North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the past 10 seasons North Melbourne's average ladder position is 11th (if they finish bottom this year will become 12th).

In comparison to the two teams that have received priority picks since the rule change, Brisbane's average ladder position in the 10 years prior to 2016 was 13th and Gold Coasts average was 14th since inception. In terms of finals appearances North appeared 4 finals series during this time, Brisbane 1 and Gold Coast 0.

In my opinion North are not yet at the point of needing priority assistance, 2-3 ladder positions doesn't seem like that much, though over a period of 10 years its pretty significant. Further to this both Gold Coast and Brisbane had their lists pillaged by other clubs during the inception of free agency (it could be argued North have been similarly impacted by compensation and academy picks). North have had two big cleanouts of players during this time that could of played on, opting for potential future success over club stability.

The youth on North's list is not that bad, the bigger issue is the inability to get high profile players to the club. They have the money within the cap to pay talent that can fix the list but cant convince players to join, while players are walking into Geelong for a fraction of the pay that North are offering. North are then forced to go after mid tier players that have potential but will likely just clog the list.

If based on the picks of the 2000's, North's performance over the last 2 year's certainly would entitle them to a priority pick, unfortunately Melbourne, Carlton and other clubs rorted the system and it can no longer be used. Inequity in player movements between the clubs is far a bigger issue for North than potentially getting an extra pick.

Free agency compensation picks have been another huge issue during this time. Clubs gaining a player were benefited, clubs loosing a player were for some reason compensated, but what went missing through all of this was that clubs developing their own players were constantly penalised by being shoved down the the draft order. Much the same with academy picks (and to a lesser extent father son picks which are more a tradition but have helped successful teams such as dogs, pies, cats)

It seems to me North need more assistance with their off-field than on field. Look at what the Bulldogs have been able to do with good off-field management in recent times, not so long ago the club was struggling. I'm all for better draft picks for the lower teams so they can bounce back quicker, but this seems to be fairly irrelevant when players can just jump ship to the successful teams on a whim.

If they don’t win a game, then a mid-first round pick. If they win one game, then an end of first round pick. Two wins and no PP.

GC should have theirs removed regardless of what happens the rest of the year.
No wins or 1 win start of first round
2-3 wins mid first
More than 3 wins no pick

What's a joke is we finished lower than GC in 2018, yet got nothing but Shane McAdam. They got picks 2, 3 and 6.
How is it a joke?

They got 3 as compensation for Lynch and 6 as a trade for May.

Over the past 10 seasons North Melbourne's average ladder position is 11th (if they finish bottom this year will become 12th).

In comparison to the two teams that have received priority picks since the rule change, Brisbane's average ladder position in the 10 years prior to 2016 was 13th and Gold Coasts average was 14th since inception. In terms of finals appearances North appeared 4 finals series during this time, Brisbane 1 and Gold Coast 0.

In my opinion North are not yet at the point of needing priority assistance, 2-3 ladder positions doesn't seem like that much, though over a period of 10 years its pretty significant. Further to this both Gold Coast and Brisbane had their lists pillaged by other clubs during the inception of free agency (it could be argued North have been similarly impacted by compensation and academy picks). North have had two big cleanouts of players during this time that could of played on, opting for potential future success over club stability.

The youth on North's list is not that bad, the bigger issue is the inability to get high profile players to the club. They have the money within the cap to pay talent that can fix the list but cant convince players to join, while players are walking into Geelong for a fraction of the pay that North are offering. North are then forced to go after mid tier players that have potential but will likely just clog the list.

If based on the picks of the 2000's, North's performance over the last 2 year's certainly would entitle them to a priority pick, unfortunately Melbourne, Carlton and other clubs rorted the system and it can no longer be used. Inequity in player movements between the clubs is far a bigger issue for North than potentially getting an extra pick.

Free agency compensation picks have been another huge issue during this time. Clubs gaining a player were benefited, clubs loosing a player were for some reason compensated, but what went missing through all of this was that clubs developing their own players were constantly penalised by being shoved down the the draft order. Much the same with academy picks (and to a lesser extent father son picks which are more a tradition but have helped successful teams such as dogs, pies, cats)

It seems to me North need more assistance with their off-field than on field. Look at what the Bulldogs have been able to do with good off-field management in recent times, not so long ago the club was struggling. I'm all for better draft picks for the lower teams so they can bounce back quicker, but this seems to be fairly irrelevant when players can just jump ship to the successful teams on a whim.
Good post. Our off-field management is pretty solid this year but the medical department needs a fair bit of talent/money put into it. Our injury prevention and rehab seems to be a bit of a shambles.

