Non-AFL chat thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Eh, it's locked.

Milo, yes, I think you are right. I haven't made up my mind about Shapiro, being American, it's hard to seperate Americanism from whacky. I'm more curious as to the identity of AFL players who are devotees of Petersen. Restricting myself to our club, I reckon they'd be

Wood, Wallis, Smith, Vandermeer, Naughton and McRae.

Rate my selection, honestly now, out of 6. If there are those I've left out, let me know. Don't worry about privacy, I won't tell anyone.
The defining moment for Shapiro was this:

He tries to present himself as some clever, fast talking intellectual, but in reality he rarely has any substance to his arguments. Completely embarrassed himself here

He tries to present himself as some clever, fast talking intellectual, but in reality he rarely has any substance to his arguments. Completely embarrassed himself here

I'll have a look at that, VD, but Andrew Neil is a smart cookine. When he compered Question Time on the BBC (must watching on youtube Saturday mornings), he had to deal with all sorts, Rees-Mogg on one side and Corbyn on t'other then chuck in the whacky soc dems. He made Tony Jones look like a schoolboy.

I'll have a look at that, VD, but Andrew Neil is a smart cookine. When he compered Question Time on the BBC (must watching on youtube Saturday mornings), he had to deal with all sorts, Rees-Mogg on one side and Corbyn on t'other then chuck in the whacky soc dems. He made Tony Jones look like a schoolboy.
Oh that's exactly it though - Andrew Neil is a very well known, intelligent conservative. Hilarious how Shapiro speaks to him, actually had me laughing out loud at his stupidity

Up to the 36 second mark, Shapiro handled himself well, as we would judge it. He then slipped into the American religious-right rhetoric, got defensive and took Neil's question as personal criticism, he must have been watching Penny Wong on Q&A. You are right (so's he, did you like that ?) though, he was made to look silly.

It's interesting, you and I look to watch the same sort of stuff on youtube, different conclusions.

Andrew Neil is awesome. I don’t always agree with him but he presents information and opinion so very well.

Andrew Neil is awesome. I don’t always agree with him but he presents information and opinion so very well.

I've only ever seen Neil as a Moderator (Recommended viewing for Mutt & Co, is that too impertinent ?). I don't distil a view from anything I've seen, he used to test Conservatives as much as the Labour Party bods. I thought him impartial.

You, too ? Brit politics is much more fun than ours.

Up to the 36 second mark, Shapiro handled himself well, as we would judge it. He then slipped into the American religious-right rhetoric, got defensive and took Neil's question as personal criticism, he must have been watching Penny Wong on Q&A. You are right (so's he, did you like that ?) though, he was made to look silly.

It's interesting, you and I look to watch the same sort of stuff on youtube, different conclusions.

There are a few of us on here that watch very similar things on YouTube and read similar articles. Many of us are centrists or conservatives.... but we all get to different conclusions. Why? Because we have brains (that occasionally work).

I've only ever seen Neil as a Moderator (Recommended viewing for Mutt & Co, is that too impertinent ?). I don't distil a view from anything I've seen, he used to test Conservatives as much as the Labour Party bods. I thought him impartial.

I've always seen him as a conservative, but not one who gets blinded by ideology. The perfect host, really. Shows you can have a political opinion while remaining impartial when you need to be.

Shows the divide between him, and these new age so called "conservatives" like Shapiro. Can't take that idiot seriously when he raves on about logic and facts, yet his stance on abortion is purely based on the stance of his religion. Not much logic in that

There are a few of us on here that watch very similar things on YouTube and read similar articles. Many of us are centrists or conservatives.... but we all get to different conclusions. Why? Because we have brains (that occasionally work).
Ah, LittleG, I think you are pulling my leg all the way down Bourke Street, you a conservative ?

I lived in UK & US. My UK ancestory wife lived in US (but she was born in Asia).
We keep up with lots of what happens around the world. Too much at the moment.... I need to do some more programming but too tired tonight to concentrate.

Their Brexit is just as mad as Trumpism. Similar dodgy logic.
The EU needs reforms that would have delivered a lot of what the Brexiteers promised (& can’t deliver). I had hoped the UK would have led the charge with Germany/Lowlands but instead they p’ed off.

I've always seen him as a conservative, but not one who gets blinded by ideology. The perfect host, really. Shows you can have a political opinion while remaining impartial when you need to be.

Shows the divide between him, and these new age so called "conservatives" like Shapiro. Can't take that idiot seriously when he raves on about logic and facts, yet his stance on abortion is purely based on the stance of his religion. Not much logic in that

Neil could be a raving facist for all I know. Shapiro is a Conservative as we don't know in Aus. Our equivalents, say, Bolt and Kenny are measured rather than hysterical. America's different.

e

Neil could be a raving facist for all I know. Shapiro is a Conservative as we don't know in Aus. Our equivalents, say, Bolt and Kenny are measured rather than hysterical. America's different.

e
I struggle to consider Bolt "measured" unfortunately. Conspiracy theorist, pedophile apologist, sexist, homophobe, etc. But not measured

Ah, LittleG, I think you are pulling my leg all the way down Bourke Street, you a conservative ?

