Opinion Non-Crows AFL 6: This Is Getting Cruel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, maybe they should standardise and soccer is called football because the foot is used to kick the ball the majority of the time.

Rugby can be called tackleball cos that's what they do most. Gridiron can be called throwball cos there's always a guy throwing it to someone. Aussie Rules can be called limbball cos both hands and feet are used to dispose of the ball. Golf is stickball, of course.
It just took some logic and commonsense 😁

The same Wikipedia that called Mathew Leckie the Father of Denmark?

Or the same Wikipedia that said Mitchell Duke was raised in the outback by kangaroos and would often fight them, especially over a tasty sausage on the bbq. He has one son named Tunisia.

Maybe I will skip that and live a happy life without referencing a crowd edited website as fact.

Yes, it's a crowd edited website. You seem very sure you are right, so you should do the world a favor and delete those references that everyone else wrongly put in

American football is gridiron, it’s a fact.
If the term "Grid iron" is used at all in America, it'd be referring to the field.

If you absolutely must apply the name to a type of football. It would be least inaccurate to use it to refer to a family of sports including American Football, Canadian Football (related to American Football, but as different as Rugby League is to union) , various spin-offs, etc. Rather than American Football specifically

Yes, it's a crowd edited website. You seem very sure you are right, so you should do the world a favor and delete those references that everyone else wrongly put in

Why? So the next jabroni can come in and put some other bullhsit that gets corrected.

I think I read on there that someone suggested people in America call it "gridiron"...

Why? So the next jabroni can come in and put some other bullhsit that gets corrected.

I think I read on there that someone suggested people in America call it "gridiron"...
Some obviously do. They may be in a minority, and they may not include anyone you know personally, but some do. It's nowhere near as black & white as you're trying to make it out.

Because you are claiming to be the authority on the name. You have definitively said in this thread that no one calls it gridiron and that anyone that calls it that is wrong. You've corrected many people on this based on your experience.

And yet a user generated source of information has claimed otherwise since the page was created in 2001. So surely this is a pretty egregious error? The wider internet has gotten this wrong for 21 years and no one has thought to edit it out!

And just to be clear, no one here has claimed that the only name for the sport is gridiron. It's just one of many names, and of course most people in the US call it simply football or NFL. But claiming that it's absolutely not called gridiron and no one has ever called it that and those that have are wrong is... certainly a take

Last edited:
I guess we will have to disagree.

But - you walk into a major city in America and ask who someones favorite gridiron team is - 9/10 aren't going to have any idea what the F*ck you are talking about.
My favorite gridiron team is the Cleveland Browns

The only people I know of who couldn’t tell you what gridiron is are Pittspuke Squeeler fans, who much like Port backers don’t have a lot going on upstairs

;)

Well, maybe they should standardise and soccer is called football because the foot is used to kick the ball the majority of the time.

Rugby can be called tackleball cos that's what they do most. Gridiron can be called throwball cos there's always a guy throwing it to someone. Aussie Rules can be called limbball cos both hands and feet are used to dispose of the ball. Golf is stickball, of course.

Where does Olive Ball fit in?

My favorite gridiron team is the Cleveland Browns

The only people I know of who couldn’t tell you what gridiron is are Pittspuke Squeeler fans, who much like Port backers don’t have a lot going on upstairs

;)
You're a master baiter 😝

In any event, Mister Ditka seems to know...

Screenshot_20221206-162333_Chrome.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's cute you're spending time scouring google desperately trying to discredit a person's life experience in the US. If you read my post, I commented that I've rarely if ever heard it called gridiron in over 20 years of living in the US. Unless you're omnipresent, how would you know that's not the case?

I’m discrediting the relevance you seem to think your alleged experience holds

I lived in the USA for a decade in the 2000s. Never heard an American call it gridiron, only football or NFL. I always assumed it was a foreigner thing.

Earlier in the thread I posted a Reddit link with Americans discussing it. Gridiron was mentioned, but quite a few posters didn't know the term existed, fwiw.

You barely know what AFL is ;)

This is 1000% bullshit! And gotta know it. Its a big world out there and ain't now way your highly recruited Div 1 athlete has even heard the word gridiron.

Nobody and I mean nobody in the USA calls NFL - Gridiron. Its the exact reason that all of your references are obscure. Random blogs looking for a name and settling on a nickname for the field.

Nobody in California calls it Gridiron.

It’s hard to know what you’re even arguing now.

Those are the weakest links ever!

A movie thats 18 years old that nobody has ever heard of and an Australian EBAY link that differentiates NFL from other codes by having a product listing under "gridiron".

As weak as your MLB is falling behind soccer or as weak as the game isn’t called Gridiron one’s?

An actual NFL general manager called his book gridiron genius, and you still want to dig in on what the game actually is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back