Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2022, part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bold is simple

The coach has changed
Not sure this current change in coach made that much difference, though. He was already back in the leadership group (and therefore a 'reasonable' candidate to be the next captain) under Rutten. The more interesting reality is that he went out of the leadership group under Worsfold.

Was that more player-driven or coach-driven? I guess we'll never know. But it did seem very strange at the time. And seems stranger still now.

From memory, there was a thread on the main board comparing the two sides.
Yeah there was one not long ago that got shitcanned to the polls board or something eventually, but that was about the Tigs being better than all of Brisbane 01-03, Hawthorn 13-15 and Geelong 07-11.

Humble lot.

What a s**t club, to have former players trashing current ones publicly in the media. I honestly can’t think of another club that does it to even remotely the same degree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a s**t club, to have former players trashing current ones publicly in the media. I honestly can’t think of another club that does it to even remotely the same degree.
Didn't Cummings only play a couple of years with them at the start of his career? His drivel is hardly going to draw Lloyd-esque "former player" controversy and quite clearly comes from a position of little know how. About the same as Clint Bizzel saying he wasn't sure how good of a leader Guthrie is.

Didn't Cummings only play a couple of years with them at the start of his career? His drivel is hardly going to draw Lloyd-esque "former player" controversy and quite clearly comes from a position of little know how. About the same as Clint Bizzel saying he wasn't sure how good of a leader Guthrie is.
Of course it’s not the same as Lloyd doing it, but he took the time to trash Merrett as a cheap, ineffectual player who selfishly stat-pads, and then advocate for Redman as a better candidate, despite being drafted by them.

My point was you always hear stories like this about Essendon.

Of course it’s not the same as Lloyd doing it, but he took the time to trash Merrett as a cheap, ineffectual player who selfishly stat-pads, and then advocate for Redman as a better candidate, despite being drafted by them.

My point was you always hear stories like this about Essendon.
It's the actual statement that is poisonous, irrespective of whether he got drafted by them. I'd cringe if an ex Geelong player talked about any club's players in such a way. He was only a small step away from saying "well he's a bit of a pansy isn't he?".

Guy not involved with the club, who has no idea of the relationships between players and doesn't know what kind of leader Merrett is feels inclined to make comment about thing he knows nothing about.

Reminds me of when Harley was named captain and there were flogs questioning it. Doesn't look so bad historically anymore does it.

Merrett is 27, has the third most games on their list behind Shiel and Heppell, I am not sure who else could be captain? Parish maybe, but rumor is he is gone next year.

McGrath seems a likely type when he is around 26, maybe he is next in line?

Guy not involved with the club, who has no idea of the relationships between players and doesn't know what kind of leader Merrett is feels inclined to make comment about thing he knows nothing about.

Reminds me of when Harley was named captain and there were flogs questioning it. Doesn't look so bad historically anymore does it.

Merrett is 27, has the third most games on their list behind Shiel and Heppell, I am not sure who else could be captain? Parish maybe, but rumor is he is gone next year.

McGrath seems a likely type when he is around 26, maybe he is next in line?

McGrath is VC, so based on that would seem to be next in line

Kudos to Freo/Walyalup for this.

However I question whether this article is entirely correct in suggesting that their game against Narrm will be the first time two teams with Indigenous names will play each other in the AFL.

It does also say that they will play under that name against Geelong (Djilang) the week prior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back