NFL NFL Stadiums Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Metro San Antonio is much bigger than Austin. Plus Austin has a high university population of students that stay 3-4 years before moving on whereas the SA population is permanent.

Having said that Austin is going through a tech boom in a similar vein to San Fran/Silicon valley

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Yeah I meant San Antonio is the next best market. Having Austin's market so close added to the appeal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sacramento, St Louis and Portland are the 3 biggest media markets without an NFL franchise. SD and Salt Lake City are also bigger than San Antonio.

EDIT: Orlando and Raleigh/Durham are also in there, but I'd imagine that they are more basketball towns

Its too close to Tuscaloosa (and probably Atlanta too), but the Birmingham media market is apparently bigger than New Orleans'

Obviously media markets aren't everything, but I'm pretty sure they are a factor in deciding where teams could go

I think they were a bigger factor 10-15 years ago when the internet wasn't as prominent. Small markets these days have shown they can still be financial powerhouses because of.the ability to globalize the brand via the internet.

The Raiders are moving from one of.the largest media markets to a small one in Vegas, yet they're going to be much more well off there.

Like GG said, the best solution would be for San Diego to get a new stadium and to house the Chargers. LA really is a two team city but unless those teams are the Rams and Raiders, it's not gonna work.

Yeah I meant San Antonio is the next best market. Having Austin's market so close added to the appeal.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
100% agree

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

The owner’s greed has resulted in NFL getting in bed with gambling and with intro of sports betting and allowing a team in Vegas.

As soon as it was announced that Raiders were moving there the NFL changed their rules to allow officials to visit the place.

Players will now visit more regularly etc, it’s inevitable that there will be betting scandals, there already has been with Cards’ Josh Shaw suspended for a year for betting on games.

Can’t blame Davis for accepting, virtually handed a billion dollars free, how could any owner resist. I really hope it’s a massive failure

The owner’s greed has resulted in NFL getting in bed with gambling and with intro of sports betting and allowing a team in Vegas.

As soon as it was announced that Raiders were moving there the NFL changed their rules to allow officials to visit the place.

Players will now visit more regularly etc, it’s inevitable that there will be betting scandals, there already has been with Cards’ Josh Shaw suspended for a year for betting on games.

Can’t blame Davis for accepting, virtually handed a billion dollars free, how could any owner resist. I really hope it’s a massive failure
You do know you don't need to be in Vegas to gamble on sports. And with sports betting now becoming legal in about 50% of states a large chuck of teams fall in to the Raiders situation in Vegas.

Although there’s some good markets around there’s not very many realistic options. They take away too much.

Orlando was mentioned earlier. Huge market yes. But Florida is the Gold Coast of America. Retired expats.unless you’re the Tampa bay buccaneers going to Orlando is just canibalising Florida too much.

Someone mentioned Alabama. You can draw a line right down Alabama between falcon and saints fans. Georgia is big enough to hold off a franchise in Alabama, but the saints could be hit hard. Having said that. With the nfls revenue sharing it might actually be beneficial if as a NEW franchise. Relocation? No.

Salt Lake City is stupidity at its finest. Utah and southern Idaho is the last place the nfl should go. Too many mormons against sports on Sunday. You could make it viable for the regular season by doing double headers on Monday. But come playoffs you’re ***ed

Portland is a very good suggestion

San Diego/st Louis would be nice too.

And I wouldn’t be opposed to planting a team in Oklahoma/Nebraska/Iowa. I’d like southern Nebraska but I can’t find anywhere sustainable there. So maybe okc is the only choice. (Omaha is probably too far away from the Oklahoma base you want)

I feel a perfect 32 team league would be something like this (note, im ignoring any and all history.)

