Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

I think McKercher will be a good player, but Reid is that potential star factor that turns a good midfield in to a great one.

Phillips over McDonald is looking like a total bust though.
Phillips made sense at the time, he was spoken about as the strongest leader of the draft crop who could become a Selwood-like figure in the club. I think the way in which North look completely lost on the field this year shows why a leader like that is necessary.

From memory he got glandular fever and has never really recovered his conditioning, hasn’t been able to reach his potential as a midfielder and now other players have gone past him. I guess it was also the covid draft so maybe with more exposure in his draft year he’d have slid back. That draft does seem to be taking a lot longer to develop than you’d normally expect.

He strikes me as the type who could potentially benefit from a change of scenery and a fresh start, I don’t think he’d suit our list profile very well but he wouldn’t cost much.

Phillips made sense at the time, he was spoken about as the strongest leader of the draft crop who could become a Selwood-like figure in the club. I think the way in which North look completely lost on the field this year shows why a leader like that is necessary.

From memory he got glandular fever and has never really recovered his conditioning, hasn’t been able to reach his potential as a midfielder and now other players have gone past him. I guess it was also the covid draft so maybe with more exposure in his draft year he’d have slid back. That draft does seem to be taking a lot longer to develop than you’d normally expect.

He strikes me as the type who could potentially benefit from a change of scenery and a fresh start, I don’t think he’d suit our list profile very well but he wouldn’t cost much.
Their draft as a whole made no sense. They had Larkey, McKay, Comben and Xerri as the only relatively young KPP's on their list. They badly needed some key defenders as there were severe questions about McKay's body at the time.

Taking DGB was the obvious one for me. That would have been an interesting turn of events, as Hawthorne were likely to take Cox or Reid if DGB wasn't there, and GC were big into Phillips.

Phillips is 100% suffering from the effects of being ill ( glandular fever and Covid) that have slowed the development. Seems to be behind a few so far this year. His VFL form is very good right now albeit very much inside with lots of handball and tackles . Like his leadership a lot but for us he is pretty much Ben Hobbs or Jye Caldwell . He is pretty much missing out at North due to Wardlaw being as good as he is and Simpkin plays inside and outside. Dare I say it the Dodoro approach has almost made him a spare part.

Their draft as a whole made no sense. They had Larkey, McKay, Comben and Xerri as the only relatively young KPP's on their list. They badly needed some key defenders as there were severe questions about McKay's body at the time.

Taking DGB was the obvious one for me. That would have been an interesting turn of events, as Hawthorne were likely to take Cox or Reid if DGB wasn't there, and GC were big into Phillips.
DGB was from WA yeah? They were possibly spooked by the go home factor. Not that they worried to much about that when drafting JHF, although you really had to take him if he’s there.

I guess they're hoping to lure KPPs when they think the time is right. They must be saving up for it.
The $Warchest$!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

DGB was from WA yeah? They were possibly spooked by the go home factor. Not that they worried to much about that when drafting JHF, although you really had to take him if he’s there.
I reckon they probably took a punt that we'd go with Bruhn or Pedlar and Cox/Reid would slip to them.

Do not disagree with your description of Bevo but I do wonder exactly what they are doing with their list .
There was some of the heavy lifting and development done before he arrived.
Elimination final in 2015.
They won a GF in 2016 when in reality they where the best team in September but maybe not the best team overall .
Miss finals in 17 and 18.
Lose Elimination final in 19 and 20.
Make the GF in 21 but Melbourne run over them in a big way after two good finals wins on the road.
Lose the Elimination final in 22 .
Miss finals in 23.
I wonder if there has also been a bit of over rating the list going on and after bouncing around from 8th to 1st and missing a few times since 2015 they may actually need a proper reset and not top up.

Definitely agree that 2016 was a case of a list, which wasn't the best in the comp, being in the right place at the right time and able to implement ideas of a coach who was doing something different. I fully accept that once you get to September that Beveridge really comes into his element and is a very good coach. It's the lead up and the state to which he gets his team there that is the problem.

But if you use the Hawks of 08 as a point of comparison, as another side that won a flag 'before its time', the 2016 premiership side took that Bont-led core and then added:

• 2016 draft: English (R1 #19), Lipinski (R2 #28);
  • 2017 draft: Naughton (R1 #7), Richards (R1 #16;
  • 2018 draft: Smith (R1 #7), West (R2 #28), Vandemeer (R2 #37);
  • 2019 draft: Weightman (R1 #15);
  • 2020 draft: Jamara (R1 #2);
  • 2021 draft: Darcy (R1 #2);
  • 2022 draft: Busslinger (R1 #13), Clarke (R2 #24);
  • 2023 draft: Sanders (R1 #6), Crof (R1 #15).

That's 9 players in the first and second rounds in the 5 drafts following the premiership. All the players are good and are contributing at a clearly best 22 level and have been for at least the last 2 seasons (although Lipinski has moved on). Some are absolute stars of the comp. Hawthorn hardly gets an a R1 or R2 right other than Cyril (08 draft) after the 04 haul of Buddy, etc.

Off the top of my head, Dale is one guy they already had who didn't play in the 16 GF who has become an All Australian. Bailey Williams is another who I believe was on the list but didn't play in the GF and is a very good player.

They've brought in a players for now but they've replenished the list taking 11 first round picks in 8 drafts since their flag. That did require the loss of Stringer but that's was offset by the addition of Naughton years ago (and Stinger has been poor for most of the time since). They were flying with Dunkley in 2021 until they blew up late in the season (and had to play each week in the finals). Treloar has been solid and offset the loss of Dunkley. Guys like Keath, Duryea, Baker and I'd say even Bramble have been solid additions.

The list might be overrated, and probably is, but I have a very hard time accepting that any premier that brings in what they have brought in would ebb and flow to this extent while playing a system that gives them something without the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL be like
1713322156511.png

Cameron's might be worse many. That is a week in anyones book if the AFL are serious.

If it was a lesser player or not one of the AFL poster boys it is a week. They make a rod for their own back.

AFL be like
View attachment 1962007

Cameron's might be worse many. That is a week in anyones book if the AFL are serious.

If it was a lesser player or not one of the AFL poster boys it is a week. They make a rod for their own back.
Bit like all the acting Selwood and Shuey would perform then they ping Leroy Jetta for staging and the others would never get done no matter how blatant. Might have been Hawkins who one time playacted a most obvious one and likewise nothing happened move on everyone. I wish there was a rod but nothing happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back