Oppo Camp Other Club News/General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez, when Richmond go bad, they go very bad. Their bad is just about as bad as it gets. They might even be ‘badder’ than Carlton at its worst, and that’s saying something.

To be fair, they have a fairly horrendous injury list, combined with learning a new game style/plan can't possibly help.

You never know, there's probably a LOT of players at that club feeling somewhat abandoned too?

How many players at Richmond do you reckon either re-signed or went there because of Dimma? Or promises made by Dimma? Now he just up and left them. Gale just up and left them.

They're human beings. I can totally understand a lot of Richmond players (particularly the older ones) feeling disillusioned and defeated. You're then also throwing inexperienced kids to the wolves in KEY roles thanks to the injury toll which is then further denting their confidence and it all combines to look like a recipe for disaster to me.

Yet, despite all of that? They beat Sydney, should have beat Carlton and St.Kilda.

I'm happy giving Richmond a mulligan this year before writing them off as a club completely.

But if we see this kind of performance next year too? With a (hopefully for them) better injury list? Sure, they're done for some time.

I think the real test for Richmond will be when:

• Dusty leaves/retires most likely this year
  • Grimes retires most likely this year
  • Lynch retires most likely this year or next
  • Liam Baker goes to West Coast

Bolton is a fantastic player when he's on and playing with confidence. But he's a little bit of a downhill skier if we're being honest so that's when I think there'll be cause for concern.

Bolton right now at Collingwood would be something else.

All this fuss about the Cameron incident.

He said he was right to go on and watching the footage there was no obvious indication that he briefly lost consciousness immediately on impact and as far as I know he didn't stumble to his knees etc in the proceeding minutes. It wasn't remotely close to the incident of Aliir Alirr.

As we know now he's been ruled out due to delayed symptoms so the system is working as intended.

Football is a contact sport and if you want that to continue the usual suspects in the media need to stop wanting to rule out players the moment any knock to the head occurs.

If not obviously impaired surely an adult still has some agency over their own health and body out on a football ground.

To be fair, they have a fairly horrendous injury list, combined with learning a new game style/plan can't possibly help.

You never know, there's probably a LOT of players at that club feeling somewhat abandoned too?

How many players at Richmond do you reckon either re-signed or went there because of Dimma? Or promises made by Dimma? Now he just up and left them. Gale just up and left them.

They're human beings. I can totally understand a lot of Richmond players (particularly the older ones) feeling disillusioned and defeated. You're then also throwing inexperienced kids to the wolves in KEY roles thanks to the injury toll which is then further denting their confidence and it all combines to look like a recipe for disaster to me.

Yet, despite all of that? They beat Sydney, should have beat Carlton and St.Kilda.

I'm happy giving Richmond a mulligan this year before writing them off as a club completely.

But if we see this kind of performance next year too? With a (hopefully for them) better injury list? Sure, they're done for some time.

I think the real test for Richmond will be when:

• Dusty leaves/retires most likely this year
  • Grimes retires most likely this year
  • Lynch retires most likely this year or next
  • Liam Baker goes to West Coast

Bolton is a fantastic player when he's on and playing with confidence. But he's a little bit of a downhill skier if we're being honest so that's when I think there'll be cause for concern.

Bolton right now at Collingwood would be something else.
Derek Hine loved Bolton his draft year and I think we missed him by 1 picking Sam McClarty the pick after him! The Vickery compensation pick.

The media really loves to get carried away with declaring sides contenders/finished don't they?

Now it seems to be all about Essendon.

For reference, this was the ladder at Round SEVENTEEN last year:

View attachment 1987884

Reckon they need to just cool their jets a little. Particularly given that this season appears like it's going to be even more even.

Hmmm, is this the same Essendon who came within an umpire’s reversal in the last minute to draw with WCE <Checks fixture> only one round ago?

Hmmm, is this the same Essendon who came within an umpire’s reversal in the last minute to draw with WCE <Checks fixture> only one round ago?

Robbo is as we speak giving congratulations to Brad Scott and everyone at the club

Did they win the flag and we missed it? Lol

All this fuss about the Cameron incident.

He said he was right to go on and watching the footage there was no obvious indication that he briefly lost consciousness immediately on impact and as far as I know he didn't stumble to his knees etc in the proceeding minutes. It wasn't remotely close to the incident of Aliir Alirr.

