News Oh wow, oh heavy, heavy, heavy - Lachie Neale trade thread (5, 19 & 55 for Neale & 30)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wrote a Haiku poem about your suggested trade.

No no no no no
No no no no no no no
No no no no no

I know I have used this joke before, but I thought it was worth reusing.
Haikus traditionally include a kigo, a seasonal reference.

With that in mind,

No no no no no
No no no no no no no
No no no natsu.

Well given next years is likely to be somewhere between pick 2 and 6 again, we might as well fold if we do that because we'll be going nowhere if we start giving up multiple top 5 picks for a very good 25yo midfielder. Hopefully common sense prevails.

Personally I'd love to take 5 to the draft and get a Rankine or Smith and offer Neale the same contract next year as a RFA

Yes two top five picks for Neale is way overs when it would cost us nothing next year. I'm okay with pick 5 for Neale but won't be too upset if it falls over and we draft Smith instead.

I find the NGA a joke that indigenous players qualify, or am I missing something.

Wasn't the NGA only reserved for players from multicultural backgrounds or those not following a traditional footy pathway? How do indigenous players then qualify?

Not sure but you wouldn't think the brother of an AFL player would qualify.

Yes two top five picks for Neale is way overs when it would cost us nothing next year. I'm okay with pick 5 for Neale but won't be too upset if it falls over and we draft Smith instead.

Not sure but you wouldn't think the brother of an AFL player would qualify.

All I remember is how (some, not all) Norf supporters threw a fit about how Blakey shouldn’t be eligible to the Sydney academy. Just because they have family ties does not guarantee them an AFL career. Remember, Casey Voss will most likely not be picked up even though his father is an all-time great. These players may not be able to make it to an AFL level without the academy, and that’s the point of it. This isn’t going against you, just a general statement.

Posturing I think.

Neale came and visited Brisbane, we met with Freo on day one and their story is changing each time they speak. I reckon they’re pushing hard to get us to budge early because they want to move on with Hogan and Lobb.

Remember in 2014 when Collingwood leaked to Damian Barrett that GWS might be interested in getting Beams to pair him Heath Shaw and that they would be happy to trade Beams for Treloar? Good times.

FWIW, the Trade Table panel all said pick 5 by itself was all Brisbane should have to give up for Neale; nothing more and further that we shouldn't have to pay any more for him.

Whilst I think pick 5 is too high a price to pay, I can understand why we'd pay that price, but agree that we shouldn't have to pay a thing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW, the Trade Table panel all said pick 5 by itself was all Brisbane should have to give up for Neale; nothing more and further that we shouldn't have to pay any more for him.

Whilst I think pick 5 is too high a price to pay, I can understand why we'd pay that price, but agree that we shouldn't have to pay a thing more.
Just can't understand why they would say pick 5 would be fine considering they would likely get a pick in the top 5 anyway for next year.

Last week I was all next week is trade week so it’s gunna get interesting. This week it’s next week is the end of trade week so it’s gunna get interesting.

And right now I’m posting crap cause I’m bored. I reckon trade week should be three days where clubs are all in one room with five minute one on one speed talk sessions followed by all clubs at once debates sessions. And televise it like they do for parliament question time. Couple of drinks and soft things to throw at the tv and it could be fun.

You think pick 5 is too high?
:eek:

Dodongo's take on Neale not going to the media is he wants to keep on the downlow in case they refuse to deal and he has to walk into pre season training with his tail between his legs. Makes it much easier to front the playing group in that scenario and makes it easier on Brisbane to get a deal done.

Except negligently overpaying which some seem to suggest we do, which is just crazy talk, and I seriously hope Noble doesn’t given he has form at both Brisbane and Adelaide of doing.

Does he though? Which of nobles trades at Adelaide and Brisbane do you consider he paid overs for? This seems to be an oft sprouted line but looking at them I'm not really seeing it. A list of the ones you consider to be overs vs how many he's done would be good to see and would show if this is just another baseless narrative or one that's actually accurate

Last week I was all next week is trade week so it’s gunna get interesting. This week it’s next week is the end of trade week so it’s gunna get interesting.

And right now I’m posting crap cause I’m bored. I reckon trade week should be three days where clubs are all in one room with five minute one on one speed talk sessions followed by all clubs at once debates sessions. And televise it like they do for parliament question time. Couple of drinks and soft things to throw at the tv and it could be fun.
Totally agree. The more time they, the more club's use the media to posture over trades. Now that players are meeting club's before trade week and club's are working out deals before trade week there is no reason to shorten this whole thing down to 3 or 4 days and televise it. Would great viewing

I find the NGA a joke that indigenous players qualify, or am I missing something.

Wasn't the NGA only reserved for players from multicultural backgrounds or those not following a traditional footy pathway? How do indigenous players then qualify?
No.

Indigenous kids were always part of the original NGA set up when it was established.

I'm not going to argue if indigenous kids should have been included or not, but when the NGA academies were set up, part of their remit was to offer more support to kids from indigenous communities, as some are perceived to face different cultural difficulties when moving away from their communities to play AFL.

I know from reading the Lions forum, there have been discussions in the past of indigenous players that have left the professional game due to not being able to cope with the professional nature of the sport and distance from their communities.

We have praised the work Bundy has done with the club in this sphere. But such work also needs to filter down to junior development.

I have more of an issue with how the NGA rules are being applied to kids from "immigrant" backgrounds that have grown up following and playing the the sport from a young age. The southern clubs are not attracting new kids and families to the sport. They are making use of a loophole to pull kids out of the main draft pool.

There is one kid this year who qualifies because his mother immigrated from South Africa, but married an Australian. Because the kid has one parent born overseas from an African nation, he qualifies under NGA rules. Oh, his mother immigrated when she was 3.

If the NGA academies had been brought in a year earlier, McGrath would have qualified as an NGA kid, as his parents come from Canada.

Most clubs are not going out and trying to grow the game amongst migrant communities. Instead they hold yearly talent identification trials, where they ask kids come to them.

If I were Freo, and resigned to losing Neale while looking to land Hogan, I'd be keeping the Neale deal under wraps too. Publicly accepting Neale going weakens their negotiations with Melbourne, in my opinion. With Neale out the door;
  1. Melbourne can assume Freo will be even hungrier for Hogan ( the more desperate they are the weaker they are at the table).
  2. Melbourne would also know what currency Freo have from the Neale trade and can demand more.
By keeping the Neale deal an uncertainty, if Melbourne want to get a deal done, they have to be more accepting of what's on offer (which currently does not include pick 5).
I think the terms of the Hogan trade will be agreed to before the Neale trade is done or even acknowledged by Freo as likely (though they may be forced by Melbourne to go out and get that pick 5 to make it happen). It will be a matter of whether Melbourne or Freo cave in for that trade for the Neale one to be acknowledged, but Freo already know they are giving up Neale for 5 (plus steak knives).

Point is, don't expect an announcement on Neale until the Hogan one is done or falls over first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back