AFLW NMFC AFLW [Season 2022]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the addition of 3 new teams aren't we expecting the talent pool to thin even more so. nice to say replenish, but from where?
Luckily we have exclusive access to Tasmania (assuming they’re don’t nom the Vic pool which they rarely do)

Claire ransom would be a top 10 pick but we get to take her with whatever pick we want

There are a few other decent tassie girls that we can take also

I’d expect maybe first pick on best Vic then next 2-3 on tassie players

Turnover will be low this year due to diluted pool

Maybe delist Gibson, retire duffin
Trade hardiman and 1 more

Hard to point the finger on what needs changing but it's been said before.....there's too many good players in this team to be performing this way.

Not enough synergy in the team and too much reliance on individuals to do the heavy lifting.

Well done on making the finals again.

I’d keep oloughlin and Bateman as they’re young
I’d look at getting rid of the bad kicks in the backline as well.
Need a fitness coach as well - it’s the mens side under bard where we can’t go with them on rebound.
Ashmore needs a position change (hbf)- goes missing to often
Agree on Bruton being to small for middle - maybe put her on the wing
Forward line is to flat footed and lazy or dumb.
Just because they are young, doesn't mean they are worth keeping. O'Loughlin and Bateman are slow, reactive players who are too similar and too easy to defend out of the game. With the new teams coming in next season delisting/trading both may not be ideal, so if we had to keep one I'd select Bateman, but we need someone with speed and can create up forward to compliment Randall, who improved over the course of the season, and Bannister who looks dangerous whenever she is near the ball.

I don't mind the backline, I thought it was very solid this season, until today. Brown, Ferguson, Kearney and Wright performed very well and were forming into a very solid unit. I don't think we used Gilroy to her strength's, she looked her best last season when she was attacking the player and the ball, running through the middle and bombing it deep into the forward 50, this season we hardly saw it at all.

And despite the new clubs coming in I'm happy to see players Hardiman, Gavalas and Abbatangelo traded if one of the new clubs will take them, perhaps we can use a few extra picks to rejuvenate the list a little.

I may or may not be at the pub all the girls have rocked up at and may or may not have heard one of the girls are going to essendon for 2 years?

Just watched the replay.

We’re miles off it. Reinforced what I got out of the Brisbane game.

We can generally break even around the contest but we’re completely outmatched at either end when anything resembling one on one footy breaks out.

It would be far quicker for me to list the players who I think can help us win a flag than list the players I think should be shown the door.

I love all our players and everyone agrees Crocks is a great guy, but next to Freo (and Brisbane, and to a lesser extent Crows and Melbourne) we have looked slow and relatively unfit, without the space and time to execute our skills properly as we have done against lower teams. In the big games our only hope is to scrap and keep it tight and try to finish on the right side of a close one, and while it’s great when it comes off, it is not sustainable. We can’t keep putting basically the same side out with the same coaching and expect different results.

Because it’s not like AFLM and the draft is completely manipulated, plus the new teams are coming in, we can’t scorch the earth and target top end young players. I’m not sure what our path to improvement is.

I think the four problem sides are Crows, Demons, Brisbane and Fremantle, they have midfields we have struggled with. I like Bruton, Riddell, Ashmore and Kearney (when she played in the middle) but not many of the midfield group play good games against the better opposition.

If you look at our best votes according to the AFL site, the votes for the 10 H&A + Final
Riddell 11
Garner, Kearney 9
Bruton 6
M.King 5
E.King 4
Ashmore, Brown 3
Bannister 2
Ferguson, Gavalas, Abbatangelo and Eddy 1

Best vs Crows: Riddell, Gavalas, Kearney, Garner
Best vs Freo: Garner, Riddell, Kearney, Bruton, M.King
Best vs Demons: Riddell, Garner, Bruton, M.King
Best vs Lions: Riddell, Garner, Bruton, M.King
Best vs Freo(final): Riddell, Kearney, Garner, Bruton, E.King

Perhaps we are just far too reliant on too few and that is exposed against the better sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, so there was a small stall in the basketball court area but it was just a white tent. There wasn't a sign that made it clear what it was, nothing on clear display in terms of what was available to buy and so on. It was just a lack of effort and coordination, and tbh, it's completely unacceptable for a small club to do that in what is a big day at their home ground. Just completely inexcusable.

So just to be clear, you are confirming that there was merchandise in a stall under a tent on the basketball court but because there was no sign, you were not sure that it was a merchandise stall. And you didn't ask anyone.

To avoid disappointment, I can tell you that if you manage to get to Marvel Stadium next week for our home game, there will most likely be a merchandise stall both inside and outside the stadium (on the concourse outside gate 5) but you won't find any signs around the stadium precinct pointing you towards either stall.

Think our AFLW program needs a review and possibly re-set.

The size of the defeats in the crunch games this time around has been astonishing, all in the face of a narrative around how much last year's finals capitulation to Collingwood was spurring them on... a very underwhelming end to albeit (another) promising season but things need to be looked at.

Shades of the 2009 team after capitulating to Sydney in an elimination final in 2008 which was supposedly spurring them on. Except that we were nowhere near finals in 2009 and that cost Laidley the coaching job.

