News NMFC & Tassie (the mass debate re our future there, the academy, attending advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is the membership department that needs a kick up the ass......present no value whatsoever in any category....they really just rely on peoples love of the club to make what is effectively a donation.

They need to get back to presenting value for money, and give a reason to buy a membership, not just charge the same regarding of how many games are played in Melbourne (and don't start me on interstate memberships!).
Its part of the problem. The relationship has been transactional for far too long.

Its hard to market a team at the bottom of the ladder.

As soon as we climb the rungs as this young team I would expect the marketing team to go ballistic. It makes sense to save your budget till you have that momentum.

I think those doing the tassie team are doing a good job, who cares what tricks they are pulling.

Lets say they up the members ship to 100 next year - a lot of those 10 dollar members would be retained. Being a 'founding' member also has a special significance, and I think that plays well for retaining numbers if they manage that well.
Maybe they’ve taken some tips from our membership department and all these foundation memberships will be auto-renewed next year but on a more expensive membership level.

As i said, wait for the start of 2nd season. They will never get success just off the bat as it takes at least 5 years for a good team to build chemistry.
Admittedly footy is much harder with many more moving parts but what you're saying is exactly what they said about the JackJumpers, predicted by many to finish last. Us Taswegians can live in hope!

Admittedly footy is much harder with many more moving parts but what you're saying is exactly what they said about the JackJumpers, predicted by many to finish last. Us Taswegians can live in hope!
You can of course. And I’m a big supporter of TAS having their own team. The list requirements of an AFL team vs basketball are chalk and cheese, however.
I hope they do well, but it will be harder than when the eagles and crows came in just based on population and player depth.
Make sure you don’t fall out of love with us!

Reality suggests otherwise.

You can of course. And I’m a big supporter of TAS having their own team. The list requirements of an AFL team vs basketball are chalk and cheese, however.
I hope they do well, but it will be harder than when the eagles and crows came in just based on population and player depth.
Make sure you don’t fall out of love with us!
By simple maths it is getting harder with more teams, no doubt about it. I think the Tas team will be very interesting - I was adamant it should have been brought in instead of Gold Coast / GWS at the time. If it goes extremely well and is more self sufficient from day 1 it will say a lot about how poorly the AFL understands the social side of football and indeed how their eyes on $$$ over the growth of t he game can make them too myopic. They define growth way too much in terms of income.

By simple maths it is getting harder with more teams, no doubt about it. I think the Tas team will be very interesting - I was adamant it should have been brought in instead of Gold Coast / GWS at the time. If it goes extremely well and is more self sufficient from day 1 it will say a lot about how poorly the AFL understands the social side of football and indeed how their eyes on $$$ over the growth of t he game can make them too myopic. They define growth way too much in terms of income.
Suits using the sporting competition as a money making business.

All it is.

Is signing on long-term something you'd (Sheezel) speak to Colby McKercher about in time as well? Everyone looks at Tasmania coming into the competition and him being at the front of their mind.
We've actually spoken about it a little bit. He doesn't see it as a factor at all. He's a Launceston boy and I think the Tassie team would be based in Hobart so it's not like he's going home anyway. I think he's going to hopefully follow me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back