Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I see the Qld government have opted to upgrade 3 of their stadiums instead building a new one in Brisbane.

Hmmmm…
Let’s see how they manage to shaft us of this one little nugget of gold amongst all the s**t we’ve had to endure.
I reckon it might actually be a good thing to have access to a father son in a compromised draft pool.

I reckon it might actually be a good thing to have access to a father son in a compromised draft pool.
You’re right. But the push to have the F/S removed won’t go away and I always wonder if it might be seen as the perfect opportunity to sell the idea of changing the rules with the introduction of a new team and priority concession picks. I’m probably being a bit paranoid but I’ve come to learn that good things are hard to come by at this club.

You’re right. But the push to have the F/S removed won’t go away and I always wonder if it might be seen as the perfect opportunity to sell the idea of changing the rules with the introduction of a new team and priority concession picks. I’m probably being a bit paranoid but I’ve come to learn that good things are hard to come by at this club.
I can see exactly where you are coming from and just after Collingwood have taken full advantage.

is the talk not about giving tas access to father/sons to then trade them to the club their father played at
i.e. Tas claim Bewick, and we give them something for him?

I see the Qld government have opted to upgrade 3 of their stadiums instead building a new one in Brisbane.
I havent read into this at all but now Im supportive of this position just because of how hysterical and hyperbolic Gerard Wheatley was getting this morning about it. Something along the lines of shouting over and over "POLITICIANS DONT UNDERSTAND THE MAGICAL IMPACT SPORT HAS ON THE COMMUNITY"

is the talk not about giving tas access to father/sons to then trade them to the club their father played at
i.e. Tas claim Bewick, and we give them something for him?
Yeah that would make sense but you wonder if the AFL might be looking for any excuse to do away with the F/S for equalisation purposes and this might be their gateway. Hopefully they still see the merit in keeping the romance going.

Yeah that would make sense but you wonder if the AFL might be looking for any excuse to do away with the F/S for equalisation purposes and this might be their gateway. Hopefully they still see the merit in keeping the romance going.
i doubt it. i think there's a sentiment that it's a nice unique part of the game. and i agree with that. It's good to see the Daicos' at collingwood, Darcy/Libba at the dogs, etc

What they need to overhaul is the NGA to remove the anomalies like MacKenzie, JUH, etc.
I prefer something akin to a zone academy where the same pathways afforded to kids where the majority of draftees come from aren't afforded.
And clubs should have to invest in it from a broader community aspect to gain any benefit.

MacKenzie went through a well established Melb Metro program and had no business being linked to an NGA.

should have a focus on either remote areas in the country where distance/saturation limits development ops, or take in players rejected by the established school/u18 programs in metro areas.

Exactly. That would suck somewhat.

On the flip side, imagine being St Kilda and never getting F/S players at all 😮
Even funnier if Riewolt's kids become NFL champions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You said that and I was struggling to think of any so thought could that possibly be true? 3 is still not very many.
Especially when you consider Adelaide has had that many despite many years less existence.

Probably should’ve phrased it better. Never had a F/S of any real note. Sierakowski got games but was a plodder. The other 2 came and went with barely a trace.
How many have we had of note? Jobe. Joey but, well you know. Too early re the Daveys. Too early re Tex but struggling. A few that clearly didn't work (Neagle, Daniher, Fletch jnr, Tom Hird but he was cat B i think). Did any of them work out other than Jobe and we kind of stuffed things up for him.

How many have we had of note? Jobe. Joey but, well you know. Too early re the Daveys. Too early re Tex but struggling. A few that clearly didn't work (Neagle, Daniher, Fletch jnr, Tom Hird but he was cat B i think). Did any of them work out other than Jobe and we kind of stuffed things up for him.
Fletcher

Does Ken and Dustin Fletcher count?

Yes apologies, a fairly big one I missed there. So, we have two of note?
Joe is of note for sure. Not only for AA season but also for the trade value to the club. He may not have been the great white hope we’d prayed for but he was definitely a commodity of note and gave same serious entertainment value.

Last edited:
Over 700 games of what I’d consider elite talent compared to zero for the Saints. It’s significant.

We’re not going to suspend you because you kicking another player only had a ‘small chance’ of causing injury doesn’t really pass the sniff test, does it?

We’re not going to suspend you because you kicking another player only had a ‘small chance’ of causing injury doesn’t really pass the sniff test, does it?

It was low impact if any impact at all.
It has to have some force to qualify for a suspension.

Ie, whether the act was "wrong" or not an act we should see on a field is irrelevant to the case which was simply moving impact from medium to low.
In marking it as medium the AFL showed they graded it off the action itself not the actual impact. McGrath barely felt it, hell it wasn't even really a kick, more so a tripping action really.
We would be furious if one of our players went for something like that.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back