Official Trade Period Discussion 2012 Thread (#3)

Remove this Banner Ad

So Saints are still into Brown.

We rejected the idea of Cripps being involved in the deal. Saints also chasing Hickey.
The Saints offered a lucrative 4 year deal to Brown which was accepted.

Pick 13 - Brown
Pick 25 - Hickey

I'm not saying that will happen but you would think if 25 is used for Hickey then it's only 13 left for Brown. We won't accept 25 obviously.

Should be a interesting last week. Apparently we feel like we can get Cripps via the draft anyway.

If you look at the afl web site today you can see that monday - thursday is only 3-5pm, and friday is all day.

I think they must have changed at as they arent expecting much to occur during the week.

Or they can't be Stuffed Doing it

So Saints are still into Brown.

We rejected the idea of Cripps being involved in the deal. Saints also chasing Hickey.
The Saints offered a lucrative 4 year deal to Brown which was accepted.

Pick 13 - Brown
Pick 25 - Hickey

I'm not saying that will happen but you would think if 25 is used for Hickey then it's only 13 left for Brown. We won't accept 25 obviously.

Should be a interesting last week. Apparently we feel like we can get Cripps via the draft anyway.
the afl should come down heavily on the saints if they have made a big offer to Brown. He's a contracted player who has not been given permission (to my understanding) by the Eagle to talk to the Saints. It's not a practice the AFL should be encouraging. Very unsettling

This rubbish will come back to bite west coast.. And u have to feel sorry for Gold Coast, who is running that club? Are they really going to have mcqualter and murphy on their list next year.. Gws are years ahead of those jokers already.

This rubbish will come back to bite west coast.. And u have to feel sorry for Gold Coast, who is running that club? Are they really going to have mcqualter and murphy on their list next year.. Gws are years ahead of those jokers already.

Sorry but why is this?

You mean by not accepting what we deem to be a bad offer for a contracted player?

Stuff West Coast they'll get what's coming to them when Brown walks to the draft next year.

But Gold Coast will crack on Hickey eventually.

You realise we have no obligations to trade a player ever. Let him walk, you think you are guaranteed to get him? I don't.

You actually think we are worried about that?

the afl should come down heavily on the saints if they have made a big offer to Brown. He's a contracted player who has not been given permission (to my understanding) by the Eagle to talk to the Saints. It's not a practice the AFL should be encouraging. Very unsettling

Mate, you have to be kidding? I can guarantee every club in the AFL has talked to and probably offered contracts to contracted players from another club, including West Coast. You are completely naive otherwise.

If you look at the afl web site today you can see that monday - thursday is only 3-5pm, and friday is all day.

I think they must have changed at as they arent expecting much to occur during the week.

Thanks God, imagine what all day blithering about nothing happening would sound like. Damo tossing up rumours and sucking up to The List Manager, The List Manager dispensing more wisdom about how all clubs could be better run, managers lining up to flog their players' interests, footy managers being caught and saying as little as possible. It's been hard enough for them to get through two hours a day, even with lots of ads.

Mate, you have to be kidding? I can guarantee every club in the AFL has talked to and probably offered contracts to contracted players from another club, including West Coast. You are completely naive otherwise.

Very true.

Didn't the AFL recently come out and say deals can't be done during the year, or outside of trade time? Can't remember exactly.

I would think the Saints started speaking to Brown's management during this time.

You realise we have no obligations to trade a player ever. Let him walk, you think you are guaranteed to get him? I don't.

You actually think we are worried about that?

So you won't play him, but won't let him leave? Keeping him in a state away from home floundering in your reserves comp. You can let him go a year early and get something for it and you'd rather lose him a year later for nothing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you won't play him, but won't let him leave? Keeping him in a state away from home floundering in your reserves comp. You can let him go a year early and get something for it and you'd rather lose him a year later for nothing?

If he stays with us then he will get game time next year. Actually we plan on offering him a new contract.

If he stays with us then he will get game time next year. Actually we plan on offering him a new contract.

I'm sure that will be great comfort when he's standing at full back in the WAFL in front of a man and his dog while the Saints are playing a Victorian rival like Collingwood and he wonders what if?

I for one, and it's not an uncommon view amongst Eagles supporters would rather keep him as our window is open next year, though if Glass or McKenzie went down we'd be stuffed without Brown. So why jeopardise a potential flag tilt for pick 25+? Especially when he may stay with us after next season if Glass is done and we are still thereabouts for a flag while you guys are still working out how to get into the 8

Give us 13 and we have to at least think about it though.

I'm sure that will be great comfort when he's standing at full back in the WAFL in front of a man and his dog while the Saints are playing a Victorian rival like Collingwood and he wonders what if?

It's all very speculative isn't it?

Isn't he a RFA next year? Not only would we have yet another chance to keep him by offering him a contract (which we want to do), but we'd be compensated for his loss by the AFL. Considering the shitfight that has gone on this year, our reluctance to let him go, and the games we're likely to give him next year, I daresay we'll get better compo from the AFL next year than from your club.

Actually mate you only really got Mooney out of that one. The other pick you got was 15, which you used on David Spriggs. But you still won the trade

We also picked up Corey Enright with pick 47, which was given to us by North as part of the trade. Ironically it was 15 as you say that turned out to be the dud

I agree that it is likely.

The other side of the fence:

It's September, and Brown has played out a tough year with the Saints who have continued their fall.

The Eagles are in the finals, although one of Mackenzie/Glass/Schofield is one the sidelines, injured. Brown is wondering if he has given up his chance to play in a flag, unsure if the saints will get back in the 8 while he is still around.

Whilst my scenario is possible, the fact that Brown is aware of this risk and is willing to take it probably means it isn't too much to worry about.

Isn't he a RFA next year? Not only would we have yet another chance to keep him by offering him a contract (which we want to do), but we'd be compensated for his loss by the AFL. Considering the shitfight that has gone on this year, our reluctance to let him go, and the games we're likely to give him next year, I daresay we'll get better compo from the AFL next year than from your club.

Nope.

It's September, and Brown has played out a tough year with the Saints who have continued their fall.

The Eagles are in the finals, although one of Mackenzie/Glass/Schofield is one the sidelines, injured. Brown is wondering if he has given up his chance to play in a flag, unsure if the saints will get back in the 8 while he is still around.

Whilst my scenario is possible, the fact that Brown is aware of this risk and is willing to take it probably means it isn't too much to worry about.

I'd say a chance to get consistent gametime is what every struggling player wants, it's not worth banking your career on the body stability of another player when there are chances somewhere else.

Suma Magic,

If you're a marginal player, and not on very good money, the $2k a game or so in match fees is a decent chunk of your total earnings.

I wouldnt blame any player to go where he thinks he's going to get a regular game.

Suma Magic,

If you're a marginal player, and not on very good money, the $2k a game or so in match fees is a decent chunk of your total earnings.

I wouldnt blame any player to go where he thinks he's going to get a regular game.

I agree. I don't blame him.

Although I also I agree with the Eagles' decision of not jeopardising our chances of winning a flag next year.

If he wants to go next year we have shown time and time again we are very happy to help our players get to where they want to go, even if that means accepting unders.

The AFL wont give a stuff about the shitfight happening on Bigfooty if thats the one your talking about. Lets hope your not.:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back