As we know now he's been ruled out due to delayed symptoms so the system is working as intended.

Football is a contact sport and if you want that to continue the usual suspects in the media need to stop wanting to rule out players the moment any knock to the head occurs.

If not obviously impaired surely an adult still has some agency over their own health and body out on a football ground.
I think most on here including myself were just querying if the initial assessment should have been done off field and whether we have the protocols right. The media no doubt found their talking point and ran with it as usual.

Gary Lyon is an idiot.
Trying to compare HIA with hamstring injury.
Oh, with a hammy you are taken off straight away for assessment, but in the Cameron incident he was assessed on the ground.
Oh Gary. Do you not understand that a hammy injury stops you competing at 100% so you are a liability to the team. A head injury is not immediately apparent and all four limbs are generally working. So you are not a liability.
That’s why a hammy goes off and a head knock stays on. Not because of care for the player, but for impact on field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most on here including myself were just querying if the initial assessment should have been done off field and whether we have the protocols right. The media no doubt found their talking point and ran with it as usual.

My post wasn't in relation to any poster comments.

I hadn't read them and still haven't.:p

Gary Lyon is an idiot.
Oh, with a hammy you are taken off straight away for assessment, but in the Cameron incident he was assessed on the ground.
Oh Gary. Do you not understand that a hammy injury stops you competing at 100% so you are a liability to the team. A head injury is not immediately apparent and all four limbs are generally working. So you are not a liability.
That’s why a hammy goes off and a head knock stays on. Not because of care for the player, but for impact on field.
He is an overpaid buffoon

Gary Lyon is an idiot.
Unless you're Brody Mihocek

Gary Lyon is an idiot.
Agreed! That first sentence is all you needed to type.

And... he is of low moral character and if the AFL are serious about developing a positive culture, then this guy shouldn't be on screens anywhere. Speaks sh!te and adds no value. No Brownlow, no Norm Smith, no Premiership.... just the captain of an ordinary football team. Get him off!

Robbo is as we speak giving congratulations to Brad Scott and everyone at the club

Did they win the flag and we missed it? Lol

So now we have both Carlton and Essendon prematurely congratulating themselves on winning the flag. Bodes well.😊

Gary Lyon is an idiot.
I thought Lyon made a fair point. Made sense to me.

Gary Lyon is an idiot.

Further to the above, why I thought Lyon made sense:

The brain is more important than a hamstring.

Protecting the brain should be more important than protecting a hamstring.

A player is removed from the field at the merest whiff of a hammy (unless you play for Port) and mostly does not return to the game.

Cameron fell about six feet onto his head, which actually bounced off the ground, was (albeit) briefly dazed and then stood to keep playing. The Geelong doc went to him on three occasions to do the HIA test (which is allowed to be done on field), in amongst play continuing. Cameron presumably answered the questions correctly (which our own beloved Murphy has revealed can be memorised), and was allowed to stay on field. Next day, he has concussion symptoms and is now in the protocols.

Lyon’s point that the HIA assessment is not good enough seems reasonable to me.

I thought Lyon made a fair point. Made sense to me.
You could see what he was trying to achieve, delivery was a bit of an issue, lost a little in translation.

The impact to the head has longer term issues, why don’t we take more time to assess like we do for a hamstring. I think that’s all he needed to say.

Problem is a hamstring is pretty much a known quantity straight away, a head can be delayed but you can also have head knock and be totally fine. Head knocks can also have a cumulative effect over time

Further to the above, why I thought Lyon made sense:

The brain is more important than a hamstring.

Protecting the brain should be more important than protecting a hamstring.

A player is removed from the field at the merest whiff of a hammy (unless you play for Port) and mostly does not return to the game.

Cameron fell about six feet onto his head, which actually bounced off the ground, was (albeit) briefly dazed and then stood to keep playing. The Geelong doc went to him on three occasions to do the HIA test (which is allowed to be done on field), in amongst play continuing. Cameron presumably answered the questions correctly (which our own beloved Murphy has revealed can be memorised), and was allowed to stay on field. Next day, he has concussion symptoms and is now in the protocols.

Lyon’s point that the HIA assessment is not good enough seems reasonable to me.

Players wave the trainer away all the time when he comes out due to them limping briefly after an incident, so his point didn't really make sense.

One of the issues with concussions is that they really don't know what damage is done - even from a scan. Such a tough area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back