Game Day North Melbourne v fre0 @ Perth Stadium. or possibly Cockburn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Trying to grow grass in a desert not working much goodly. May be a change of venue. Either way, bring sandshoes.

Alex Pearce and Jy Simpkin will be part of a significant moment in the game’s history on Saturday. Only once before have two First Nations players captained opposing AFL sides. The proud Indigenous men will, however, mark the first time that two anointed captains have led two opposing teams.

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson is bracing his team for a fierce response from Nat Fyfe in Saturday’s AFL clash with Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

Fyfe starred as a permanent forward during the pre-season, but his round-one display in last week’s 15-point loss to St Kilda led to a wave of criticism.

The two-time Brownlow medallist looked lost at times on the way to gathering just nine disposals to go with his solitary behind.

North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein was overlooked in the season opener in favour of Tristan Xerri.

But Xerri’s serious ankle injury means Goldstein will now be thrust back into the lead ruck role for the foreseeable future.

“It wasn’t like he (Goldstein) was in terrible form, we just decided to go in with one ruckman rather than two,” Clarkson said.

“We’re so fortunate with big X going out injured that we’ve got Goldy in the wings there that’s waiting to come in.”

We win this then we only have to win half the remaining games to make the finals.

Go Roos

Trying to grow grass in a desert not working much goodly. May be a change of venue. Either way, bring sandshoes.

Alex Pearce and Jy Simpkin will be part of a significant moment in the game’s history on Saturday. Only once before have two First Nations players captained opposing AFL sides. The proud Indigenous men will, however, mark the first time that two anointed captains have led two opposing teams.

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson is bracing his team for a fierce response from Nat Fyfe in Saturday’s AFL clash with Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

Fyfe starred as a permanent forward during the pre-season, but his round-one display in last week’s 15-point loss to St Kilda led to a wave of criticism.

The two-time Brownlow medallist looked lost at times on the way to gathering just nine disposals to go with his solitary behind.

North Melbourne ruckman Todd Goldstein was overlooked in the season opener in favour of Tristan Xerri.

But Xerri’s serious ankle injury means Goldstein will now be thrust back into the lead ruck role for the foreseeable future.

“It wasn’t like he (Goldstein) was in terrible form, we just decided to go in with one ruckman rather than two,” Clarkson said.

“We’re so fortunate with big X going out injured that we’ve got Goldy in the wings there that’s waiting to come in.”

We win this then we only have to win half the remaining games to make the finals.

Go Roos
Great OP for a game day thread. Last weeks was s**t.
Love the game preview commentary, just needs some last time they met stats, a weather forecast & the ins & outs for both sides & we are back on track.

Cheers andana & go Roos!

It's definitely possible based on last week's results, but gee Freo would be burning and it is at their home ground (what a ground...).

Pass mark for me is for us not to get smashed, and to have a few long stretches of play where out gameplan has ascendance, even if it doesn't translate into heavy scoring.

The weather is very unperth like at the minute.
Raining a bit but still quite warm.
More like QLD.
Not sure who that favours.
We need to attack and get the scoreboard moving. Freo don't have that many weapons forward.
We score 80 - 90 points we will be very close to winning.
Scored above 80 only 3 times last year! Was one of the things that made last week's score of 87 so satisfying.

80-90 points in QLD esque weather. Against one of the best backlines in the business. In Perth. This is the place for optimism, no doubt, but that's Kool Aid territory. If we're to win, we win in St Kilda fashion.

Don't get smashed (ie. under 50 points), keep fighting till the siren for Ronald, minimal injury on that monstrosity of a surface, further signs from Chomben, Goater, Bergs and co., and that'll do me fine

We would have to be at least reasonably likely this week based on a good pressure win, contributions across the board, and actually turning up with a FF CHF and a CHB
they have ritually slaughtered us for a few years, last years insipid effort being everything pathetic over 3 years encapsulated in that single game
LDU had 1 clearance , 1 goal after halftime
most teams have just stopped larkey and cunners and kept an eye on LDU and Zurhaar, no one else was dangerous
given Larkey and cunners didn’t play that sure did not help

Freo, great defence but pretty big boys, maybe too big
2 big ruckman, and trying Fyfe as a forward
well we know a bit about ageing stars, good luck with that

we have toughened up
if we can keep chom Hugh G Shiels and Curtis playing hard footy plus cam Luke JZ and kanye that will make a big difference to the soft crap we have dished up recently
10 changes from last contest, most for the better
insane dropping Phillips who was our best mid in the final pressure qtr but what do I know
Roos by 23

Missed the first round due to being overseas and was jealous of everyone there at Marvel who will one day say they saw the Sheeze play his very first game...by then that lowly 20k will have grown to a respectable 60k and that will placate the haters.
This week it seems like a whole new generation North. Something has happened. I can feel it, and it doesn't feel like preliminary finals are going to be good enough this time around.
Last time I looked, Bergman was a twig getting snapped in half up the Lockett end and Goater was to Bonar like McGill was to Warnie, but now they seem like two locks in a hard creative back 6.
It used to seem important that Stephenson fulfilled his potential, now it's whatevs... practice your bunny hop over the coffee cart if you want to because theres plenty others to take your spot.
I used to get more anxiety watching Chom than enjoyment, like every highlight was stealing from a future fund of misfortune that would need to be paid back with interest. Proper Keating style interest too. Now it's like, throw him in the ruck for a half. Wtf? And he kills it?
Cunners is there and it's like ho hum not even a massive deal. Talk about Fyfe being well suited to ending up forward, I can see our humble master kicking 6. So many great forwards have that great ass movement which sounds weird but you know what I mean.
We might get beat today, I don't care I just can't wait to sit down and watch my first game of the year.
And on being overseas, how unreal is it when the someone hears your accent and says, so ya follow the footy? Yeah North Mel...and you see their eyes light up before you even finish and it's like a brotherhood say no more.

Geez our last 3 games against them doesn't make for happy reading. We owe them one. An upset win over there would really set the tone for the season.

Last edited:
If we win the lid is off

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there been any update on the ground today?

Its a disgrace that round 2 and the turf is in this state.

You’re right GR if someone does a knee tonight it will be on for young & old.

Freo by 8 points as we run out of steam late in the 4th..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back