Oppo Camp Non-Eagles Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the big deterrents to mature players is exactly that. Once a player is 21+ and playing in a state league they generally have a career underway, potentially a wife and kids they are supporting.

They aren't going to uproot all that for a 40k rookie contract, which has a very high likelihood in ending after 12 months. They might if a club offers 100k and locks it in for a number of years.

We are always talking about a lack of talent in the AFL so I don't see why this hasn't been addressed.
Makes perfect sense.
All it does is make the league better.

Here is the problem, auskick numbers are great and kids play footy like they always did until they are about 14-16. The issue now is that the dropout of playing footy is higher than ever in history.
We have got to a point where if the player thinks they are not going to play AFL then they give it away.

The AFL have created a mess where they have sold to their public that only the top level matters and under that you are a nobody. All the steps to get there are ignored and all the levels below AFL are not being encouraged to pursue.

That our young people are no longer happy to become 200 game WAFL players or 200 game A grade Amatuer players means these clubs and footy underneath the AFL are going to get weaker and weaker and with less and less teams.

So while the AFL will prosper footy at all levels underneath it are dying a slow death. Go and have a look how many under 17 sides their are in WA and you will be stunned just how few their are. Finding 16 year olds who want to play footy is vary rare.
This is why the state of the WAFL right now is such a problem. there is almost zero incentive for anyone to want to be a long term WAFL player.

its beautiful teh lurd of teh rings GIF

Here is the problem, auskick numbers are great and kids play footy like they always did until they are about 14-16. The issue now is that the dropout of playing footy is higher than ever in history.

In my experience ‘drop out’ rate in 14-16 age bracket is not just confined to AFL.

7 day a week trading, lower salaries employing teenagers give incentive to earning a few $ and kids who don’t display elite skills often start chasing the $ over sport.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Way off topic but since Simpson isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

1995 we go to 16 team comp. Population 18 million on dot.
2011/12 we go to 18 team comp, population is 22.5 million. 12.5% increase of comp size, on back of 25% population increase.
Still an 18 team comp in 2024 and population is just shy of 27 million, now a 50% population increase on 1995.

Not sure what the story is here, are there less 18 year olds than in 1995? Less 18 year olds playing sport? Less 18 year olds playing football?

Doesn't seem ideal. Bloody kids these days eh, we'll hit 50 million one day and they'll be saying we need to go back to a 12 team comp. And they'll probably be right.

Alternatively, maybe try invest some money back into the game. Have larger squads so if you get a few injuries you can still do match sim. Have more development coaches and professional staff around the clubs. Have better feeder comps. Don't destroy all the top 10 talent by sending crazy numbers of them to s**t clubs where they have no chance of ever developing properly. Pay the umpires a living wage so they don't have to take bribes from the AFL or Sportsbet to rig games or whatever they are doing now. etc etc. Seems like just the AFL are s**t at running a professional comp more than it is access to young and willing bodies. We need to be a 20-24 club comp to ever reach some degree of fairness in fixturing. If we had a 24 club comp today it'd be a 33% increase on clubs during a period of 50% pop increase. Dunno, seems doable at first glance but maybe the AFL being run better doesn't cut deeply enough into the embarrassing health of western youth.
The artificially inflated population growth is due to massive numbers of migrants, and due to the unsustainably high level it currently sits many of them won't assimilate let alone follow and play AFL.

In my experience ‘drop out’ rate in 14-16 age bracket is not just confined to AFL.

7 day a week trading, lower salaries employing teenagers give incentive to earning a few $ and kids who don’t display elite skills often start chasing the $ over sport.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, we have the same at my cricket club. Juniors go off to district clubs as teenagers, the majority don't make it and then stop playing entirely.

Tom Morris
@tommorris32
·
4m

You don’t hear of it much anymore, but I understand there is a concern De Goey battling osteitis pubis. If so, it takes more than one week to fully recover from OP.