I am probably more a centrist these days. I dislike both sides A LOT!!!! I always thought of myself as conservative.... I value competence and that is in short supply everywhere. My family has a long history of conservatism, parliamentarians or state secretaries, etc. Although sometimes a bit too extreme for my liking....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lived in UK & US. My UK ancestory wife lived in US (but she was born in Asia).
We keep up with lots of what happens around the world. Too much at the moment.... I need to do some more programming but too tired tonight to concentrate.

Their Brexit is just as mad as Trumpism. Similar dodgy logic.
The EU needs reforms that would have delivered a lot of what the Brexiteers promised (& can’t deliver). I had hoped the UK would have led the charge with Germany/Lowlands but instead they p’ed off.

I'd probably be a Brexiteer if I was English (as distinct from British). Youtube Fintan O'Toole's take on Brexit. I'd never thought of it as an English determination. Worth the watch. I've just taken a watsapp communication from a mate of mine living in the Borders, Scot side. Victoria is a haven compared with Britain.
#

I struggle to consider Bolt "measured" unfortunately. Conspiracy theorist, pedophile apologist, sexist, homophobe, etc. But not measured
"measured" meaning he doesn't rant, rave and confront as Shapiro did in your video. A couple of touchy areas I'd prefer to avoid. Those aside, he presents a position, even I don't always agree with it, and pursues a line which is different from mainstream press. Nothing wrong with challenging a belief. The pity is that I haven't been able to pick up Question Time, now hosted by Fiona Bruce, on Saturday mornings for a while, now.

All I get from the last few pages is that Neonationalism makes countries go something something.

Nothing wrong with a neologism so I'm O K with Neonationalism. something x 2 is more challenging. Insofar as anything I've posted is concerned, wide eyed astonishment, you are probably right about the rest, though. Care to expand ?

Nothing wrong with a neologism so I'm O K with Neonationalism. something x 2 is more challenging. Insofar as anything I've posted is concerned, wide eyed astonishment, you are probably right about the rest, though. Care to expand ?

The main problem I find with the media is that over the last ten years or so it has become factional with the narrative being that one media presenter or organisation is seen as having to be either right or left and often are attacked for which side of the fence that others think they are on. Just like society has become the same little problem of right or left and no the center apparently doesn't exist.

As for my expanding on my neonationalism comment there are a lot of instances in the last decade or so of nationalism together with isolationalism, xenophobia, factionalism and economic collapses. It has happened before many times together in recorded history and never really ended well. Of course a lot of what I said about the media plays to this and can be seen as mirror as to what is happening world wide at this point.

The main problem I find with the media is that over the last ten years or so it has become factional with the narrative being that one media presenter or organisation is seen as having to be either right or left and often are attacked for which side of the fence that others think they are on. Just like society has become the same little problem of right or left and no the center apparently doesn't exist.

As for my expanding on my neonationalism comment there are a lot of instances in the last decade or so of nationalism together with isolationalism, xenophobia, factionalism and economic collapses. It has happened before many times together in recorded history and never really ended well. Of course a lot of what I said about the media plays to this and can be seen as mirror as to what is happening world wide at this point.
I see what you are getting at, I think. When Trump was elected, 2016, I was concerned about what I took to be isolationist sentiment. It didn't happen, all for domestic consumption. I agree that politics have become polarised, binary. We focus on the West and ignore what's happening in the rest of the World, mostly distasteful, by our standards. I'm certain this pandemic is going to lead to changes in the way we organise our lives. Perhaps the trends you identify won't continue.

I see what you are getting at, I think. When Trump was elected, 2016, I was concerned about what I took to be isolationist sentiment. It didn't happen, all for domestic consumption. I agree that politics have become polarised, binary. We focus on the West and ignore what's happening in the rest of the World, mostly distasteful, by our standards. I'm certain this pandemic is going to lead to changes in the way we organise our lives. Perhaps the trends you identify won't continue.

Unfortunately the economic situation after the pandemic has ended is in a bad state which is what causes these things to progress so I think the trend will increase somewhat. That is why the government sunk all that cash into regional defense we are losing trust in the States for defense and leadership and are deeply worried about the expansion of Nationalist Authoritarian Regimes in the Asia Pacific.

Trump is bad for everyone who is in partnership with the States don't get me wrong but he is far from the biggest threat to world order going around. He hasn't got the supreme power other much more intelligent leaders that play him like a fiddle have.

Oh and thank God they are upgrading some of our anti-hacker defenses I imagine the review into the old system was something like this:

View attachment 905777

One of my friends works in cyber security. He told me a story from 4 years ago. It took a junior programmer under 24 seconds to hack into one of the big 4 banks. Less than 30 minutes to break into all big 4 banks and under an hour to break into the government systems.
Things have got much better since then but there is a long way to go.

One of my friends works in cyber security. He told me a story from 4 years ago. It took a junior programmer under 24 seconds to hack into one of the big 4 banks. Less than 30 minutes to break into all big 4 banks and under an hour to break into the government systems.
Things have got much better since then but there is a long way to go.
Considering how widespread the last cyber attack was I don't think things are too much better than that. Could have crippled us completely with that one of they wanted to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back