Seattle
Portland
Los Angeles
Las Vegas
San Francisco
San Diego
Phoenix
Denver
Kansas City
Dallas
Houston
New Orleans
Oklahoma City
Atlanta
Miami
Tampa Bay
Nashville or Memphis
St. Louis
Chicago
Milwaukee
Minneapolis
Indianapolis
Detroit
Charlotte or Raleigh
Washington DC
Baltimore
Philadelphia
New York
Boston
Pittsburgh
New York #2 or buffalo
Cleveland or cincinnati

So basically my changes are
Out
Los Angeles #2
Green Bay
New York #2/buffalo
Jacksonville
Cleveland/cincinnati

In
San Diego
Milwaukee
Oklahoma City
St. Louis
Portland

I do feel we need San Antonio in there, but it’s hard. Everywhere else west of the Mississippi has good coverage. And everywhere east I feel is either more deserving, or you’re running an area too thin.

You do know you don't need to be in Vegas to gamble on sports. And with sports betting now becoming legal in about 50% of states a large chuck of teams fall in to the Raiders situation in Vegas.

Yet Shaw was in Vegas. Could have been in NJ. What else is there to do in Vegas? Interesting too they say that more people work on Sundays per capita than any other city. Maybe they can play more Thursday games.

Yet Shaw was in Vegas. Could have been in NJ. What else is there to do in Vegas? Interesting too they say that more people work on Sundays per capita than any other city. Maybe they can play more Thursday games.
That’s a good point
Tourist population would be the highest % in America
I always liked Vegas due to the atmosphere and bringing in money from travelling fans.
But how will the locals go. They have to work in hospitality/retail to appease these tourists.

That’s a good point
Tourist population would be the highest % in America
I always liked Vegas due to the atmosphere and bringing in money from travelling fans.
But how will the locals go. They have to work in hospitality/retail to appease these tourists.

This was an initial concern of mine but there is a huge section of the population who don't work in hospitality in Vegas. Additionally, given the close proximity to LA, the Raiders have been able to tap into that market.

Vegas has had no problems selling out T-Mobile for the hockey, and they're having no problems selling out Allegiant Stadium for the football. The Raiders have sold PSLs to the value of 400 million more than what their projections were at the time they got approval for relocation. It's going to be a resounding success.

Are there any stadiums around the league at the moment whose lease is soon to expire?
Information correct as of 2017

2018 - Oakland Raiders
2023 - Buffalo Bills
2025 - New Orleans Saints
2026 - New England Patriots, Cincinnati Bengals
2027 - Baltimore Ravens, Tennessee Titans
2028 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2029 - Cleveland Browns
2030 - Jacksonville Jaguars
2031 - Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers
2032 - New York Jets, Houston Texans, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles
2033 - Chicago Bears
2034 - Indianapolis Colts
2036 - Arizona Cardinals
2037 - Detroit Lions
2039 - Dallas Cowboys
2046 - Minnesota Vikings
2047 - Atlanta Falcons
2049 - Los Angeles Chargers

No lease -
Miami Dolphins (owned by team owner)
Washington ******** (no lease as long as stadium is used for recreation (ie. sport))
Los Angeles Rams (owned by team owner)
San Francisco (my source says n/a here but reading between the lines, the answer could be 2054)
Carolina Panthers (I think it’s owned by the team?)

This was an initial concern of mine but there is a huge section of the population who don't work in hospitality in Vegas. Additionally, given the close proximity to LA, the Raiders have been able to tap into that market.

Vegas has had no problems selling out T-Mobile for the hockey, and they're having no problems selling out Allegiant Stadium for the football. The Raiders have sold PSLs to the value of 400 million more than what their projections were at the time they got approval for relocation. It's going to be a resounding success.
Very true.
I wonder if anyone other than the raiders could pull it off.
I could envision anyone else just getting a situation which we see in la atm with the chargers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Information correct as of 2017

2018 - Oakland Raiders
2023 - Buffalo Bills
2025 - New Orleans Saints
2026 - New England Patriots, Cincinnati Bengals
2027 - Baltimore Ravens, Tennessee Titans
2028 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
2029 - Cleveland Browns
2030 - Jacksonville Jaguars
2031 - Pittsburgh Steelers, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, Green Bay Packers
2032 - New York Jets, Houston Texans, New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles
2033 - Chicago Bears
2034 - Indianapolis Colts
2036 - Arizona Cardinals
2037 - Detroit Lions
2039 - Dallas Cowboys
2046 - Minnesota Vikings
2047 - Atlanta Falcons
2049 - Los Angeles Chargers

