No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Just curious who people tipped for Brisbane vs Pies?

I’m feeling crazy but I went with the Pies.

Although I do reserve the right to tell you all what a genius I am if they do win.
Genius.

If you've never been to a game at the GABBA before, Lions are absolutely feral. Will boo everything that doesn't go their way
Don’t remind me. Last (and I do mean last) time I went I had this huge bald bloke sitting right in front of me and every time the Lions kicked a goal, ie every few minutes he leapt up yelling then would turn around and stare gleefully at the little bunch of quiet Dogs supporters in my row. Needless to say we lost 🙁

Thoughts on that HTB on Zorko? Harsh on the little w***er I thought.
Correct decision. He had time, made a choice. Just didn’t see Elliot flying in from behind.

Besides, it was Zorko. So if there had been any doubt …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny old game, I didn’t find either side overly impressive tbh. The votes will be interesting…Neale had one great quarter, three meh quarters. Naicos got plenty of the ball but was avoiding any sort of contest & didn’t use it as well as he usually does.
My prediction:
3 votes…L Neale & N Daicos
2 votes…L Neale & N Daicos
1 vote…for this game only there is a bonus 5 votes to the single vote getters…L Neale & N Daicos.

Brisbane probably rally, as do the pies. They’ve played Carlton/Freo (away)/Pies and GWS (away)/Sydney/Saints/Lions (away) respectively. There’s a decent chance all of those teams are finalists.

But I’d agree that both teams looked average. Lions butchered the ball in the forward half and kicking for goal, which is unusual for them, but when they don’t move the ball well/quickly they look bog average in all lines. Pies played better but still flaky.

You never know how the fixture is going to play out. Our first ten games looked great, but wouldn’t it have been better to play one or both of these teams early? They’ll probably be purring on all cylinders by the time we rock up to play them.

Anyway, always good to see Brisbane lose. Enjoy being 0-3 Josh 👍

Q. What was the big difference between Bulldogs Rd 1 and Rd 2? And Collingwood Rd 2 & Rd 3?

A. Pressure. Huge improvement in their respective defensive games. Result: huge turnaround in form.

It has become just about the most significant variable (and the most variable of them) from week to week. It’s not like ball skills or set shots which are more ingrained from years of junior footy and even muscle memory. I reckon the level of defensive effort is mostly a mental thing. It’s about application and motivation. Maybe a collective mentality too. And it’s probably the first thing in a game that tells you “gee they’re ON today” (or they’re not on 🙁) in the first 10 minutes of the match.

Bottle that desire and ferocity and you could almost guarantee a finals place every year. But it’s not easy for a coach to keep them fired up for all 25 games a year. If Bevo did last week’s pre-match rant about pressure every week they’d soon get bored and switch off.

I wonder how much weight draft recruiters give to the willingness of juniors to apply manic pressure week after week?

Having high defensive pressure would be one of the main reasons why players like Gallagher and Artie get games before expected. And continue to get games even with modest disposal stats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back