News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mods, can we put all this Tassie talk in the Tassie thread? Given the potential ramifications it would be good to have one 'go to' spot for all this news and/or commentary.

Done

Im all for Tassie having their own team but you have to ask who would want to play for it?

A bunch of 20 somethings who earn 300k+ a year and are likely single arent going to want to live in Tasmania. Its a beautiful place but there wont be the lifestyle a rich 20 something will want. Also - there will be less business opportunities for them.

I really like the idea overall but they will have huge problems keeping players down there

Why not? I read that commonly and it's rubbish.

There's plenty of young Drs, lawyers etc from interstate that love the benefits Tas/Hobart brings - awesome houses for comparitively peanuts to Melb/Syd, relaxed pace, beaches everywhere, thriving restaurant/cafe scene etc.

By far the main problem that makes young people leave is lack of job opportunities - that is not an issue for a contracted AFL player, plus many players would prefer being out of the fishbowl Melbourne is for AFL players. (I really like Melb also)

I fail to see how living in Adelaide, for example, provides any extra benefits to players over Tas. Sure it's bigger but nothing more to do. In fact I'd say it's less appealing in various ways and they seem to keep most of their players, even if not from SA.

Why not? I read that commonly and it's rubbish.

There's plenty of young Drs, lawyers etc from interstate that love the benefits Tas/Hobart brings - awesome houses for comparitively peanuts to Melb/Syd, relaxed pace, beaches everywhere, thriving restaurant/cafe scene etc.

By far the main problem that makes young people leave is lack of job opportunities - that is not an issue for a contracted AFL player, plus many players would prefer being out of the fishbowl Melbourne is for AFL players. (I really like Melb also)

I fail to see how living in Adelaide, for example, provides any extra benefits to players over Tas. Sure it's bigger but nothing more to do. In fact I'd say it's less appealing in various ways and they seem to keep most of their players, even if not from SA.

There's absolutely no night life in Tasmania and the very large majority of 18 year olds move to Melbourne to live as soon as possible due to there largely being no jobs available.

A team of 20 something's who, let's face it, want to hang out in bars and meet girls would hate it there because there aren't any girls around.

It's a beautiful place but it's very far from thriving these days.

There's absolutely no night life in Tasmania and the very large majority of 18 year olds move to Melbourne to live as soon as possible due to there largely being no jobs available.

A team of 20 something's who, let's face it, want to hang out in bars and meet girls would hate it there because there aren't any girls around.

I agree it would be a challenge.
Hopefully the team could get some committed individuals that can look past the glitz & glamour

Hobart only has a population of 220k
All of Tassie combined is around 500k

Compared to Melbournes 4 million its a big difference.

Im all for Tassie having their own team but you have to ask who would want to play for it?

A bunch of 20 somethings who earn 300k+ a year and are likely single arent going to want to live in Tasmania. Its a beautiful place but there wont be the lifestyle a rich 20 something will want. Also - there will be less business opportunities for them.

I really like the idea overall but they will have huge problems keeping players down there
Yeah, this is precisely what Gilligan can't just come out and say. There are a lot of complications to acknowledge like North/South, where the sponsor money comes from, the fact that it doesn't grow the game at all, takes revenue and growth opportunities away from existing clubs, etc etc etc. On the whole these aren't insurmountable though they do add up to making it look like a dicey prospect. But the one big thing that will most likely stop a Tas team being sustainable is player retention.

I love the joint, go down a couple of times a year. But I'm a 40-something dude who likes food, art, sport, nature, history and s**t and not, as you say, a 20-something on 300k and no responsibilities.

Yeah, this is precisely what Gilligan can't just come out and say. There are a lot of complications to acknowledge like North/South, where the sponsor money comes from, the fact that it doesn't grow the game at all, takes revenue and growth opportunities away from existing clubs, etc etc etc. On the whole these aren't insurmountable though they do add up to making it look like a dicey prospect. But the one big thing that will most likely stop a Tas team being sustainable is player retention.

I love the joint, go down a couple of times a year. But I'm a 40-something dude who likes food, art, sport, nature, history and s**t and not, as you say, a 20-something on 300k and no responsibilities.

If you could fire up the patriotic angle then kids from Tassie playing for Tassie could work. When I was a kid people in tassie used to genuinely talk about seceding from the mainland. After all the game started down there* Peter Hudson and Ben Brown both come from there and Amanda Palmer wrote a song about a map of the place.

I haven't really kept in contact with many of the kids I went to primary school with in Hobart, but of the ones I actually do keep track of - all of them left at some point soon after finishing high school. Many went back when they had kids or were in their 40s but not all of them.