Seriously though, that game was a disappointmentalooza. As someone mentioned, another 'almost' season.

Like many posters, I'd love to see a thorough overhaul of the Forward line. It simply cannot stay in its current form. It's taking us nowhere. Bateman hasn't come on this year like I thought she would, but I would keep her around. She lacks any genuine leg speed but there's a footballer there. Daria likewise is a keeper. O'Laughlin, not so much. Feel like that game was Abba's waterloo and she was Napoleon. (Or Anni-Frid. One of the two.) Happy to see her moved on. The Randall Experiment has been more success than failure but someone needs to buy her the 'Nick Larkey's Learn To Kick Straight At Goal' DVD for Christmas. We also need to capitalise on the ground ball opportunities that her and King provide on the regular. Opposition small Backs dine out against us. That has to change. If we don't manage to bring in the requisite talent, I'd even try Bruton and/or Bresnahan as smarter, more skillful, and (slightly) zippier Forwards. Don't want to strip the Midfield, but that burst-from-the-pack goal by Mia King the other week is exactly the kind of Forward movement around stoppages that we lack.

Seriously though, that game was a disappointmentalooza. As someone mentioned, another 'almost' season.

Like many posters, I'd love to see a thorough overhaul of the Forward line. It simply cannot stay in its current form. It's taking us nowhere. Bateman hasn't come on this year like I thought she would, but I would keep her around. She lacks any genuine leg speed but there's a footballer there. Daria likewise is a keeper. O'Laughlin, not so much. Feel like that game was Abba's waterloo and she was Napoleon. (Or Anni-Frid. One of the two.) Happy to see her moved on. The Randall Experiment has been more success than failure but someone needs to buy her the 'Nick Larkey's Learn To Kick Straight At Goal' DVD for Christmas. We also need to capitalise on the ground ball opportunities that her and King provide on the regular. Opposition small Backs dine out against us. That has to change. If we don't manage to bring in the requisite talent, I'd even try Bruton and/or Bresnahan as smarter, more skillful, and (slightly) zippier Forwards. Don't want to strip the Midfield, but that burst-from-the-pack goal by Mia King the other week is exactly the kind of Forward movement around stoppages that we lack.

We need speed around the fall of the ball and a proper forward structure. Randall provides a foundation for that, King helps but its what else happens that is the problem.

Freo moved the ball faster, had an open forward line and that hurt but even with a slow build up you can create space on a forward line if the forward line is in motion. Swapping Bruton and Bresnahan thru the forward line is a great idea imo.

But the work needs to be done on the training track, working out how to move in the forward line and keeping up fitness levels. Everything else worked well. A bit more speed would help too. But we could have the fastest players in the comp and it wouldn't matter if the forward structure isn't developed more effectively.

Its a problem for both senior teams so this off season/men's season is a real opportunity for the women's side to work on developing that structure.

So just to be clear, you are confirming that there was merchandise in a stall under a tent on the basketball court but because there was no sign, you were not sure that it was a merchandise stall. And you didn't ask anyone.

To avoid disappointment, I can tell you that if you manage to get to Marvel Stadium next week for our home game, there will most likely be a merchandise stall both inside and outside the stadium (on the concourse outside gate 5) but you won't find any signs around the stadium precinct pointing you towards either stall.
No, I'm sayign that I don't know if it was a merchandise tent because nothing was clearly marked and nothing was clearly on display implying it was merch. It's seriously so easy to make a sign that says "Merchandise" in big letters and also clearly display what is available to buy. Or it's so easy to have a visible sign that says "Roo Shop Inside" and then print out A4 paper ffs with directions at every turn.

We're a small club, so everything should be directed towards the fan experience every time they go to Arden St. Which i think should be doubly obvious for a big final played at the ground.

The food situation was also a joke and I overheard a lot of people complaining about the lines there. This stuff, for a big final at our home ground, is unacceptable. This is not just an excuse to have a crack at the club. This is stuff that is seriously important for engagement and making fans/members feel welcome and valued.

Liek I work for a pretty big online retailer and we talk so much about the user experience when they go to the site, and this is a company that has billions in sales. For a smaller organisation, it's even more important. there's no excuse for it.

Things that Grace Campbell is good at:

- Hitting opponents hard while infringing in the process

Things that Grace Campbell is not good at:

- Football

It’s funny how someone was always wanting Smith out for Campbell.

I don’t know how anyone could have watched this season and thought that Campbell had a better year than Smith or was more deserving of a spot.

What is Garner’s ideal position?
If we could find a big bodied midfielder of a similar size to a Hatchard or McKenzie or Davey I would say CHF.

Unfortunately she is that big bodied midfielder so probably about 70% Midfield, 30% CHF.

First of all:

Second: This thread needs a pinned post at the top of each page to help some of you poor forgetful souls. Should say something like... "Scott Gowans coached against three genuine contenders in total (Adelaide & Fremantle in 2019, Melbourne in 2020) and lost every time." And yes, those matches basically unfolded the same way as our losses to those same clubs this year.

Third, it has been scientifically proven: Bec Goddard minus Erin Phillips = hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back