Opinion NMFC Board Cricket ThreadII - Windies, Big Bash, Pakistan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is rain likely to be a factor? Whats the latest weather forecast?

Hope so... Because if England get to even something like for 5-200, I think that's the game (unless rain hits).

We haven't shown anything to suggest we can chase down 300 in the 4th innings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I enjoy bagging "moral" victories and all of that, but I would rather watch us batting like England do.
They're too iffy. Given the crowd behavior and the reaction of the media from both end's I'd try and hold on for a draw and accept a series win and retaining the ashes. At least that way we can shut them up and point to the scoreboard. We've got too many hit or miss (stupid) batsmen to run 377 down.

I enjoy bagging "moral" victories and all of that, but I would rather watch us batting like England do.
Also bowling like England has in tests 3-5.

England could have taken this series if they had selected this bowling attack and played with this intelliigence from the start. The imperfect application of the approach in the first two tests (between poor declaration timing, needlessly inventive fields and foolhardy batting) and the inability of Robinson and Anderson to intimidate the Australian batsmen kept the door open and Australia snuck through for two narrow wins that will deny England the series and the Ashes they clearly are good enough to have won. Losing Lyon certainly hurt, but this result is self-inflicted.

The very likely result of 2-2 flatters Australia but is fair given that they played better in key moments and managed the team better when the pressure was highest, at the start of the series.

They're too iffy. Given the crowd behavior and the reaction of the media from both end's I'd try and hold on for a draw and accept a series win and retaining the ashes. At least that way we can shut them up and point to the scoreboard. We've got too many hit or miss (stupid) batsmen to run 377 down.
Agree about this for this Test, but more generally the English approach puts the the pressure back on the bowling side and is also more entertaining for us supporters.

Agree about this for this Test, but more generally the English approach puts the the pressure back on the bowling side and is also more entertaining for us supporters.
I think the Australian batting has been ordinary for about 15 years. How many times over the years have the bowlers saved the day. I know you're talking only this test, but it's been an ongoing issue for some time. On a side note, for all of the s**t that Ian Chappell has hung on Steve Waugh, he's what they're screaming out for right now - a batsman with a bit of ticker.

I think the Australian batting has been ordinary for about 15 years. How many times over the years have the bowlers saved the day. I know you're talking only this test, but it's been an ongoing issue for some time. On a side note, for all of the s**t that Ian Chappell has hung on Steve Waugh, he's what they're screaming out for right now - a batsman with a bit of ticker.
15 years? Didn’t rate Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Katich, Voges, Khawaja, Warner, Smith, Hayden…

15 years? Didn’t rate Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Katich, Voges, Khawaja, Warner, Smith, Hayden…
When the heat was on, I rated Ponting and Hayden, maybe Khawaja, we'll find out. But overall, I think when a bit of pressure is applied our batsmen struggle. Say it again, how many times have the bowlers got them out of a shitty situation? They don't lack talent, they lack mental strength, the ability to hang in for the long haul. Once in a blue moon doesn't cut it for test cricket. I left out Hussey because of his shockingly nasal commentary voice.

Last edited:
A 2-2 result will sting the Poms more which is certainly the funniest result. We definitely lose the ashes without the rain. But we'll retain for at least 3 more years since they aren't going to be competitive in Australia anytime soon.

They are notably older on avg and I read their participation rates in Cricket have decreased signifigantly on the grass roots level. Dunno what their depth is like but could be dark times ahead for the Poms.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back