*Note, the game may not have actually started down there.

The same no nightlife i was out enjoying to 4am this morning with packed places everywhere?

No girls around? Wow. Ok. I could have sworn the young lasses in tight dresses were girls but maybe they are Tassie ladyboys as you imply.

You clearly haven't been to Hobart, or are wilfully ignorant, as you have no idea what you're talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree it would be a challenge.
Hopefully the team could get some committed individuals that can look past the glitz & glamour

Hobart only has a population of 220k
All of Tassie combined is around 500k

Compared to Melbournes 4 million its a big difference.

Sorry mate but that's bullshit.

Melbourne has multiple clubs and various other sports ripping into that 4 mil. Tas as you know is nearly all footy, with soccer now a threat.

Geelong population is 240K. They do fine with far less population.

The only reason Tas doesn't have a team is because AFL see little growth/money in it, as people already watch and are engaged unlike Northern states they are pumping $$ in to try and convert from Rugby.

It's got nothing to with whether it would be successful, the AFL simply don't care as they won't make money from it.

Last edited:
Sorry mate but that's all bullshit.

Melbourne has multiple clubs and various other sports ripping into that 4 mil. Tas as you know is nearly all footy, with soccer now a threat.

The only reason Tas doesn't have a team is because AFL see little growth/money in it, as people already watch and are engaged unlike Northern states they are pumping $$ in to try and convert from Rugby.

It's go nothing to with whether it would be successful, the AFL simply don't care as they won't make money from it.
That's 500 000 people who care about football, which his 499 999 more people that care about football than in GWS.

BTW, Tassie beat South Australia yesterday by 3 goals :hearteyes: So much talent in the mariners team this year! A lot of the bottom aged players are really exciting. Tarryn Thomas kicked 3.

That's 500 000 people who care about football, which his 499 999 more people that care about football than in GWS.

BTW, Tassie beat South Australia yesterday by 3 goals :hearteyes: So much talent in the mariners team this year! A lot of the bottom aged players are really exciting. Tarryn Thomas kicked 3.

Yep. Tassie people love their footy - a team would work much better here than Gold Coast for example, but of course AFL don't care as they want to take over Australia, not reward a loyal State that is already engaged being almost totally footy already (probably the biggest AFL State in % uptake i suspect).

Yeah Thomas looks excellent and Bombers (North Launnie) reckon a special talent. Good luck against Freo this arvo, like to see the Blues rise up, especially as Bolton is a top bloke and excellent coach (IMO).

Sorry mate but that's bullshit.

It's got nothing to with whether it would be successful, the AFL simply don't care as they won't make money from it.

Yeah if the NRL or ALeague make a tassie team each maybe the AFL will get off their arse.
If the AFL can a team running in bloody Gold Coast and GWS they could get make it work here.
As for player retention players would spend a lot of time in Melbourne anyway with away games.
I think players in relationships and/or with kids would adapt to the slower paced life.

Yeah if the NRL or ALeague make a tassie team each maybe the AFL will get off their arse.
If the AFL can a team running in bloody Gold Coast and GWS they could get make it work here.
As for player retention players would spend a lot of time in Melbourne anyway with away games.
I think players in relationships and/or with kids would adapt to the slower paced life.

Absolutely spot on mate.

If an A league soccer team started Tassie would have an AFL team in a flash. It's an hour flight from Melb, and as you say with so many Vic games the players are there very often (like SA teams with so many Vic players in a city going much worse).

As we're all AFL anyway we are in the 'don't care basket' with bullshit excuses of North v South.

That exists with Councils etc, but not with footy - Tassie North, South, East, West would massively get behind a legitimate Tassie team (not relocated, i love North but no it's relocation is not only extremely offensive to Vic members but Tassie don't want it anyway)

Maybe one day, but it's completely absurd the Gold Coast, yep that place you holiday and then meet locals and can't wait to leave, has an AFL footy team that no one wants and an AFL heartland is ignored.

The same no nightlife i was out enjoying to 4am this morning with packed places everywhere?

No girls around? Wow. Ok. I could have sworn the young lasses in tight dresses were girls but maybe they are Tassie ladyboys as you imply.

You clearly haven't been to Hobart, or are wilfully ignorant, as you have no idea what you're talking about.

Geez mate - nice respectful response you provided there.

I've been to Hobart about 5 times and if you think it compares to Melbourne night life well... It doesn't.

I like Tassie a lot but I 100% stand by my point of view that no afl footballers will want to live there. They just won't.

I've had some of the wildest nights of my life in Hobart and I've had some pretty wild nights all round.

Saintly2 Flamingo's mate? :rainbow:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back