Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Details in this thread

Its no surprise really.

The AFL are the masters of cover-ups.

How many off-field incidents in Melbourne get hidden by the AFL involving players before they go the press. You can't tell me all those players in Melbourne clubs are clean off-field and barely an incident.

They did there best to clear Essendon back when the drug scandal broke.

It was only because certain journos kept digging and the saga dragged on for 4 years.

The AFL were as much to blame for that as Essendon.

Should have been over straight away.

Didn't think I'd be waking up to news that the AFL has been supporting the use of illicit drugs in the most worst kept secret ever.

Now all that will need to be figured out is how the AFL punish the Adelaide Crows for this.

(This is a reference to the tanking investigation that found no tanking but punished a former Melbourne official then working at the crows)

It’s almost more newsworthy that a journalist decided to go with it to print rather than everyone just ignoring it for the most part. Nothing in the slightest will come of this, it’s the same in every major professional sport in the world, they all look after their athletes

Club takes a stance on clayton oliver but what about goodwin?

Surely thats a bigger deal. Fortunately melbourne arent a particularly young team.. could u imagine if JL or Simmo were on the gear given the amount of kids coming through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi folks, I didn't know where to post this.
I have Sam Sturt in a keeper league. Is there any chance of him getting back into the AFL team, or is he way down the pecking order?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Cheers.

This is frightening ... for Weagles fans and for the rest of the competition re the Giants.
Not really, standard deviation needs to be considered as well as average age. The Eagles have a much higher standard deviation in their playing group than GWS. Ie you can have a team of half 30 year olds and half 20 year olds and be the same average age as a team of only 25 year olds. Typically you'd expect the team of 25 year olds to dominate such a contest.

The whole illicit drugs are bad thing is bullshit. Half of society has used them at some point because they can be fun. They are typically performance reducing substances, so no one is getting an advantage from smashing coke, MD, or weed. The most odd thing about it is that one of the more psychologically damaging substances in alcohol is completely ignored simply because it's legal.

The reason it's covered up is young people shouldn't have their lives ruined by doing what everyone else their age is doing. The issue is the legal stance of these substances, not their use.

Performance enhancing drugs should be slammed. Getting caught with a cap of MD or whatever shouldn't result in public humiliation. Anyhow, drifting into politics so leave it there.

Not really, standard deviation needs to be considered as well as average age. The Eagles have a much higher standard deviation in their playing group than GWS. Ie you can have a team of half 30 year olds and half 20 year olds and be the same average age as a team of only 25 year olds. Typically you'd expect the team of 25 year olds to dominate such a contest.
West Coast were playing 6 non mature age 1/2/3 year players in their 23 (I.e aged under 20.5) on the weekend compared to North's 4 (all top 5 picks btw). North were playing only 2 players over 27 whereas WC had 7.

On the latter topic I like a lot of people had been raging that North has had too much assistance (and they have). But pouring over their team today and yesterday they may have further to go that I thought. Their cohort of players over 23 but under 29 is pretty bad meaning the spots in the team 2 plus years from now will have to filled by as yet unexposed players under 22 on the list or by future trades.

I mean their cohort of recent top picks is a great base to build around (Larky is actually nearly 26 already) but you still actually need your next best ten players to be better than average and not to include Darcy Tucker. 2016 Freo should prove to everyones satisfaction that by itself a great midfield is not enough.

West Coast were playing 6 non mature age 1/2/3 year players in their 23 (I.e aged under 20.5) on the weekend compared to North's 4 (all top 5 picks btw). North were playing only 2 players over 27 whereas WC had 7.
Gaff had a great game in the wafl. Bring him in to reboot their season.

Weavils' non-performing old blokes are a problem, but the sad* bit is they're already playing the kids. It's who the kids are playing with - the 24-year-old ho-hummers like Callum Jamison, Harry Edwards and Bailey Williams - that really screws things.

*Sad/hilarious - your call.

The whole illicit drugs are bad thing is bullshit. Half of society has used them at some point because they can be fun. They are typically performance reducing substances, so no one is getting an advantage from smashing coke, MD, or weed. The most odd thing about it is that one of the more psychologically damaging substances in alcohol is completely ignored simply because it's legal.

The reason it's covered up is young people shouldn't have their lives ruined by doing what everyone else their age is doing. The issue is the legal stance of these substances, not their use.

Performance enhancing drugs should be slammed. Getting caught with a cap of MD or whatever shouldn't result in public humiliation. Anyhow, drifting into politics so leave it there.
I know who I'm hanging with at the BigFooty Christmas party.

Hi folks, I didn't know where to post this.
I have Sam Sturt in a keeper league. Is there any chance of him getting back into the AFL team, or is he way down the pecking order?
Any advice is much appreciated.
Cheers.
He's a bit out. Was injured during the pre-season and hasn't looked match ready. Behind Emmett, Banfield and probably even Simpson.

It’s almost more newsworthy that a journalist decided to go with it to print rather than everyone just ignoring it for the most part. Nothing in the slightest will come of this, it’s the same in every major professional sport in the world, they all look after their athletes
Cant agree with you on this Snuff. I’ve read the code and the AFL IDP.
This is afl sanctioned that they have admitted to(press realease this morning) and it breaches there own IDP.
SIA & WADA are going to look at this very closely and Wilkie won’t let it go given the politics at play with the Tassie Stadium.
This won’t be only a MFC issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back