Opinion Non-Crows AFL 9

Which team will finish the 2024 season higher ranked?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

For those counting at home Russell Ebert was the 32nd Legend elevated

Jason Dunstall is the 32nd Legend elevated

This has occurred because Barry Cable has been removed from the Legends HOF and so numbers have moved

They really don’t. They show a guy who never won, teams couldn’t win with. A lot of reductive, counting metrics for the individual

And what you miss, is his teams didn’t win because of him; how he played

that style of black hole full forward, was a liability. It was all about the individual and not the team.

When did you ever see him chase? Not once.

This is my point, only 1 of those guys played a complete, team oriented style of game.

Unsurprisingly their teams were a lot more successful

And I think you will find if they had a stat for goal assists back then Dunstall would have significantly more.

Yeah, any team would be better off without a champion like Plugger lol. He had no impact at Sydney either...

You keep going with that theory as it's hilarious...

Lockett was a champion as was Dunstall. Trying to talk one down over the other is crazy.
100% agree.

Here you go, for game set and match.

Highly relevant to note in 93 and 94 at St Kilda he only played 10 games in each season due to injuries and suspension.

Careful someone is trying to rewrite history here. :think:

While Lockett's accomplishments and statistics support his status as an Australian football hero, his individual influence on St. Kilda and Sydney is also noteworthy. He arrived at St Kilda when the club was in the doldrums and became the man on whose shoulders the club's fortunes depended. Similarly, when he moved to Sydney in 1995, the Swans were struggling both on and off the field; they had finished bottom of the ladder in 1994 and were battling to stay relevant in the heart of rugby league territory. After kicking more than 100 goals three times in four seasons and famously booting a point to send Sydney into the 1996 AFL Grand Final, Lockett helped to ensure Australian rules football would have a lasting future in the Harbour City.

This has occurred because Barry Cable has been removed from the Legends HOF and so numbers have moved
I read your first two sentences multiple times for it to make sense, before your last cleared it up 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean that doesn't make sense?

Surely technically Dunstall is the 33rd person elevated to the HoF, it's just that at the time of his elevation he became the 32nd legend in HoF - Cable was still elevated at one point, that he later had his membership stripped doesn't change that?

I mean that doesn't make sense?

Surely technically Dunstall is the 33rd person elevated to the HoF, it's just that at the time of his elevation he became the 32nd legend in HoF - Cable was still elevated at one point, that he later had his membership stripped doesn't change that?
Glad you agree

Charlie gets off at the tribunal after multiple character references (unsure what they have to do with sling tackles or concussion).
Lemmens gets 4 weeks.

Crouch gets 1 week, Butters nothing.

Getting a strong Kozi Pickett vs Shane McAdam early 2023 vibe to the consistency of some of these decisions again.

Charlie gets off at the tribunal after multiple character references (unsure what they have to do with sling tackles or concussion).
Lemmens gets 4 weeks.

Getting a strong Kozi Pickett vs Shane McAdam early 2023 vibe to the consistency of some of these decisions again.
Does feel like they start with the result, then work backwards

Lemmens gets 4 weeks.

Wasn't lemmens in the VFL?

Lemmens gets 4 weeks.

I do agree with King that the AFL should appeal the Butters one. The reason is that if your goal is to make the head sacrosanct you need to be as consistent as possible. Alright I will acknowledge Butters may have been going for the ball a bit more than Crouch. But butters was far more reckless and based on his inertia, basic physics tells you he gave little to no s**t what was in his way and even if he picked up the football he still would have hurt his opponent. This is why it makes no sense. Christian is the same guy who said he'd have suspended David Mackay in the game against St Kilda when he got the ball first but his opponent ran into him head first. Both are suspendable incidents and Butters actions were far more dangerous to the head and he dived on the ball.

I do agree with King that the AFL should appeal the Butters one. The reason is that if your goal is to make the head sacrosanct you need to be as consistent as possible. Alright I will acknowledge Butters may have been going for the ball a bit more than Crouch. But butters was far more reckless and based on his inertia, basic physics tells you he gave little to no s**t what was in his way and even if he picked up the football he still would have hurt his opponent. This is why it makes no sense. Christian is the same guy who said he'd have suspended David Mackay in the game against St Kilda when he got the ball first but his opponent ran into him head first. Both are suspendable incidents and Butters actions were far more dangerous to the head and he dived on the ball.

Yeah but given their biggest sponsorship group are betting agencies and they want an open as possible field around the Brownlow...

And I think you will find if they had a stat for goal assists back then Dunstall would have significantly more.

And that’s the point. He played the sort of team first, bring everyone into the game forward play that is essential now

He’d chase and pass it off. That was unique back then.

I remember clearly the day against Richmond when he had a chance to line up for his 18th and instead he passed it off to a teammate in better position

100% agree.

Here you go, for game set and match.

Highly relevant to note in 93 and 94 at St Kilda he only played 10 games in each season due to injuries and suspension.

Careful someone is trying to rewrite history here. :think:

While Lockett's accomplishments and statistics support his status as an Australian football hero, his individual influence on St. Kilda and Sydney is also noteworthy. He arrived at St Kilda when the club was in the doldrums and became the man on whose shoulders the club's fortunes depended. Similarly, when he moved to Sydney in 1995, the Swans were struggling both on and off the field; they had finished bottom of the ladder in 1994 and were battling to stay relevant in the heart of rugby league territory. After kicking more than 100 goals three times in four seasons and famously booting a point to send Sydney into the 1996 AFL Grand Final, Lockett helped to ensure Australian rules football would have a lasting future in the Harbour City.

No mention of St Kilda’s record after he left? 🤣🤣🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back