Not ideal for them... But makes next week a lot easier.
Nah, they'll just park him in the goal square...

I don't know what the solution is to get Juniors to stay playing longer, once upon a time the WAFL clubs invested heavily in their junior areas which gave the young guys a goal of where they wanted to play, But now as all the money is at the AFL level the WAFL clubs do very little in their zones. They simply don't have the staff or the funding to do it.
Bigger list sizes and a national reserves comp will be probably the worst thing that can happen to football as a whole, good for AFL clubs but pretty much a nightmare for all other leagues under it.

I am more of a smaller list size advocate and that the players who are on AFL lists who don't play AFL are playing meaningful football in the second tier level against well paid semi pro footballers.

But the pathway seems set, the AFL will just be there on its' own and everything underneath will become insignificant except the under 21's and they will also struggle because once not drafted a player will just say there is nothing in football for them to aspire to now.

I don't think it's a great outlook, AFL seems fine but after that I am very concerned for the sport.

The issue is the WAFC waste so much money on themselves and shite.

The WAFL salary cap should be doubled, Wafl clubs should get a much larger distribution and each club needs about 500k a year to put into their zones for visits, talent identification etc.

A lot of the younger footballers, even ones who makes colts etc and would at 23-24 become good WAFL league players prefer to go to uni and play country footy for more money.

Even of those who don't naturally drop out I think at least half the available talent that could be playing in the WAFL isn't.

Players dropping off in their teens/early 20s also comes down to injuries and concussions. I personally know people that have given it up because its just not worth getting an injury and not being able to work. Its not an issue for AFL players as they get paid anyway.

The issue is the WAFC waste so much money on themselves and shite.

The WAFL salary cap should be doubled, Wafl clubs should get a much larger distribution and each club needs about 500k a year to put into their zones for visits, talent identification etc.

A lot of the younger footballers, even ones who makes colts etc and would at 23-24 become good WAFL league players prefer to go to uni and play country footy for more money.

Even of those who don't naturally drop out I think at least half the available talent that could be playing in the WAFL isn't.

My Nephew did it just last year, played WAFL colts and State Under 18's, didn't get drafted and is now playing in the SWFL for huge money. The system is simply wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a great piece by Brayshaw but the reality is the fans don’t give a toss about the sport.
If the fans of the sport cared about it then 90% of the rules that have been changed the last 25 years would never ever of happened.
The fans only care about their club now, they don’t care about the sport as it’s now just an entertainment product to most of them as opposed to the tribal almost religion it was a few decades back.

The AFL will continue to do as they please and they can do this knowing their clubs fans will just keep handing over their money and turning up.
Until the fans stick up for the sport in bulk numbers then expect changes to keep coming and rules changed on the run. Pretty much more of the same.

Tom Morris
@tommorris32
·
4m

You don’t hear of it much anymore, but I understand there is a concern De Goey battling osteitis pubis. If so, it takes more than one week to fully recover from OP.

Not ideal for them... But makes next week a lot easier.
Yeo had OP for about 3 years

The artificially inflated population growth is due to massive numbers of migrants, and due to the unsustainably high level it currently sits many of them won't assimilate let alone follow and play AFL.
What the Zoomers don't understand is that if they want to own a house before they turn 40, a career in the AFL may be the most viable option. When they cotton on I anticipate a golden age of the AFL.

What the Zoomers don't understand is that if they want to own a house before they turn 40, a career in the AFL may be the most viable option. When they cotton on I anticipate a golden age of the AFL.

Tradies on a $6.3 billion construction project are walking off the job as their union calls for pay rises which would see an entry-level worker earn an eye-watering $240,000 per year.

Interesting considering the number of construction companies going under in recent years.

My construction clients are finding it pretty rough at the moment, and that's before they start paying entry level construction workers $240k pa.

surely a quarter of a million is the media exaggerating

may as well build the buildings in china and helicopter them in

Remove this Banner Ad

Back