Order the Round 1 games as to how they interest you

Remove this Banner Ad

I did a tour of it on Sunday and have been to the ODI and NRL Double Header, it's unlike any stadium I've ever been to before and some of the stuff thats behind the scenes there is absolutely mind blowing.

Depends how you describe best, it is a magnificent new stadium with all the mod cons. But the best is in the eye of the beholder. I love going to the MCG for footy and I think going to the SCG for cricket is brilliant. Not been to the redeveloped AO as yet but hear that is great.

Depends how you describe best, it is a magnificent new stadium with all the mod cons. But the best is in the eye of the beholder. I love going to the MCG for footy and I think going to the SCG for cricket is brilliant. Not been to the redeveloped AO as yet but hear that is great.
I've been to the MCG and it was a fantastic experience, but I find that the seats up the back are too far away for cricket.

Compared to Optus where I sat on level 1 at deep mid on, square leg and on level 5 at square leg, I had no issues with the viewing at all.

I've been to the MCG and it was a fantastic experience, but I find that the seats up the back are too far away for cricket.

Compared to Optus where I sat on level 1 at deep mid on, square leg and on level 5 at square leg, I had no issues with the viewing at all.
Optus Stadium does only have half a top level. Not sure on exact figures but I’m sure the MCG has at least 60k with a view that matches what you’re talking about. Up the top it’s a long way away (especially in the ponsford stand), but its 40k seats that Optus Stadium doesn’t even have. I’m sure if the top deck went up far enough to match the MCGs capacity, there’d a be a few that seem too far away.

1 - West Coast vs. Sydney
One of the most bitter rivalries of the modern era to open the best stadium in the country. West Coast also debuting their new logo and jumper under lights, and playing in full royal against the Swans. Expecting West Coast to put up a brave fight when the majority of people have them as the underdogs.
2 - GWS vs. Western Bulldogs
A fixture which has started to develop some history in recent years, will be a good test for both sides, with the Bulldogs looking to push back up the ladder following their premiership hangover and the Giants looking to reinforce the thought that they'll be one of the teams to beat this season.
3 - Melbourne vs. Geelong
2 teams looking to redeem themselves after missed opportunities in 2017. Fingers crossed Ablett recovers for this one so we can see the holy trinity of Selwood, Ablett and Dangerfield take the field together. Also excited to see what this promising Melbourne line-up can bring to the table.
4 - Essendon vs. Adelaide
Essendon will be wanting to push even further following their 2017 resurgence. Adelaide will still have open wounds after not turning up on grand final day, should be a good contest.
5 - Port Adelaide vs Fremantle
2 teams that I'm not sure about heading into 2018. Port will be wanting to put in a strong performance to try and shake off the 'pretender' tag that many
gave them in 2017, Fremantle have looked positive throughout preseason and will be looking for big seasons from Nat Fyfe and Cam McCarthy to help push them back up the ladder.
6 - Hawthorn vs. Collingwood
Two of the AFL's fallen giants in 2017, should be an intense contest as these two teams look to move back up the right end of the ladder.
7 - Richmond vs. Carlton
Will be good to see the premiers in action first up in 2018, and see a packed out MCG for game 1, however that's where my interest ends. Expecting close to a 3 figure margin for this one.
8 - St. Kilda vs. Brisbane
Brisbane will likely struggle this year with the departure of Tom Rockliff, expecting an easy win for the Saints in this one.
9 - Gold Coast vs. North Melbourne
Battle for the spoon, not expecting fireworks from either side.

You’re probably right, but I don’t think it would be as bad as at the G. The slope of the seating bowl at Optus is much steeper than the MCG from what I can remember, so the seats would likely be higher up but not as far back which would made for better viewing IMO

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’re probably right, but I don’t think it would be as bad as at the G. The slope of the seating bowl at Optus is much steeper than the MCG from what I can remember, so the seats would likely be higher up but not as far back which would made for better viewing IMO

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think you meant to quote me:p

Somethings not right. No anxiety, worries or anticipation for the start of the season. It's never happened before. In some ways I hope Carlton shock Richmond in the first game only to bring me back to my senses.

For the first half before the Tiges cruise to a 5 goal win in a valiant display by the Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Somethings not right. No anxiety, worries or anticipation for the start of the season. It's never happened before. In some ways I hope Carlton shock Richmond in the first game only to bring me back to my senses.

For the first half before the Tiges cruise to a 5 goal win in a valiant display by the Blues.
It’s amazing what a premiership can do isn’t it? I’m the same, no nerves whatsoever just really excited to see the flag raised and the premiers kick off the season with a big win. Even if the unimaginable happened somehow I’d just go home and watch the grand final again haha.

It’s amazing what a premiership can do isn’t it? I’m the same, no nerves whatsoever just really excited to see the flag raised and the premiers kick off the season with a big win. Even if the unimaginable happened somehow I’d just go home and watch the grand final again haha.
That's what I felt throughout early last year. We won the flag so I could sit back and enjoy football without stressing too much and fall back on the grand final if it wasn't going to plan. I lasted until about half way through the year and my stress levels were through the roof once again.

That's what I felt throughout early last year. We won the flag so I could sit back and enjoy football without stressing too much and fall back on the grand final if it wasn't going to plan. I lasted until about half way through the year and my stress levels were through the roof once again.
Yeah no doubt I’ll still want us to win and feel nervous about results however at least now we have the premiership to look back on. A lot different to the feeling after our 3 elimination final losses were the pain of defeat was unbearable.

1. Richmond vs. Carlton - I think like most people, I'm just keen for footy to come back. Have got soft sides for both teams because of family. Generally a ripper, high scoring, close game no matter where either respective team is on the ladder.

2. GWS. vs. Western Bulldogs - Probably the best quality game of the week, with both sides in my opinion gunning for a finals spot.

3. West Coast vs. Sydney - Pretty keen to see that new stadium debut properly. Also interested to see how WCE go in the season proper without their retired stars.

4. St. Kilda vs. Brisbane - Again, soft spot for both teams due to family. I want St. Kilda to make the 8 this year, but can't quite see it eventuating. Expecting Brisbane to make somewhat of a steady rise and probably leapfrog GC, North and Carlton especially with the addition of Cameron, Hodge, Rayner, etc and another preseason into their young list.

5. Hawthorn vs. Collingwood - Can't particularly see either team making the 8. Similar to the Dogs/GWS game, it should be a relatively even match-up on paper.

6. Port Adelaide vs. Fremantle - I mean, they do both have some decent midfields, but overall just not an extremely appealing match.

7. Essendon vs. Adelaide - Hate Essendon with a passion, will be of interest if Adelaide flogs them by 10+ goals.

8. Gold Coast vs. North Melbourne - The Izak Rankine Cup will be interesting. As much as I'd prefer GC to win, I think North might edge them out due to Hanley's injury.

BEST: Richmond - Carlton is the game of the round for me. Richmond unveiling the flag, Carlton trying to spoil the party. Lots of people there making a great atmosphere for the start of the year. Healthy rivalry from being a permanent fixture despite our teams being s**t at some point. Such a great game, what's not to love?

HONOURABLE MENTION: Melbourne - Geelong is the other interesting game. I think for me, most Geelong games are going to be sexy this year to watch the Ablett/Dangerfield/Selwood trio just rip teams apart. Harken back to the Judd/Cousins/Kerr days, when those 3 would just put their team on their backs and will their teams to wins. Going to be fun.

WORST: Gold Coast - North; Brisbane - St Kilda. Really the 4 meh teams in the league (add Freo too). Boring AF. Guess North have Ben Brown but otherwise no reason to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back