Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XVII

Remove this Banner Ad

Why did North win that round 24 game vs Gold Coast? It's the most damaging and counterintuitive win I've ever seen.
Now West Coast have Harley Reid who would have been the perfect replacement for JHF. Reid and McKercher would have set them up.

They had already lost 20 games in a row. What's one more? I just don't get it.

I think everyone at North wanted to lose that game. Problem is that tanking as match fixing has really only happened that once, when it was Bailey at Melbourne. It is so obvious that it can't be pulled off without facing the risk of lengthy suspension, reputational damage and possibly even the loss of the pick. Terry Wallace has talked a lot about how awkward that day was. I'll bet they were praying GC would turn up because you can't control the outcome once the ball is bounced. That's match fixing and it could well end up beyond the control of the AFL. Their prayers weren't answered and I put it down to karma.

West Coasting checked out 3 years ago and has just been plodding along. It doesn't deserve anything, really, but it hasn't engaged a systematic campaign to blow up any semblance of competitiveness and then screwed up its list management strategy, seemingly oblivious to its status in the game. This is what West Coast does. It's like the whole club checks out for the period it takes to get interested again and then, all of the sudden, they're playing prelims. They ebb and flow like no other club. North is still a first round pick short of where it would be if it was realistic about its capacity to retain JHF. If they've learned any self-awareness they're probably relieved they missed Reid. While I think it less likely that even that calibre of young gun moves intrastate, he's still faced with VFL sized crowds off Broadway for a large part of his career. If he supports any one of Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton or Hawthorn there is a pretty good chance he'll end up there (it's not a certainty but a good chance). If it was Geelong, he'd already be buying property in Torquay.

Last edited:
north's other issue is tarryn thomas is gone (could a better run club have turned him around?) and LDU looks checked-out as well (can they turn him around).

Watching 360 and a reminder that in 1992 Dunstall had 229 shots on goal!! Kicked 145.84

Yeah different game then but bloody hell!
63% accuracy is pretty s**t, hardly "legendary". what a joke

Exactly. I'm yet to see this winning culture they speak of. LDU looks like he can't be bothered anymore.

They had a marquee player right there and they won a meaningless game that like you said Gold Coast didn't give a crap about.
They really messed that up. Reid alone would have brought a crowd like he's currently doing at West Coast.

It's a major stuff up in every way. Both on field and off field. Performance, premiership prospects, crowds, marketing etc.

Could easily have had Reid and Logan McDonald instead of Phillips and McKercher.

Watching 360 and a reminder that in 1992 Dunstall had 229 shots on goal!! Kicked 145.84

And he never had the advantage of a mark in the square putting him straight in front. Nor kicking around the corner from a dead ball mark or free kick.

Not bad for a bloke from QLD.

It's amazing how much the scoring has been stiffled. Looking at last year's ladder in comparison is interesting, and I can't believe Geelong scored over 3000 points in 1992.

_Ladder1992.jpg

_Ladder2023.jpg

Could easily have had Reid and Logan McDonald instead of Phillips and McKercher.
I like McKercher tbh. A young Zach Merrett.

But yeah their rebuild would have been coming along nicely. Instead, they're a long way off. Kind of reminds me of St Kilda when they didn't select Petracca, Bont and Naughton. Still haven't recovered from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's amazing how much the scoring has been stiffled.
steve bannon post GIF

Did get a laugh yesterday. Hawks supporter on SEN imploring the Hawks coaching staff to tell Choll he is a beast and have confidence to crash the packs and take marks. Problem is Choll is Choll. Great specimen. Limited footballer. Been the same everywhere he has been.

Did get a laugh yesterday. Hawks supporter on SEN imploring the Hawks coaching staff to tell Choll he is a beast and have confidence to crash the packs and take marks. Problem is Choll is Choll. Great specimen. Limited footballer. Been the same everywhere he has been.

In fairness Wright was the same, he then was forced to be "the guy" and he improved, got his confidence up and looked more like the talent he should be.

Still shows signs of the mindset being a bit of the timid side sometimes.
McKay from Carlton too this year, he's got his confidence up with his kicking, and his whole game has improved.

Now Choll isn't the talent of those two but he can play better than what he is if his confidence was higher.

