Official Off-Season Thread 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Why leave when he can wait a year for Lebron to leave and then become the focus point while earning 200+mil
LeBron would be leaving Kyrie a team that was built to suit LeBron's ball dominant skillset as well as the fact that he's helped overpaid above average (think Shumpert, Tristan, JR, etc...) players that leave Gilbert with very little cap space to improve it significantly in the near future.

It's a dog's breakfast that LeBron would be leaving but he will own none of it and try to pass on the blame onto others like always does.

Why leave when he can wait a year for Lebron to leave and then become the focus point while earning 200+mil

Because Lebron has F*ed up the team around him. If Lebron walks next year he leaves Cleveland with a bunch of overpriced role players and no young pieces - a position they are in purely because of Lebron. (And hey - they won a ring, it probably is worth it).

I think Kyrie can read the writing on the wall - where he ends up, and how he handles it will determine how I view him. Whether he decides to join another young superstar (Kawhi) and try to be part of a dominant system over an extended period of time, or whether he wants to go somewhere new and just be a big fish, small pond player, he needs to own it and like a Harden or a Westbrook (both post-Durant) he needs to show that he can consistently be that dominant offensive player that he wants to be. If he goes somewhere new and continues to bicker with his teammates, coach, GM - then thats on him, and might as well be the next D-rose.

Except he isn't.

Thomas is much better off the ball, runs the pick and roll better and is more efficient scoring the basketball.

I'm well aware of the flaws of Thomas as the number one guy too.

Kyrie's probably an even worse defender when you consider that Kyrie is the perfect size for a point guard.

You're all happy to bash Thomas for not being suited as a number one guy. The only thing that works against him is his height.

Kyrie's actual game isn't suited yet people seemingly ignore that. We're not in the iso heavy NBA anymore.

Kyrie Irving:
25.2 PPG
3.2 RPG
5.8 APG
.53 eFG%

Isaiah Thomas:
28.9 PPG
2.7 RPG
5.9 APG
.54 eFG%

Boston should throw Jaylen Brown and a future top 3 pick in the deal though because height.

Spurs signed Gasol to a 3 year deal

HAHAHFHAADHAHAHAHAHAHFAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nooooooooooo.
But lets wait for the actual details before judging.

I still have no idea why we gave him the 2nd year on the contract last off-season (Unless there was another suitor throwing big money at him) - but to get him to agree to decline his $16m option this year was a good move cap-wise, though was always gonna mean we end up taking a smaller, but longer, hit.

I was expecting something like a 2yr $18-20m contract. So I'm hoping that this is now something like 3yrs in the $20-24m range (and the 3rd yr is reportedly partially garaunteed). I actually think that sort of salary is pretty fair for Pau, and wouldn't be too hard to move in 12 months time if he's only on $6-8m per.

But if its anything over $30m over the 3 years then that would be a massive mistake, unless we have some serious plans for that extra cap space this year.( Find a way to offload LMA for Kyrie and all is bright again)

Because Lebron has F*ed up the team around him. If Lebron walks next year he leaves Cleveland with a bunch of overpriced role players and no young pieces - a position they are in purely because of Lebron. (And hey - they won a ring, it probably is worth it).

I think Kyrie can read the writing on the wall - where he ends up, and how he handles it will determine how I view him. Whether he decides to join another young superstar (Kawhi) and try to be part of a dominant system over an extended period of time, or whether he wants to go somewhere new and just be a big fish, small pond player, he needs to own it and like a Harden or a Westbrook (both post-Durant) he needs to show that he can consistently be that dominant offensive player that he wants to be. If he goes somewhere new and continues to bicker with his teammates, coach, GM - then thats on him, and might as well be the next D-rose.
LeBron hasn't ****ed the team at all. They merely went all out to contend. That's what contenders do. There's rarely a contender that has some sort of great future to look forward to.

This team is still easily the second best in the league. Golden State merely has made things completely unbalanced and the Cavs have become all reactionary and disjointed as a result.

You don't have young pieces as a contender. It's simply not how it works.

Who the **** is that tosser?

giphy.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well the Cavs have done nothing this off-season and thats probably played a part in Kyries decision to leave. Cavs needed 1 more star to compete with GSW but havent made a move.

BTW, just hand GSW next years championship on a silver platter. Unless Spurs get something to compliment Leonard the Warriors are going to destroy everyone in their path.

Feel sorry for Cavs fans right now. Team imploding and all hope of keeping it together seems lost

well the Cavs have done nothing this off-season and thats probably played a part in Kyries decision to leave. Cavs needed 1 more star to compete with GSW but havent made a move.

BTW, just hand GSW next years championship on a silver platter. Unless Spurs get something to compliment Leonard the Warriors are going to destroy everyone in their path.

Feel sorry for Cavs fans right now. Team imploding and all hope of keeping it together seems lost
What were the Cavs meant to do?

People need to realise the Warriors are an insanely rare collection of talent that is impossible to match. Building or adding to your team to match with them simply isn't possible due to cap restrictions. The only hope is drafting a stacked team.

Exactly what I was thinking

God Michael Rappaport is an absolute flog and this is coming from a knicks fan

The campaigner is absolutely irrelevant and has to stick his nose in everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back