They’re losing, but they’ve literally lost by more than 70 points 1 time in the last 2 seasons. They aren't winning, but they are too competitive to be asking for a priority pick in my opinion. They were 12th in 2019 and 9th in 2018. Hardly rabbles until 2020.

Once they get to Gold Coast, Carlton and Melbourne’s level of the 2010s, then the AFL can consider it.
And despite how bad Carlton were we didn't get a priority pick in the 2010s. We got priority access to two mature aged players.

We didn't deserve a priority pick. We butchered the draft between 2007-2014. We deserved to be in that position because we didnt hold those responsible for drafting and development accountable for their horrible performance.

Priority picks are never the answer. In the age of future pick trading there are ways to generate bulk first round picks in a couple of drafts. In 2015, Carlton engineered pick 10 and 14 through smart trading- those picks got us McKay and Curnow.

North cannot get a priority pick. It would be outrageous. Their list is cooked because they couldn't read the tea leaves a few years ago and persisted with bringing in duds rather than investing in the draft. They avoided a rebuild until they literally had no choice.

Which was all AFL-discretion. Open your eyes bonce. The AFL will do whatever they want to prop them up.
Just like with McGrath
Um. A trade was AFL discretion?

And despite how bad Carlton were we didn't get a priority pick in the 2010s. We got priority access to two mature aged players.

We didn't deserve a priority pick. We butchered the draft between 2007-2014. We deserved to be in that position because we didnt hold those responsible for drafting and development accountable for their horrible performance.

Priority picks are never the answer. In the age of future pick trading there are ways to generate bulk first round picks in a couple of drafts. In 2015, Carlton engineered pick 10 and 14 through smart trading- those picks got us McKay and Curnow.

North cannot get a priority pick. It would be outrageous. Their list is cooked because they couldn't read the tea leaves a few years ago and persisted with bringing in duds rather than investing in the draft. They avoided a rebuild until they literally had no choice.

Whilst I tend to agree. North couldn’t afford see read the tea leaves at the time - they needed wins to survive as a club. They’ve always needed to be competitive to survive, and probably couldn’t get away with a rebuild (when it’s what they needed all along). Now is the time to rebuild. They shouldn’t get a PP yet and I doubt they will. But if they did it wouldn’t be a bad thing. There needs to be some interest created around North. They are bland.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Whilst I tend to agree. North couldn’t afford see read the tea leaves at the time - they needed wins to survive as a club. They’ve always needed to be competitive to survive, and probably couldn’t get away with a rebuild (when it’s what they needed all along). Now is the time to rebuild. They shouldn’t get a PP yet and I doubt they will. But if they did it wouldn’t be a bad thing. There needs to be some interest created around North. They are bland.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Here is where we differ. I couldn't care less about North's survival as a criteria for priority picks. You either have a priority pick policy that is fair and consistent for all clubs or you scrap them altogether. This whole 'need to keep the battlers afloat' argument is unfair and inconsistent. I didnt go through the 2010's watching my pathetic club lose week in week out with no AFL supporter to see a team have a bad couple of years get a priority pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton draft Murphy with the priority #1 pick the same amount of years after their shenanigans as Essendon took McGrath.

Educate yourself stooge.

Goodbye.
Lol. The players were banned from playing in 2016, and you got pick 1 in 2016 + 10 bonus mature age picks.

Get educated yourself.

It was always manufactured you would finish last in the year you would get pick 1. It's a farce you received it.

Interesting username, you’ve probably got grounds to change it after the whole Tunisia revaluation..

But it sounds like you’ve got pent up misdirected anger here. I’m not sure what Carlton’s wasting of draft picks has to do with the current situation.

Lol. 2 is defs off the cards.
Being issued all at once GC style? Absolutely not a chance of happening even if we won 0 games. The slimmest of slim chances we end up with a PP two years in a row if we eat s**t again next year though.

But all that is putting the cart before the horse. Hell we don't even know how we'll finish this year off if and when we get some of our senior players back, for all I know we kick arse in more than a handful of games once we have the likes of Tarrant, Anderson, Corr, Polec, and Dumont taking key posts again. The list has a lot of upside if not for our injury crisis. It's more than just the sum of the parts too, I think too much is generally being left to too few and that with more senior bodies a few more of the younger guys who stay in the side might find their statlines trending upwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back