Opinion North Melbourne or not North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's something I've been pondering for a while. Blakey, Brayshaw, Spargo, Kelly, Krakour and more all have sons playing or who played for other clubs. Does that diminish their legacy? Not their fault I Know. The AFL keeps changing rules!

Here's something I've been pondering for a while. Blakey, Brayshaw, Spargo, Kelly, Krakour and more all have sons playing or who played for other clubs. Does that diminish their legacy? Not their fault I Know. The AFL keeps changing rules!
Doesn't diminish their legacy at all. Lizard Blakey went to Sydney because it was home at the time, not sure about Krakouer's circumstances, but the others didn't qualify so their cases are basically irrelevant. No doubt we would have taken Kelly and at least 2 Brayshaws if we had the F/S chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Mark Porter is the ultimate 50-50. 55 games for each club. Similar win/loss ratio.

Phil Carmen?
Surely not. Just one year at North.

I don't think I've seen Alan Jarrott and Steven Icke mentioned. I've ventured through the thread, but as I always said to my ex mrs, forgive me if it's not deep enough.

Jarrott played 79 games at North and 91 at Melbourne. A bit more team success at North, but no flags at either club. If my memory is right, he's involved in the past players association at North, so maybe that hints at his allegiance. North for mine.
Icke played 120 games for North including both 1977 GFs and the 1977 flag. His father Laurie played for NMFC in the1950s. Steven played 78 games for Melbourne and won their 1982 B&F ahead of another ex-North player who won the Brownlow that year, Brian Wilson. 50/50 for mine, but maybe the flag and the family history swings it North's way.

Last edited:
I think Mark Porter is the ultimate 50-50. 55 games for each club. Similar win/loss ratio.
Nah gotta be a roo after running down Crawf :)

Surely not. Just one year at North.

I don't think I've seen Alan Jarrott and Steven Icke mentioned. I've ventured through the thread, but as I always said to my ex mrs, forgive me if it's not deep enough.

Jarrott played 79 games at North and 91 at Melbourne. A bit more team success at North, but no flags at either club. If my memory is right, he's involved in the past players association at North, so maybe that hints at his allegiance. North for mine.
Icke played 120 games for North including both 1977 GFs and the 1977 flag. His father Laurie played for NMFC in the1950s. Steven played 78 games for Melbourne and won their 1982 B&F ahead of another ex-North player who won the Brownlow that year, Brian Wilson. 50/50 for mine, but maybe the flag and the family history swings it North's way.
In the era when so many went from North to Melbourne, or vice versa. Stan Alves, Billy Nettlefold, the very awesome Crackers Keenan .... gotta be more.

Thinking of Jasper Pittard and Marley Williams who were recruited from elsewhere and then delisted. Jasper publicly stated many times that he really embraced NMFC and played that way. Should be considered a North person. Marley played many years and was a good player for us however I couldn't help feeling that he was Collingwood. Just perceptions but it didn't seem he fully embraced the club. Others may know better.
Also Dal Santo is a North man for me although no-one would deny he will be remembered primarily as a Saints great. He impressed me for the fact that he knocked back both Essendon and Freo in favour of us.

Nah, Dal Santo is Saint, he was a pro but collected a pay cheque and extended his career here.

You can even pick it up in a lot of his radio segments etc, regularly talks abouthis Saints time, very rarely about us. Not even sure he particularly liked how it was ended for him here either.

Paul Bryce. 3 clubs, but North for me.

I remember him as a very versatile player. About 194 cm, played key position when required, played ruck, forward, full-back, played on the ball (ruck-rover, when that was still a position). Could play literally any position on the ground. Left North and played briefly at Melbourne and then Sydney. I read an article recently on how he had sqaundered his career through lack of application. I always thought he had so much more to offer, given his flexibility - the pre-Kouta prototype. I don't recall what club he aligned himself with, but he took full responsibility for not playing more footy. Played his best footy at North and if he'd stayed at North when we started to win more games, his versatility and up-side could have been like being given a free lotto scratchie at Christmas, the way that Martin Pike was when we picked him up for peanuts.

Nah, Dal Santo is Saint, he was a pro but collected a pay cheque and extended his career here.

You can even pick it up in a lot of his radio segments etc, regularly talks abouthis Saints time, very rarely about us. Not even sure he particularly liked how it was ended for him here either.
Dal Santo definitely a Saint. Served a purpose and won't question his professionalism, contribution and commitment to NMFC while there, but out of those we delisted at the end of 2016, his delisting upset me least. Not necessarily the club attachment, but you can replace a ball user who might go at 85% when short and sideways is still considered effective. At least he hit those more often that Sam Gibson did.

It’s funny that our best and most senior though that period probably considers himself a Docker though.
This one was definitely funny considering he was discarded by the dockers and become a 2 X premiership player, All Australian and B&F winner at North. I think he netted us 2 top ten picks when he left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back