clean slate

Pacific Division
1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. San Francisco
4. Los Angeles

Mountain Division
1. Las Vegas
2. Pheonix
3. Denver