Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I was all ready to get mad at another AFL cover up but their response actually does track with their recreational drug policy which is based on a education/harm minimisation approach.
a) they do testing outside of game day for recreational drugs, I believe this is not a WADA requirement
b) because of this additional testing they have an agreement with AFLPA to protect player identity
c) I could be wrong but isnt the club doctor one of the few people at clubs who is provided details of positive tests. How else do you explain a player mysteriously having a few weeks off?

Whether you agree or disagree with the policy is another discussion.

I was all ready to get mad at another AFL cover up but their response actually does track with their recreational drug policy which is based on a education/harm minimisation approach.
a) they do testing outside of game day for recreational drugs, I believe this is not a WADA requirement
b) because of this additional testing they have an agreement with AFLPA to protect player identity
c) I could be wrong but isnt the club doctor one of the few people at clubs who is provided details of positive tests. How else do you explain a player mysteriously having a few weeks off?

Whether you agree or disagree with the policy is another discussion.
Maybe so, but the concept of harm minimisation is up for discussion if you believe Bartlett's contention that he was moved on in order to silence him.

He says he had an agenda to put the broom through his club on this issue. If they moved him on as a result, I don't see how that supports the notion of harm minimisation.

Edmund is doing a great stenography job here.

Been handed a career defining story on a platter and he’s perfectly content to be a lap dog and ensure his bread still gets buttered.

Maybe so, but the concept of harm minimisation is up for discussion if you believe Bartlett's contention that he was moved on in order to silence him.

He says he had an agenda to put the broom through his club on this issue. If they moved him on as a result, I don't see how that supports the notion of harm minimisation.
I think for me there are two different issues at the Dees, the issue re players taking drugs I agree with the policy as it stand and think the allegations re players having "fake injuries" after positive tests outside WADA requirements is in line with that policy.
Personal opinion but i think you would have to have your head in sand to think blokes in their 20s arent dabbling, and I think education is a better approach than zero tolerance (as long as its in line with WADA guidance.).
The other issue re Bartlett's concern about the culture at coaching level/Board level is another story altogether, definitely think the AFL needs to be scrutinised more for their part in the moves made against him. Also another example of the hypocrisy/PR strategy at AFL house (but we knew this already :D )

My understanding is that Andrew Wilkie is not overly concerned about individual players taking drugs and whether that is condoned/not condoned by the AFL. He's concerned with the impact that faking injuries has on gambling odds and the AFL's involvement in manipulating the odds by conductng these tests and then telling players to fake injuries. Wilkie is anti-gambling.

My understanding is that Andrew Wilkie is not overly concerned about individual players taking drugs and whether that is condoned/not condoned by the AFL. He's concerned with the impact that faking injuries has on gambling odds and the AFL's involvement in manipulating the odds by conductng these tests and then telling players to fake injuries. Wilkie is anti-gambling.

Yep, his angle is that and the fact that the AFL receive eye watering gov funding and indirect gov funding through capitol works such as the Tassie stadium and the Gabba redevelopment before that got scuppered.

A fair enough angle to take and hopefully a way to get some traction for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 1 Episode 6 GIF by Friends

Doedee has gone down with a partial tear to the recently repaired ACL. That is terrible luck
have you been reading this thread? He's probably just planning on going on a massive bender.

Yep, his angle is that and the fact that the AFL receive eye watering gov funding and indirect gov funding through capitol works such as the Tassie stadium and the Gabba redevelopment before that got scuppered.

A fair enough angle to take and hopefully a way to get some traction for him.
He's also been anti-pokies for a long time so presumably is also aware of the way that AFL clubs make money from that revenue stream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back