Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I am a lifelong Dogs supporter and member but also am a Melbourne Storm member.
Just found out today that the Melbourne Storm preliminary final is being held on Saturday 25th at 7:50 pm.
Seriously, how can 2 major sporting codes not come to some kind of arrangement with regards TV broadcast timings given that is the only way fans can actually watch it now.
Will be going crazy watching 2 TVs at the one time (and probably drinking twice as much)

Start time has been changed to 4pm Sat arvo

So in 2016 the Cubs won the World Series. In 2021 the Cubs are currently 65-79 and 24 games behind the Milwaukee Brewers in fourth place in the National League Central. Hmm... at least one of my teams hasn't let me down this year. :bulldogs: :p

I still do not have accommodation organised for when I have to move out of my place. I have to be out by Dec 11, just in time for Christmas. I'm hoping to look at a rental retirement village in Melton and one in Pascoe Vale next week that accept small pets.

Looks like I will have to sell/give away/ throw away most of what I own to fit into a one bedroom unit. After I get organised, I'll offer most of my Bulldogs/Cubs/Bulls stuff to people on here. I dread even thinking of the work I will have to do in the next six weeks if I physically can. Such is life, I guess. Getting old is no joy.

I still do not have accommodation organised for when I have to move out of my place. I have to be out by Dec 11, just in time for Christmas. I'm hoping to look at a rental retirement village in Melton and one in Pascoe Vale next week that accept small pets.

Looks like I will have to sell/give away/ throw away most of what I own to fit into a one bedroom unit. After I get organised, I'll offer most of my Bulldogs/Cubs/Bulls stuff to people on here. I dread even thinking of the work I will have to do in the next six weeks if I physically can. Such is life, I guess. Getting old is no joy.
Hope things work out for you

What a great idea! You can sign the petition by clicking on the link (I hope it works)

1635220284341.png

Trucks keep crashing into the Napier Street Bridge. About $2,000,000 in ’safety improvements’ has failed to stop the trucks crashing again and again. They keep doing it. The local reporter has to keep writing about it.
More than 70 crashes in the last decade. It could happen today. It did happen today: http://www.starweekly.com.au/news/footscray-bridge-strike-tally-heads-past-70/
It’s time to make the bridge too scary for trucks to crash into. I will paint it myself if need be.
It might not stop the trucks crashing, but it will look like the shark ate the truck and that’s at least something.
Interesting facts:
Slamming a 42-tonne overheight truck into this bridge at 50km/hr: $793 fine, zero demerit points.
Painting shark teeth on this bridge without permission: up to $38,057 fine and 2 years in prison.
Don’t be shy. Sign below. Let us know why you signed.

For any NBA fans here - can anyone recommend the best place (preferable in Aus) to get a current and official Patty Mills jersey? Google is not being super helpful with this.

What a great idea! You can sign the petition by clicking on the link (I hope it works)

View attachment 1268056

Trucks keep crashing into the Napier Street Bridge. About $2,000,000 in ’safety improvements’ has failed to stop the trucks crashing again and again. They keep doing it. The local reporter has to keep writing about it.
More than 70 crashes in the last decade. It could happen today. It did happen today: http://www.starweekly.com.au/news/footscray-bridge-strike-tally-heads-past-70/
It’s time to make the bridge too scary for trucks to crash into. I will paint it myself if need be.
It might not stop the trucks crashing, but it will look like the shark ate the truck and that’s at least something.
Interesting facts:
Slamming a 42-tonne overheight truck into this bridge at 50km/hr: $793 fine, zero demerit points.
Painting shark teeth on this bridge without permission: up to $38,057 fine and 2 years in prison.
Don’t be shy. Sign below. Let us know why you signed.

Considering the impact of heavy vehicles crashing into both the Napier and Montague Street bridges, I don't know why the penalties are not way more severe.

Every time the Werribee and Williamstown rail line is shut down for hours, it affects thousands of commuters.

For any NBA fans here - can anyone recommend the best place (preferable in Aus) to get a current and official Patty Mills jersey? Google is not being super helpful with this.

They may not be for sale yet but I’d keep an eye on Basketball Jersey World, Throwback Store and/or Kickz 101

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw there were posts in the general/all clubs threads, but I really think it deserved one here (apologies if someone did).

And watch the short video - great part of Footscray's history.

There was nothing more enticing on a cold wet afternoon, after a stressful day's work in the CBD and getting off the train at Footscray to smell Nick's delicious donuts - "one can't hurt" you thought to yourself....you bought half a dozen ("I'll take the rest home") and 4 downed donuts later....comfort, bliss and a sense of satisfied guilt.

Vale Nick. And thank you. Another valued and lost character from the West that we love.

OLYMPIC NICK: A DONUTUMENTARY

Tributes follow passing of Footscray Olympic Doughnuts icon Nick Tsiligiris
23/10/2021

https://pinterest.com/pin/create/bu...tscray+Olympic+Doughnuts+icon+Nick+Tsiligiris

Nick Tsiligiris has passed away, aged 86

Tributes are pouring in for Footscray icon Nick Tsiligiris, who passed away on Thursday, aged 86.