In fairness Wright was the same, he then was forced to be "the guy" and he improved, got his confidence up and looked more like the talent he should be.

Still shows signs of the mindset being a bit of the timid side sometimes.
McKay from Carlton too this year, he's got his confidence up with his kicking, and his whole game has improved.

Now Choll isn't the talent of those two but he can play better than what he is if his confidence was higher.
Choll is up to club number 3. Still the same . He is an average player that people get sucked into as he does something with X factor a couple of times every 4 or 5 weeks. Other than that he just plods around doing not a lot at all. Having played 66 games they are not going to get a lot more out of him. He is an okay forward / second ruck if you have a decent couple of forwards to play around him but he does not always read the game all that well and he plods around the ground a bit.

I like McKercher tbh. A young Zach Merrett.

But yeah their rebuild would have been coming along nicely. Instead, they're a long way off. Kind of reminds me of St Kilda when they didn't select Petracca, Bont and Naughton. Still haven't recovered from that.

I think McKercher will be a good player, but Reid is that potential star factor that turns a good midfield in to a great one.

Phillips over McDonald is looking like a total bust though.

Bevo is doing the douchey, non-charismatic Antonio Conte.

He doesn't get to call that list not good enough when it is really not good enough to implement a system that has really only worked for 7 weeks of his entire career at the Dogs.

If those players have been burned out it is only because in all of these years Bevo has not evolved a system of play without the ball that allows them to defend the ground and get the job done at anything less than peak intensity. It's why they can't make the top 4. Contrast this with the ability to play at different tempos best displayed by Hawthorn and Geelong. Even contrast with Lyon coached sides that routinely qualified in the top 4 on the back of a defensive system.

Bevo is pound for pound one of the biggest underperforming coaches we have seen. He has outstripped the first iteration of Buckley in this regard and by a very long way. Dogs fans and even players are suffering from the Dogs' board passing off inertia as stability.

Last edited:
I think McKercher will be a good player, but Reid is that potential star factor that turns a good midfield in to a great one.

Phillips over McDonald is looking like a total bust though.
But they would have had pick 1 and 2 with McKay leaving so they could have had McDonald, Reid and McKercher. Along with Wardlaw and LDU, that midfield would have been hard to beat in 3 years.

They stuffed up. And these decisions were obvious at the time so it's not even a hindsight thing.

But they would have had pick 1 and 2 with McKay leaving so they could have had McDonald, Reid and McKercher. Along with Wardlaw and LDU, that midfield would have been hard to beat in 3 years.

They stuffed up. And these decisions were obvious at the time so it's not even a hindsight thing.

Totally forgot about that, so there wasn’t even a trade off.

A Reid, Wardlaw, McKercher and Sheezel midfield group would have been pretty strong in 3 - 5 years time.

Bevo is doing the douchey, non-charismatic Antonio Conte.

He doesn't get to call that list not good enough when it is really not good enough to implement a system that has really only worked for 7 weeks of his entire career at the Dogs.

If those players have been burned out it is only because in all of these years Bevo has not evolved a system of play without the ball that allows them to defend the ground and get the job done at anything less than peak intensity. It's why they can't make the top 4. Contrast this with the ability to play at different tempos best displayed by Hawthorn and Geelong. Even contrast with Lyon coached sides that routinely qualified in the top 4 on the back of a defensive system.

Bevo is pound for pound one of the biggest underperforming coaches we have seen. He has outstripped the first iteration of Buckley in this regard and by a very long way. Dogs fans and even players are suffering from the Dogs' board passing off inertia as a stability.
Do not disagree with your description of Bevo but I do wonder exactly what they are doing with their list .
There was some of the heavy lifting and development done before he arrived.
Elimination final in 2015.
They won a GF in 2016 when in reality they where the best team in September but maybe not the best team overall .
Miss finals in 17 and 18.
Lose Elimination final in 19 and 20.
Make the GF in 21 but Melbourne run over them in a big way after two good finals wins on the road.
Lose the Elimination final in 22 .
Miss finals in 23.
I wonder if there has also been a bit of over rating the list going on and after bouncing around from 8th to 1st and missing a few times since 2015 they may actually need a proper reset and not top up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back