No lease -
Miami Dolphins (owned by team owner)
Washington ******** (no lease as long as stadium is used for recreation (ie. sport))
Los Angeles Rams (owned by team owner)
San Francisco (my source says n/a here but reading between the lines, the answer could be 2054)
Carolina Panthers (I think it’s owned by the team?)
very interesting, thanks for that.
looks like we wont see a relocation then in our lifetime :p
chargers might if they're allowed to get out of that lease,, but otherwise all the soonest expiring ones are entrenched i would think

You can draw a line right down Alabama between falcon and saints fans. Georgia is big enough to hold off a franchise in Alabama, but the saints could be hit hard.
Yeah nah. Alabama is almost all saints territory:

7A67284A-78B6-4C0B-B572-110F92353107.jpeg

And as far being “hit hard”, laughable. Saints fan base is far stronger than Atlanta’s. It’s almost chargers-like the way that the falcon’s stadium is constantly filled with opposition fans.

Very true.
I wonder if anyone other than the raiders could pull it off.
I could envision anyone else just getting a situation which we see in la atm with the chargers.

Yeah I think you're right there. The Raiders have a unique brand whereby fans from all over California have travelled to Oakland for decades to see them. Now that they're in Vegas it's arguably closer for many of their fan base, which has resulted in easy ticket sales.

The situation the Chargers are in is a mess. I really won't he surprised if they move to london in the next 10 years.

Yeah I think you're right there. The Raiders have a unique brand whereby fans from all over California have travelled to Oakland for decades to see them. Now that they're in Vegas it's arguably closer for many of their fan base, which has resulted in easy ticket sales.

The situation the Chargers are in is a mess. I really won't he surprised if they move to london in the next 10 years.
I cant see Kroenke letting the Chargers out of the lease
Too selfish.

very interesting, thanks for that.
looks like we wont see a relocation then in our lifetime :p
chargers might if they're allowed to get out of that lease,, but otherwise all the soonest expiring ones are entrenched i would think

I think we'll see a lot of teams in the next 10 years with their hands out for billion dollar babies (new stadiums) and they all won't be satisfied. Could be a very unsettling period.

Yeah nah. Alabama is almost all saints territory:

View attachment 798924

And as far being “hit hard”, laughable. Saints fan base is far stronger than Atlanta’s. It’s almost chargers-like the way that the falcon’s stadium is constantly filled with opposition fans.

I remember when this map had Hawaii as majority Panthers fans in 2015.....what a bunch of bandwagoners. 👎

I cant see Kroenke letting the Chargers out of the lease
Too selfish.

He never wanted the Chargers there to begin with. And he doesn't want them now. The Chargers promised him a certain amount of dough in terms of PSL sales and they've come in a couple hundred million short of those estimates. He's privately fuming with them. Wants them gone before even playing a game there.

Panthers adding bunker suites at Bank of America Stadium
Posted by Mike Florio on January 24, 2020, 4:28 PM EST

Starting in 2020, fans with appropriate resources and interest in using them will get a below-ground-floor look at “the process” in Charlotte.
Via WCNC.com, roughly 900 seats will be removed from the west end zone at Bank of America Stadium to accommodate the installation of 14 bunker suites. The suites will hold up to 12 persons each, with premium-level amenities — and, undoubtedly, premium-level pricing.
The eliminated seats will affect 400 PSL accounts, with alternative arrangements made for the PSL holders at no additional PSL cost.
It’s another tangible example of owner David Tepper’s vision for making the franchise more financially viable, taking full advantage of potential revenue streams that have been untapped or underutilized.
Besides, with new coach Matt Rhule getting between $8 million and $9 million per year, that extra revenue may come in handy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back