Mr Tsiligiris was a cherished member of the community and a familiar face as the proprietor of the Olympic Doughnuts van at Footscray Station for almost 40 years.

Daughter Gina Hasapis said her father was a wonderful man and a great father, grandfather brother, uncle, godfather, friend and confidante.

“He made a lasting impression on all who knew and met him,” she said in a statement.

“The world is certainly sadder and poorer without him in it. His passing is already being felt and mourned by those who knew and loved him.

“But his legacy and memories of his smile, cheekiness and doughnuts will live on in all of us.”

The Footscray icon’s hot jam doughnuts were long regarded as among Australia’s best, tempting locals and visitors alike at Footscray railway station from humble beginnings in 1979 until the day he retired in 2017.

His doughnuts, jam-dispensing dolphin and colourful life were immortalised in 2015 when filmmakers Ian Tran and Rachel Morssink created the short film Olympic Nick: A Donutumentary, awarded ‘best film’ at Melbourne’s 23rd Greek Film Festival.

Online tributes to Nick have remembered a “wonderful man” who brought joy to people’s lives and whose memory will always be treasured.

I spent at least two hours on the phone today speaking to people from mygov.com and Centrelink to correct an error so I can apply for the pension online. I have to ring again tomorrow so hopefully someone can answer questions about my migrant/permanent resident visa. One of the women I talked to today didn't have a clue. She even wrote down the wrong email address and didn't complete my middle name on the form. I don't know if I have enough patience to deal with them again.

I also found out when I was in hospital that I have to find someplace else to live by the end of the year. My friend is selling the main house and my bungalow. I'm getting help to find accommodation but it's not easy. This has not been a good year for me.
A few updates:

Got a phone call this afternoon from Centrelink that my pension will probably be approved on Monday. I completed all the forms online and finally had to contact Home Affairs today to get proof of my visa residency.

It also looks like I'll be moving into a retirement village in Melton at the end of the month. I applied yesterday. I'll be able to rent a small unit and I can keep Zsa Zsa. I will have to get rid of most of my possessions since there is really no room for them. I'm going through stuff now. I'm hoping to sell some stuff on Facebook Marketplace. A friend put a never opened Sony Walkman on for me that someone bought. Didn't even know I had it! I've gone through some Bulldogs stuff and will decide what to do with it. It's hard getting rid of memories from almost fifty years.

I have never lived so far from a city's centre as Melton is from the CBD. OMG I'm going to be a country boy!

A few updates:

Got a phone call this afternoon from Centrelink that my pension will probably be approved on Monday. I completed all the forms online and finally had to contact Home Affairs today to get proof of my visa residency.

It also looks like I'll be moving into a retirement village in Melton at the end of the month. I applied yesterday. I'll be able to rent a small unit and I can keep Zsa Zsa. I will have to get rid of most of my possessions since there is really no room for them. I'm going through stuff now. I'm hoping to sell some stuff on Facebook Marketplace. A friend put a never opened Sony Walkman on for me that someone bought. Didn't even know I had it! I've gone through some Bulldogs stuff and will decide what to do with it. It's hard getting rid of memories from almost fifty years.

I have never lived so far from a city's centre as Melton is from the CBD. OMG I'm going to be a country boy!

Good luck Chicago 1. Sounds like you will have plenty of care around you, and, who knows, there might be a few rusted on Bulldogs supporters to share your experiences with. Great that Zsa Zsa can be with you.

Will they allow Happy Meals?

Good luck Chicago 1. Sounds like you will have plenty of care around you, and, who knows, there might be a few rusted on Bulldogs supporters to share your experiences with. Great that Zsa Zsa can be with you.

Will they allow Happy Meals?
I made sure that my usual Lucky Meal delivery services are available there. Priorities

Last edited:
Another Ashes in Australia and another insipid performance by England. It is no longer surprising and thoroughly predictable.
I arrived here from the UK in 1990, and 2010/11 aside, they have been awful in Australia. The worst thing is the hope.

I remember painting a bathroom in 2010 on a Saturday, listening to the radio as Cook and Trott batted pretty much all day as England scored 517 for 1. Almost made up for everything.

Predicted this, England have 2 good batsmen, you aussies bowl very very well. Don't see England passing 400 in an innings all series.

Decks are tailored so much to favour the home sides around the world that the only wins that have any real merit are the ones one overseas.

Cricket is boring now and sucks big red balls.

I arrived here from the UK in 1990, and 2010/11 aside, they have been awful in Australia. The worst thing is the hope.

I remember painting a bathroom in 2010 on a Saturday, listening to the radio as Cook and Trott batted pretty much all day as England scored 517 for 1. Almost made up for everything.

Predicted this, England have 2 good batsmen, you aussies bowl very very well. Don't see England passing 400 in an innings all series.

It’s only been a contest in the UK for all those years except 2010/11. Such a non-event in Australia. Versus India here is a much more even contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back